Brohm sucks

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I was fairly nervous about Purdue entering the season and I still believe they are capable of beating anyone, particularly at home. So I am glad the Gophers catch them in Mpls this season.

But, they have problems this year and it seems these problems directly or indirectly have Brohm’s fingerprints on them.

Directly, he was a huge factor in the loss to Penn State with his head scratching clock management and refusal to run the ball to drain clock in the game’s final minutes when it appeared the game was won.

Indirectly, the lack of discipline on his team also points to him as the head coach. Purdue seemed to have their game with Syracuse won at least twice late, when unthinkable selfish undisciplined personal fouls on Boiler players allowed Syracuse back in the game, prior to eventually winning it.

Any kid can flip out and cost his team as a one-off. But it happened multiple times yesterday with the dumbest of dumb personal fouls committed at crucial times. Too many, and at the worst times to not question coaching.

I was fairly nervous about Purdue entering the season and I still believe they are capable of beating anyone, particularly at home. So I am glad the Gophers catch them in Mpls this season.

But, they have problems this year and it seems these problems directly or indirectly have Brohm’s fingerprints on them.

Directly, he was a huge factor in the loss to Penn State with his head scratching clock management and refusal to run the ball to drain clock in the game’s final minutes when it appeared the game was won.

Indirectly, the lack of discipline on his team also points to him as the head coach. Purdue seemed to have their game with Syracuse won at least twice late, when unthinkable selfish undisciplined personal fouls on Boiler players allowed Syracuse back in the game, prior to eventually winning it.

Any kid can flip out and cost his team as a one-off. But it happened multiple times yesterday with the dumbest of dumb personal fouls committed at crucial times. Too many, and at the worst times to not question coaching.
At least one of those fouls was on Brohm so you can call it directly if you’d like.

Yeah Brohm's tenure has certainly been a roller coaster. His 2018 team lost to Eastern Michigan and then curb stomped an Ohio State team that won the B1G and the Rose Bowl. Just can't find consistency.

College football has obviously changed a lot, but I think it still shows how solid of a coach Tiller was to have Purdue consistently having winning seasons.

Yup.

He's definitely better than prior coach but Purdue struggles on defense and running, two musts in b1g

I thought the ref really was overbearing in that last series.

I don’t recall any successful offensive play (except the TD) on that drive by Syracuse.

Every penalty was questionable. Especially the Pass Interference. The Syracuse player grabbed the defender. Should have offensive.

They also missed probably the most egregious holding call, where a Purdue DT broke through the line and was pulled down by his head. Instead, on that play , they called an irrelevant Defensive Hold.

It was odd to me.

The problem is Purdue isn't likely to do any better with the next coach, esp. if you fire him now. Who wants to take over a mediocre football program with limited potential and unrealistic expectations for their coach?

I don’t recall any successful offensive play (except the TD) on that drive by Syracuse.

Every penalty was questionable. Especially the Pass Interference. The Syracuse player grabbed the defender. Should have offensive.

They also missed probably the most egregious holding call, where a Purdue DT broke through the line and was pulled down by his head. Instead, on that play , they called an irrelevant Defensive Hold.

It was odd to me.
I didn't see the game and if that happened I'm sure Brohm has talked about it. He always has an excuse and blames someone else. It seems like that team is always complaining after a loss. He is a great OC but not a leader or a good head coach. I hope purdue keeps him.

Must be that culture thing...oh wait, that's Frost and Nebbie...or both...

It was odd to me.
I was hoping Purdue would win and I still thought all the calls were legit. Purdue beat themselves.

The problem is Purdue isn't likely to do any better with the next coach, esp. if you fire him now. Who wants to take over a mediocre football program with limited potential and unrealistic expectations for their coach?
I don't think his seat is hot, or warm.

Yeah Brohm's tenure has certainly been a roller coaster. His 2018 team lost to Eastern Michigan and then curb stomped an Ohio State team that won the B1G and the Rose Bowl. Just can't find consistency.

