Brodrick Smith transferring?

Quote: I pity your hopefully yet unborn children....

You shouldn't because I have two great kids. You will learn when you grow up. If you do it right your children will want to live up to the expectations that you have for them. There is nothing complicated or mysterious about it.

Quote: I'm willing to bet Broderick has you beat when it comes to maturity. You're ripping a 19 or 20 yr old kid for wanting to be close to his child. Real mature.

That is his story, but I don't believe it. Everything is about playing time in sports, and that is what I am going with. Broderick is not the first college football player to impregnate his girlfriend. I have zero tolerance for anyone above the age of 16 who is not smart enough to figure out a way to keep their girlfriend from becoming pregnant. It is not as if there isn't any information about it out there.

Aha...So with no evidence you choose to assume the worst and just make up your mind that it HAS to be some other reason. God knows what you'd say about these kids during a game if beer was allowed into TCF... :rolleyes: You sir, are a jacka**.

You shouldn't because I have two great kids. You will learn when you grow up. If you do it right your children will want to live up to the expectations that you have for them. There is nothing complicated or mysterious about it.

You have kids and you're calling this teenage kid out for trying to be a better father? Yikes...I sure hope you teach your kids more compassion for others then you are choosing to show here.

Good luck to Smith. About the only way this can hurt the Gophers is if it puts further stress on the scholarship thing with the NCAA rules about transfers out. Hopefully he was in good shape with his grades and will go on to graduate where ever he may end up.

It is funny all the things that are not predicted by the number of stars attached to a recruit. You just never know what will happen from day to day.

UpnorthGo4 are you kidding me? You sir are a complete idiot, and what gives you the right to bash a teen for making an adult decision. Unfortunately, some kids are put in tough spots, and I'm glad Mr. Smith is making the correct decision to help out his family. If your moniker has any relevance to your location, please stay up north with your narrow minded comments... Way to set a good example for your kids!

Birdy,are you sick??? No bad mouthing Brewster???? Thank you, maybe you will finally be positive.

Yes, it was questionable to accept a scholarship that would take him away from his family. Perhaps he thought he could handle it, but clearly he was wrong. I commend him for trying to do right by his kid instead of just run away from it like others have.

This has to be the post of the year! Is this Broderick's son?

Naw, just the moron who thinks brew is running off CDH kids at the same time he is trying to recruit a CDH stud who just happens to be the #1 recruit in the nation. :rolleyes:

How much more time will he have for his kid at K-State than here? Some I guess, but it is not like he is going to be a full-time dad playing college football and trying to keep his head above water in college which I think is a much greater challenge for some of these young men than most people realize.

This pretty much encapsulates what I was going to type. It's nearly 300 miles from Manhattan to Garden City. It's not like a full-time "scholar" and football player has 10 hours of drive time at his disposal on a whim.

It could very well be about family, but I doubt it. If it were, he surely could find a lower-level school much closer to home than 280 miles and have plenty of time to spend with his son.

More likely is the fact that he knew he would be pretty deep in the rotation here, and he sees a program in transition at K State, with the opportunity to start for 3 years after his transfer year.

It's detestable to me when people use family as an excuse for their real motives. They do this because they know people will hesitate to question it. Like I said, if that is his real impetus, then more power to him. However, something about this doesn't sit quite right.

This pretty much encapsulates what I was going to type. It's nearly 300 miles from Manhattan to Garden City. It's not like a full-time "scholar" and football player has 10 hours of drive time at his disposal on a whim.

It could very well be about family, but I doubt it. If it were, he surely could find a lower-level school much closer to home than 280 miles and have plenty of time to spend with his son.

More likely is the fact that he knew he would be pretty deep in the rotation here, and he sees a program in transition at K State, with the opportunity to start for 3 years after his transfer year.

It's detestable to me when people use family as an excuse for their real motives. They do this because they know people will hesitate to question it. Like I said, if that is his real impetus, then more power to him. However, something about this doesn't sit quite right.

While he might now have the ability to initiate the travel and contact on a regular basis, this doesn't mean it wouldn't be easier for his family to make the trip to see him. 10 hours of drive time starts to look a lot better when you compare it to over 26 hours of drive time to MN.

Quote: Too bad, the kid showed real promise. Sometimes, you make mistakes as a young adult deciding on where you go to college. If you're going to badmouth the guy for wanting to go back home, maybe you shouldn't cheer for Royston or Carufel this season, otherwise you look like quite a hypocrite.

I am not a fan of either player because they quit on their teammates when the going got tough. However, at least Royston didn't make his decision until the end of the season. Caurfel quit on his teammates in the middle of the season. It remains to be seen whether or not he will be a guy who the Gophers will be able to count on in crucial situations.

Ever been divorced, broke up with a girlfriend, quit a job? Stuff happens.

If you are going to be sooo judgemental then don't you owe it to yourself and certainly the people who you are judging to be somewhat informed of their situation? In Kim's case he transferred because his head coach ignored and overruled what his position coach and d-coordinator said that Kim had earned. As to his former teammates? Did you notice all the CURRENT Badger players at the Gophers spring football game? They were here to support him and they admire him for doing what most of them would like to do...leave.

