Brohmn staying at Purdue

If Brohm had given up 55 points to U of I he would not have been considered for that job. I don't think it has anything to do with win totals so much as consistency and a low-key personality.
I've noticed Fleck has toned his external marketing down a lot since getting here so I assume it won't be long before people start sniffing at him too.

Again, he lost to eastern michigan. Louisville would have considered Brohm even if he was doing a worse at Purdue, he already did great at WKU and has quite a bit of experience as a coordinator/position coach. Plus his ties to Louisville are so strong that their would be an uproar if he wasn't at least considered.

PJ isn't going anywhere. He will be a great coach at Minnesota. Even he knows he isn't a reload 'em coach. He is a break it down and build it from the ground up coach. That is not fun to lather rinse repeat. As you get older the thrill leaves. He has done most of the heavy work here to build the program he wants. Program he demands.

Purdue has a higher ceiling than Louisville. Brohm should stay until USC, Notre Dame types come calling. That might be never. Brohm isn't invested in Purdue like PJ is at Minnesota.

What makes you think Purdue has a higher ceiling than Louisville?

IMO it is all about momentum. He seems to have it at Purdue. No guarantee he would at Louisville.

Everyone realizes that Purdue is going to pay him $6M per year and Louisville offered $5M and he will be the Louisville coach in 2-3 years?

Purdue is getting played by their coach. However, Purdue will be in a better place when he leaves.

Louisville is in a bind right now with Petrino's contract/buyout and can't give Brohm the long term deal he wants.

I don’t understand all the excitement about JB. I believe he’s a good coach, but I don’t believe he’s a great coach. Time will tell, however I’m much happier with Fleck. JB has gone 7-5 and 6-6, and yes they beat OSU, but they have a history of playing them tough; for some reason it just happens to work out that way. I believe the Gopher’s will out perform Purdue over time.

The legend grew with the win over Ohio State. Leading up to our game with Purdue you would have thought he had them on the cusp of the CFP while Fleck had us on our way to the dumpster. As it all played out both teams finished with the same record and of course we destroyed them in the head to head matchup.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Purdue next year. According to a depth chart they had posted they lose 8 starters and 6 2nd string players off of their offense which was clearly the strength of the team. Included in that is the majority of their offensive line. Defensively they bring back pretty much everyone. Special teams will have to replace both kickers.

Those offensive loses could be devastating but don't know enough about what they might have in the pipeline behind those guys.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/purdue/91717

The legend grew with the win over Ohio State. Leading up to our game with Purdue you would have thought he had them on the cusp of the CFP while Fleck had us on our way to the dumpster. As it all played out both teams finished with the same record and of course we destroyed them in the head to head matchup.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Purdue next year. According to a depth chart they had posted they lose 8 starters and 6 2nd string players off of their offense which was clearly the strength of the team. Included in that is the majority of their offensive line. Defensively they bring back pretty much everyone. Special teams will have to replace both kickers.

Those offensive loses could be devastating but don't know enough about what they might have in the pipeline behind those guys.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/purdue/91717

Well yeah, pretty close. They were in the hunt for the West and MN was getting their butts run off the field every week. Let’s not be intellectually dishonest - up until Purdue came to MN this year Purdue had performed far more impressively week in/week out except the derp to EMU as noted. Defeating Iowa twice (once in Iowa City), Ohio State, BC and a bunch of tight games trumped PJs accomplishments by a wide margin. Even with the MN late season recovery Brohm has I believe 9 Big Ten wins while PJ has 5.

I’m as excited as anyone about MN going forward but to downplay what Brohm did with the worst recruits in the Big Ten is very odd.

What makes you think Purdue has a higher ceiling than Louisville?

Louisville was a flash in the pan. They improved their recruiting with QB’s and speed and dominated in a weak conference. They are no longer the top dog by moving to the ACC. Purdue has the BTN money and the chance to compete in the west.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well yeah, pretty close. They were in the hunt for the West and MN was getting their butts run off the field every week. Let’s not be intellectually dishonest - up until Purdue came to MN this year Purdue had performed far more impressively week in/week out except the derp to EMU as noted. Defeating Iowa twice (once in Iowa City), Ohio State, BC and a bunch of tight games trumped PJs accomplishments by a wide margin. Even with the MN late season recovery Brohm has I believe 9 Big Ten wins while PJ has 5.

I’m as excited as anyone about MN going forward but to downplay what Brohm did with the worst recruits in the Big Ten is very odd.

I agree that the first two years under Brohm (especially to that point) had/have been more impressive than Fleck's but the way some were talking about him and what he was doing was a little over the top. He brought in JC guys and Grad transfers and had a 5th year SR QB. His philosophy and Fleck's differ in that Brohm clearly was trying to win right away while Fleck is taking more of a long view.

He seems to be doing a good job there and I am sure Purdue is thrilled he is sticking around. Will be interesting to see what happens to them next year though when they have to replace nearly the entire offense.

Top Bottom