Bruce Willis Stepping Away From Acting Following Aphasia Diagnosis

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Godspeed to Willis:

Bruce Willis’ family has announced the actor is retiring from the profession after being diagnosed with aphasia, a language disorder caused by brain damage that affects a person’s ability to communicate. Willis’ family members posted a joint statement to social media announcing the actor’s retirement.

“To Bruce’s amazing supporters, as a family we wanted to share that our beloved Bruce has been experiencing some health issues and has recently been diagnosed with aphasia, which is impacting his cognitive abilities,” the statement reads. “As a result of this and with much consideration Bruce is stepping away from the career that has meant so much to him.”

“This is a really challenging time for our family and we are so appreciative of your continued love, compassion and support,” the statement continues. “We are moving through this as a strong family unit, and wanted to bring his fans in because we know how much he means to you, as you do to him.
As Bruce always says, ‘Live it up’ and together we plan to do just that.”

Aphasia is just awful. One of my uncles had it and it was crushing to watch him know what word he wanted to say and be unable to say it. It such a horrible stressor for the person and their loved ones.

Apparently Willis has suddenly been in a huge number of crappy movies, often with almost no lines, so there had been a lot of rumors about dementia and his desire to work while he still could. Wishing nothing but good thoughts for he and his loved ones.

Really sad to hear this news. On a personal note, my father was diagnosed with aphasia, following a massive stroke. Therapy/rehab helped to some degree to where he was functional, but it was never really the same before and after. Ultimately he passed away 3 years after the stroke due to cancer (1 year ago).

He could never get beyond a sentence or 2 at most, and would still often respond with exactly the opposite to yes/no questions from what he really meant.

Quite a career for Willis, I thought he was really good as recently as 2019 in Motherless Brooklyn.

Really sad to hear this news. On a personal note, my father was diagnosed with aphasia, following a massive stroke. Therapy/rehab helped to some degree to where he was functional, but it was never really the same before and after. Ultimately he passed away 3 years after the stroke due to cancer (1 year ago).

He could never get beyond a sentence or 2 at most, and would still often respond with exactly the opposite to yes/no questions from what he really meant.

Quite a career for Willis, I thought he was really good as recently as 2019 in Motherless Brooklyn.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Ope3. Dealing with aphasia had to be very tough on him, you and your family. What an awful situation.

Willis is best known for his Die Hard movies which were amazing, but my favorite Willis movie was the Sixth Sense.

Go Gophers!!

Sorry to hear about your Dad Ope3. Dealing with aphasia had to be very tough on him, you and your family. What an awful situation.

Willis is best known for his Die Hard movies which were amazing, but my favorite Willis movie was the Sixth Sense.

Go Gophers!!
Thanks, much appreciated. Through it all we still bonded by following all the local sports teams. That was one aspect that felt like had never changed.

Even the TWolves, which was sort of strange because pre-health crisis I don't think he paid much attention to the NBA. Big KAT fan. He was really excited about Anthony Edwards in his rookie season, long before he was on my radar.

My 2 favorite Bruce Willis movies: Looper & Moonrise Kingdom.

Last edited:

Thanks, much appreciated. Through it all we still bonded by following all the local sports teams. That was one aspect that felt like had never changed.

Even the TWolves, which was sort of strange because pre-health crisis I don't think he paid much attention to the NBA. Big KAT fan. He was really excited about Anthony Edwards in his rookie season, long before he was on my radar.

My 2 favorite Bruce Willis movies: Looper & Moonrise Kingdom.

Very sorry to hear that. Though glad to hear your able to share his love of sports afterwards. If only for awhile.

Had a TIA last Fall. Confirmed after a battery of tests. Knew at the time that it wasn't a full blown stroke because, among other things, after a matter of minutes my ability to speak and move, came back.

Hope therapy can help Willis too.

Willis first hit with the TV show "Moonlighting," so people were looking at him as a romantic comedy guy.

"Die Hard" was only his 5th movie, but it moved him into the action-adventure genre.

I thought some of his best performances were in 'smaller' movies -
he did a movie called "In Country" where he played a Vietnam Vet trying to connect with his niece.
he did a movie called "Nobody's Fool" with Paul Newman where Willis played more of a character role.
and then the movies with M. Knight - "The 6th Sense" and "Unbreakable."
Of course, his part of "Pulp Fiction."

Then, there were a lot of big, dumb action movies. not my cup of tea, but they pay the bills.

Willis first hit with the TV show "Moonlighting," so people were looking at him as a romantic comedy guy.

"Die Hard" was only his 5th movie, but it moved him into the action-adventure genre.

I thought some of his best performances were in 'smaller' movies -
he did a movie called "In Country" where he played a Vietnam Vet trying to connect with his niece.
he did a movie called "Nobody's Fool" with Paul Newman where Willis played more of a character role.
and then the movies with M. Knight - "The 6th Sense" and "Unbreakable."
Of course, his part of "Pulp Fiction."

Then, there were a lot of big, dumb action movies. not my cup of tea, but they pay the bills.
Good call on Nobody's Fool.

Also a great guest whenever he appeared on Letterman.

Top Bottom