And the most important thing you don't understand is Kim wanted to play for the gophers in the first place (my fault he didn't), when he decided to transfer he only considered one place (his original first choice), he gave up several full rides to come home and play for Coach Brewster and the Golden Gophers.

Children are not robots. Regardless of how you raise them, they might want to live up to your expectations, or they might have their own ideas. The one thing they are often very good at is keeping a lot from you while telling you what you want to hear.

Whatever his reason is, it doesn't matter, he's gone. It's too bad, he would have been fun to watch. Best of luck to him.

On the other hand, his departure will provide more oppotunity for others to step up & excel. It's not like he was going to be the sole determining factor on this season's success. Time to reload and come out firing!!!:rockon::drink::cool03:

Life happens, you deal with it. Broderick isn't the first kid to have a child out of wedlock, and he won't be the last. In this day, how can anyone be upset with a guy trying to be a father. Look at society, we probably could need a few more like him.

As much as I love Gopher football, if tomorrow TCF Bank Stadium burned to the ground and for some reason they shut down Gopher football... guess what... I would still have my family, job, etc. 5 years from now, Broderick won't have Gopher football in his day to day life, but hopefully he will still have his child and gf (hopefully wife by then) in his life.

Smith was pushed to Minnesota by his mother because she's from Worthington and her entire family still lives there. I'm surprised that something couldn't be worked out to have his girlfriend/kid move closer to Smith rather than the other way around, unless, of course, this really is about playing time.

Also, I'm not sure that Smith getting a degree from crapass KSU is good for his kid in the longterm. Why not go to Colorado? Manhattan and Boulder are about equidistant. Kansas isn't much farther away, neither is Oklahoma St.

Sportsfan24 Just curious....

If you are going to be sooo judgemental then don't you owe it to yourself and certainly the people who you are judging to be somewhat informed of their situation? In Kim's case he transferred because his head coach ignored and overruled what his position coach and d-coordinator said that Kim had earned. As to his former teammates? Did you notice all the CURRENT Badger players at the Gophers spring football game? They were here to support him and they admire him for doing what most of them would like to do...leave.

And the most important thing you don't understand is Kim wanted to play for the gophers in the first place (my fault he didn't), when he decided to transfer he only considered one place (his original first choice), he gave up several full rides to come home and play for Coach Brewster and the Golden Gophers.

How is it your fault that Royston didn't come to Minnesota in the first place? I think I saw you on a Badgers board, but I'm not sure. Also, was there a group of Badger players at the spring game? I didn't see them.

Again, just curious.

UpNorth,

Let me be devil's advocate for a moment...He wasnt mature enough to be a father before, but moving closer to home to be with his son is an immature action?

I dont know this young man or what his family situation is, but it isnt very often that Coach Brewster comes out and says what he said about a kid transferring. Frankly, i am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him luck.

If you know something more about this than the very limited amount that i do, i am all ears.

Christ, I accidentally deleted my three paragraph post.

You might just as well let this topic go...There will be something that comes along that will make you forget all about this one. Remember, news usually comes in 3's.....errrrr5's, make that 7's. We have a long time to go until the end of August. There could be a lot of news breaking, both good, or bad between now and then.

You can never count on a player to be ready to go...or to be there until Game Day Saturday actually rolls around. In the end, you line up with who you have and you go with it!

You might just as well let this topic go...There will be something that comes along that will make you forget all about this one. Remember, news usually comes in 3's.....errrrr5's, make that 7's. We have a long time to go until the end of August. There could be a lot of news breaking, both good, or bad between now and then.

You can never count on a player to be ready to go...or to be there until Game Day Saturday actually rolls around. In the end, you line up with who you have and you go with it!

Was that actually a somewhat positive post???

:clap::clap::clap:
________
Herb scales

How is it your fault that Royston didn't come to Minnesota in the first place? I think I saw you on a Badgers board, but I'm not sure. Also, was there a group of Badger players at the spring game? I didn't see them.

Again, just curious.

Why was it my fault? It's a long story but I will sum it up this way. The majority of people from my generation and community never bonded with the university and therefore don't (didn't) hold any special feelings for the hometown school. It was in that vain I encouraged Kim to attend a school out of state.

Coach Brewster is changing those feelings. Not only is coach paying attention and actively recruiting the metro area, his personality connects with those players. In addition I realized that sometimes as a parent we should not allow our own personal feelings to impact the parental advice and guidance we give to our children.

During spring football practices as well as the game itself there were numerous current Badgers in attendance in support of their friend.

It did not go unnoticed. I was impressed by Kim's sacrifices to be here. I think others remember what he had to go through, and give up to come home.

Why was it my fault? It's a long story but I will sum it up this way. The majority of people from my generation and community never bonded with the university and therefore don't (didn't) hold any special feelings for the hometown school. It was in that vain I encouraged Kim to attend a school out of state.

Coach Brewster is changing those feelings. Not only is coach paying attention and actively recruiting the metro area, his personality connects with those players. In addition I realized that sometimes as a parent we should not allow our own personal feelings to impact the parental advice and guidance we give to our children.

During spring football practices as well as the game itself there were numerous current Badgers in attendance in support of their friend.

I get and have lived a little of the long story in general. However I was "born" into Gopher football.

Thanks for the reply and best wishes to you and your son.

Top Bottom