Bruce Feldman: Could Jim Harbaugh return to the NFL? 'I think it's real'

Can you imagine putting rtb on the Michigan helmets you love? Does that make it better for consideration lol
I could never have imagined it on the Gopher helmets either...

I don’t disagree with you, but know they would lose their shit a million times over what we did

Decent for football, but they are ugly as can be for hockey helmets.
Not to take this thread on a tangent, I am firmly against all NCAA hockey teams using the same helmet design as their football programs, especially Penn St, Michigan and Ohio State. I think they look terrible and silly.

I guess I will give Notre Dame a pass, just using a single solid color is ok, but even they should put a logo on their domes, IMO.

I teed up the idea of PJ to my buddy who's the big Michigan booster and he said no way. He doesn't think Fleck's style would work there, so take that for what it's worth.

I then asked about Fickell, and he stared at me then said "A Buckeye will never coach at Michigan" (and I'm sure Fickell feels the same way).
Which is pretty awkward for him considering Bo was an Ohio state assistant and from Ohio

Michigan cares way more than we do.

I would bet heavy against PJ even getting a call from Michigan let alone being under any real consideration. If Harbaugh leaves they want someone who can beat OSU not someone who likely keeps the status quo. I love PJ but he is not the guy who leads to teams to national titles IMHO. He is in that second tier of coaches who takes teams like a Minnesota and turns them into consistent winners.

Which is pretty awkward for him considering Bo was an Ohio state assistant and from Ohio
His dad and Bo were extremely close, so maybe he's looking past that inconvenient fact because of the relationship.

I like Gustavus' better.
I was going to reply with Carleton, but apparently they have changed their design sometime since I last saw them play, which is at least 15 years.

Michigan cares way more than we do.

I would bet heavy against PJ even getting a call from Michigan let alone being under any real consideration. If Harbaugh leaves they want someone who can beat OSU not someone who likely keeps the status quo. I love PJ but he is not the guy who leads to teams to national titles IMHO. He is in that second tier of coaches who takes teams like a Minnesota and turns them into consistent winners.
What's 1st tier other than Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney?

That is a fair question...tough to know but I would say there are plenty of coaches thought of much higher than PJ by most of the college football world. Not me mind you but I don't think the Michigan Alumni would be too pleased if he was the hire.

Seems to be picking up steam. Who does Michigan go after if he leaves?

Yes, that's the question, isn't it?

" I love PJ but he is not the guy who leads to teams to national titles IMHO. He is in that second tier of coaches who takes teams like a Minnesota and turns them into consistent winners."

So the qualifications as stated, to be considered in the "first tier" of coaches:

Qualification Number 1) Must lead teams to national titles.

Hmmmm... let's see. Who would our candidates be?

Certainly not Jim Harbaugh, since he's never led teams to national titles.

Not Luke Fickell; see above.

Same goes for... well, everybody, I guess. Except Saban and Swinney.

Okay; we now have two candidates. Get one of those two. Make it happen!

Continues to be a WHOLE lot of smoke in the air about Harbaugh to the Las Vegas Raiders. Harbaugh fell in love with the Raiders years ago, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he took the Raiders gig.

Could Harbaugh just be waiting out the spring signing day as a courtesy to Michigan, so as not to completely torpedo the Wolverines potential Feb 2 group of signees?

Still in the waning honeymoon stages after moving to Las Vegas, this feels like a move Mark Davis needs to make to keep enthusiasm high and Allegiant Stadium (the Death Star!) full after kicking Gruden to the curb.

Yes, that's the question, isn't it?

" I love PJ but he is not the guy who leads to teams to national titles IMHO. He is in that second tier of coaches who takes teams like a Minnesota and turns them into consistent winners."

So the qualifications as stated, to be considered in the "first tier" of coaches:

Qualification Number 1) Must lead teams to national titles.

Hmmmm... let's see. Who would our candidates be?

Certainly not Jim Harbaugh, since he's never led teams to national titles.

Not Luke Fickell; see above.

Same goes for... well, everybody, I guess. Except Saban and Swinney.

Okay; we now have two candidates. Get one of those two. Make it happen!
Ed Orgeron, Larry Coker, les miles

all tier 1

National titles are one of the least important metrics for judging college football coaches IMO

obviously they make Saban the greatest…but for 98% of college teams a national title isn’t even the primary goal. And that is what makes college football great. And that is what makes the playoff hype so stale.

