Brock Vereen to the Bears

In a strange way I wonder if Vereen is almost in a similar situation to his first year at MN where he was thrown to the wolves right away because we didn't have anyone else. Rookies start all the time but Chicago's safeties have been so bad he may play even if he's not quite ready

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bears&src=hash">#Bears</a> 4th rounder Brock Vereen should take hold of the starting FS role and never look back.</p>— Louis Riddick (@LRiddickESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/statuses/471674995857715200">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I am impressed with how often I have heard Vereen's name come up. I've heard him on discussed on ESPN radio several times and, this morning, heard him referenced again on NFL radio. The consistent theme is players (not first round) who have a shot at starting and need to seize the moment. He's got some hype building around him and a starting gig seems attainable. It will be fun to watch it play out.

My perspective is different living in upstate NY, but I think I've heard Vereen mentioned more than almost any other draft pick (except for Johnny Football, of course, and a few other first rounders). Certainly, was not what I expected.

out here in the Chicago area they're still reporting on the radio that Brock is working with the 1st team at safety still.

Chicago's starting safety had a poor year last year and is still recovering from shoulder surgery. Brock is in a good situation to get lots of reps and make a bid for the starting position.

out here in the Chicago area they're still reporting on the radio that Brock is working with the 1st team at safety still.

Chicago's starting safety had a poor year last year and is still recovering from shoulder surgery. Brock is in a good situation to get lots of reps and make a bid for the starting position.

Is it Cante that is out? I remember the NFL Live people on ESPN saying that the vet might be in trouble because Brock is getting a lot of extra reps and experience and Cante(?) might have trouble regaining the starting spot.

Is it Cante that is out? I remember the NFL Live people on ESPN saying that the vet might be in trouble because Brock is getting a lot of extra reps and experience and Cante(?) might have trouble regaining the starting spot.

Yea. Bears fans would've tarred and feathered both Canty and Major Wright last year but Canty got the brunt of it. General consensus is that he's not as bad as he played last year but he's still extremely replaceable and may even get cut if a guy like Brock steps up

Conte is having shoulder surgery and won't be back for a while.

The bears also signed M.D. Jennings at safety. Him and Brock are running with the first team.

ESPN: Observations: Vereen challenging at FS

Vereen took all the first-team reps at safety alongside free-agent signee Ryan Mundy on Wednesday, as veterans Chris Conte and Craig Steltz continue to be sidelined due to injuries. M.D. Jennings and Danny McCray handled the reps on the second team.

"I wouldn't say [I'm] shocked [by the starters reps], but I know nothing is set," Vereen said. "I'm just coming in and working hard. If that gets me on the field, then so be it.

"It's really starting to slow down for me out there. Now I'm able to react rather than to have to think about it."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bea...ereen-challenging-at-fs?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom