Bruce Feldman’s 2020 college football Freaks List (5. Boye Mafe, Minnesota, defensive line)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Feldman:

5. Boye Mafe, Minnesota, defensive line
Freakiest attribute: Vertical leap

Last year Minnesota was represented by offensive tackle Daniel Faalele, the biggest man in the sport. This year, the Golden Gophers’ biggest Freak is one the other side the line of scrimmage. Inside the Gophers’ program, they’re expecting a big year from Mafe, who had flashed some of his potential in 2019 (3.5 tackles for loss and three sacks). Very few guys his size can jump the way the 6-4, 260-pounder can. His vertical is 40½ inches. That’s 4½ inches higher than any defensive lineman at the NFL combine this year. He can touch the top of the square on a basketball backboard.

But it’s not just his vertical. All of his numbers that are head-turning. Mafe has broad jumped 10-6. He has run a 4.57 40. His 10-yard split is 1.58. His short shuttle is 4.3. He can power clean 400 pounds and squats 653. It’s just a whole lot of wow stuff.

Go Gophers!!

😱😱 Man do I want to see the maroon and gold out there on Saturdays this fall... 😬😬😬

per Feldman:

5. Boye Mafe, Minnesota, defensive line
Freakiest attribute: Vertical leap

Last year Minnesota was represented by offensive tackle Daniel Faalele, the biggest man in the sport. This year, the Golden Gophers’ biggest Freak is one the other side the line of scrimmage. Inside the Gophers’ program, they’re expecting a big year from Mafe, who had flashed some of his potential in 2019 (3.5 tackles for loss and three sacks). Very few guys his size can jump the way the 6-4, 260-pounder can. His vertical is 40½ inches. That’s 4½ inches higher than any defensive lineman at the NFL combine this year. He can touch the top of the square on a basketball backboard.

But it’s not just his vertical. All of his numbers that are head-turning. Mafe has broad jumped 10-6. He has run a 4.57 40. His 10-yard split is 1.58. His short shuttle is 4.3. He can power clean 400 pounds and squats 653. It’s just a whole lot of wow stuff.

Go Gophers!!
The lifting numbers are especially amazing when you consider how relatively long his legs are.

The longer your limbs, the exponentially harder it is to perform a repetition at any particular weight, compared to a shorter limbed person.

Danielle Hunter only had 4.5 career sacks at LSU, but similar athleticism resulted in a 3rd round draft pick. Mafe’s ceiling is just as high, IMO.

Mafe high jumped 6'7" in high school at 225 lbs. I saw him jumping at the state track meet, where he only made 6'4". He very much stood out, being surrounded by a bunch of 6'3", 160 pound string-beans. Freaky athlete. I think he could be something we haven't had at the U. Excited to see his growth as a DE.

I hadn’t seen Mafe’s Auburn sack from this angle. Watch how fast that freak got to the QB on that play.

I hadn’t seen Mafe’s Auburn sack from this angle. Watch how fast that freak got to the QB on that play.

Damn that is impressive. Lined up as a 3-tech, QB ran away from his side, and he still beat the DE on that side to the ball.

The lifting numbers are especially amazing when you consider how relatively long his legs are.

The longer your limbs, the exponentially harder it is to perform a repetition at any particular weight, compared to a shorter limbed person.
this is incorrect. the strongest men in the world are considered to be hafthor bjornssen and brian shaw. bjornssen is 6’9” and shaw is 6’8”.

this is incorrect. the strongest men in the world are considered to be hafthor bjornssen and brian shaw. bjornssen is 6’9” and shaw is 6’8”.
The physics fact of what I said was and is correct.

I did not state or claim that tall people can’t be strong.

Damn that is impressive. Lined up as a 3-tech, QB ran away from his side, and he still beat the DE on that side to the ball.

Yeah, we saw how much faster he is than Otomewo and Devers on that play. Nix runs a 4.7 and was moving pretty good. Boye reeled him pretty easily.

Great homegrown talent that a lot of programs would like to have right now. Classic example of MN talent being under-scouted and under-recruited. Young man has quite a motor for his size. A breakout year this year (knock on wood) and maybe he turns some NFL heads.

Top Bottom