College football has obviously changed a lot, but I think it still shows how solid of a coach Tiller was to have Purdue consistently having winning seasons.
Yes, Tiller took over when Purdue was at rock bottom too, and the Gophers were right with them. Both teams have no defense. Glen Mason took over at Minnesota the same year as Tiller at Purdue. Both coaches did the job of getting these programs back to respectability. I'm sure Tiller's record was better than Mason's but Tiller had Drew Brees and Kyle Orton to work with.

It was odd to me.

Yeah, the missed offensive hold was pretty bad. Big Ten officials?

Yes, Big Ten.

My understanding is the pay isn’t great, and there are few to no repercussions for “missing” calls. The league is only interested in circling the wagons and promoting the appearance of competence and fair play. We as fans have to accept it, or find other hobbies. I think the officials should be paid appropriately, for starters.

Sonofabitchin' Schnauzer, steals my idea for a thread... WTF....

Kidding, kidding, glad someone finally had the stones to start this long, LONG overdue thread.

Serious question - what exactly do you think Purdue's ceiling is?

I was hoping Purdue would win and I still thought all the calls were legit. Purdue beat themselves.
There was .51 seconds left. They got 50 yards in penalties. Neither unsportsmanlike needed to be called.

The PI was thrown five yards out of bounds. The receiver didn’t look back. He was too busy wrapping up the CB. The flag, was late. It was reaction to the WR hurting his arm, after smacking it on the DBs head.

everyone I knew thought that missed hold was the worst of it.

Bottom line, Syracuse never did anything positive. Still somehow marched the entire field and won in 45 seconds on 1/7 passing and 25 yards. Absolutely ref hating on Brohm.

I wanted Cuse to beat him, but by playing football.

Pu

Purdue doesn’t refuse to run the ball, Purdue CAN’T run the ball. Big difference

The Boilermakers' lack of team discipline is symptomatic of the culture and the head coach.

Yes, they were unlucky with critical injuries. So did the Gophers last season.

They have no shortage of talent. They have a dynamic WR in portal transfer Charlie Jones from Iowa. He is going to be a challenge for Big Ten Secondaries.

Tiller a bit overrated in my mind. He won a 3 way tie for a big ten title once BUT

Never had fewer than 3 regular season losses.
Never won 10 games.

Last year’s Purdue team matches tiller’s best record and tiller only played an 8 game conference schedule.

But tiller did win one 3 way tie for the big ten title. Giving him immortality. The difference between tiller and brohm is smaller than some might think.
Tiller with 7 5+ loss seasons in 12 years.

Tiller a bit overrated in my mind. He won a 3 way tie for a big ten title once BUT

Never had fewer than 3 regular season losses.
Never won 10 games.

Last year’s Purdue team matches tiller’s best record and tiller only played an 8 game conference schedule.

But tiller did win one 3 way tie for the big ten title. Giving him i
I suppose I was thinking more relatively in comparison to other Purdue coaches. Since 1980 he seems like the only one who was able to keep the Boilermakers on track. Plus, while it was a three way tie, he still got Purdue to Pasadena.

I suppose I was thinking more relatively in comparison to other Purdue coaches. Since 1980 he seems like the only one who was able to keep the Boilermakers on track. Plus, while it was a three way tie, he still got Purdue to Pasadena.
Indeed. When Tiller got the job Purdue only had 5 winning seasons in the previous 18 years. Tiller only had 2 losing seasons in his 12 years.

Tiller replaced Jim Colletto, who went 38-80-4. Who replaced Fred Akers who went 12-31-1 who replaced Leon Burnett, who went 21-34-1.

Compared to those records, Tiller's 126-92-1 certainly stands out.

Last edited:

In that same era northwestern and Illinois went to a rose bowl. Wisconsin revived in the 90s.

It sucks for us that the gophers weren’t ready yet while Ohio state was in the cooper era.

Top Bottom