I've always wondered how that Michigan helmet design relates to their Irish nickname.
They had a coach back in the 70s-80s that just did it. Blue and gold were the colors and he thought Michigan helmets seemed like a good idea.

They won a state title in 81 or 82 or something.

They got really bad in the 90s and early 2000: when Eagan and Eastview opened and really thinned their population. Dropped down a class for a time. New coach who they currently have still brought back the state title uniforms when he took over.

So originally it was head coach’s pretty random decision. Now it is state title nostalgia.

More smoke today about Harbaugh going to the raiders.

Seems like most posters here don't really worry that Michigan would take a serious look at Fleck. But I'm not so sure. I get that his "row The boat" shtick wouldn't exactly play super well in Michigan, but also all anybody cares about really is winning. Fleck has a better track record than most, and I think that if we hadn't lost to Bowling Green and Illinois this year, he would be very highly sought for this job.

If you really like Fleck for the Gophers, like I do, that's the big silver lining from those two losses this year. I think it took him out of contention for a lot of big time jobs that opened up this year. And if Michigan happens to be one of them, that's one place where I really thought there'd be a good chance that Fleck would jump to if offered.

I’m not worried because I think Fleck’s resume is below what Michigan will aim for. I agree that Fleck would look a lot better (and I would be more worried) if the team was 10-2 last year with wins over BGSU and Illinois.

I’m not worried because I think Fleck’s resume is below what Michigan will aim for. I agree that Fleck would look a lot better (and I would be more worried) if the team was 10-2 last year with wins over BGSU and Illinois.
Who are they getting at this point? I almost think they go interim for a year.

More smoke today about Harbaugh going to the raiders.

Seems like most posters here don't really worry that Michigan would take a serious look at Fleck. But I'm not so sure. I get that his "row The boat" shtick wouldn't exactly play super well in Michigan, but also all anybody cares about really is winning. Fleck has a better track record than most, and I think that if we hadn't lost to Bowling Green and Illinois this year, he would be very highly sought for this job.

If you really like Fleck for the Gophers, like I do, that's the big silver lining from those two losses this year. I think it took him out of contention for a lot of big time jobs that opened up this year. And if Michigan happens to be one of them, that's one place where I really thought there'd be a good chance that Fleck would jump to if offered.

I agree that Fleck could be a legit target for Michigan. It's one of the few jobs I've always had concerns about him leaving for. Let's hope the Raiders go in a different direction and we "survive and advance" another round of rumors.

Go Gophers!!

Who are they getting at this point? I almost think they go interim for a year.
Michigan sees other teams hire Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley, and Mario Cristobal who have all won their conference and/or been to the CFP. Do you think they’ll be happy with a coach who has been in the Big Ten for 5 years and hasn’t won his weak division, had a losing record last year, lost to the likes of Bowling Green and Illinois, and has struggled to beat his biggest rivals? PJ is a tier 2 or 3 candidate for Michigan.

Michigan sees other teams hire Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley, and Mario Cristobal who have all won their conference and/or been to the CFP. Do you think they’ll be happy with a coach who has been in the Big Ten for 5 years and hasn’t won his weak division, had a losing record last year, lost to the likes of Bowling Green and Illinois, and has struggled to beat his biggest rivals? PJ is a tier 2 or 3 candidate for Michigan.
Good points, but I think the fact that Fleck had high-profile success at Western Michigan may mitigate the fact he hasn't won the B1G West during his five-year tenure here. Michigan (at least the Western part) knows him and that could play into any pursuit of him by the Wolverines.

I don't follow the NFL that closely anymore, but I haven't heard Harbaugh's name come up in any of the coaching carousel chatter that I've heard (which as previously admitted is pretty little).

My 2 cents is he'll stay at Michigan. He's angling to get a big payday after finally winning the Big Ten and getting a CFP invite, as well as seeing what Mel Tucker is getting paid down the road at MSU.

My 2 cents is he'll stay at Michigan. He's angling to get a big payday after finally winning the Big Ten and getting a CFP invite, as well as seeing what Mel Tucker is getting paid down the road at MSU.
Precisely. He's done more than Tucker, and now he has the leverage to get paid more than Tucker.

Top Bottom