Bright Future for Gophers (Iowa perspective)

PapaHawk21

Reaction score
Pitino's Gophers could have stolen a victory at CHA last night. Peter Jok and Jarrod Uthoff delivered for Iowa (the way upperclassman are supposed to) when they needed a boost.

Mason and Murphy are both excellent players with plenty of upside. McBrayer will improve and be a good player for the Gophers in the years to come.

I'm glad Iowa doesn't have to play Minnesota at The Barn this season. Iowa escaped Williams Arena in 2012 and 2015 with 2 point victories but that place has been a house of horrors for the last 10 years.

I don't follow basketball recruiting but one has to believe that Pitino is going to bring in talent to complement the existing youth and talent on the 2015-2016 Gophers.

I know moral victories are ephemeral and do little, but the Gophers are probably the best 0-13 major conference team I've ever watched play.

Best of luck against Maryland on Thursday.

Appreciate the positive feedback. And we do have a top 25 class coming in next season.

Thanks for post PapaHawk21. Much appreciated.

We hope we can model the Iowa program trajectory that Fran has built.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for post PapaHawk21. Much appreciated.

We hope we can model the Iowa program trajectory that Fran has built.

Go Gophers!!

Fran McCaffery has performed magic in Iowa City when one compares his results to Mr. Lickliter's tenure with the Hawkeyes. Iowa is enjoying the fruits of incremental and at times, painstaking progress.

McCaffery's results:

2010-2011: 11-20 (4-14), No Postseason.
2011-2012: 18-17 (8-10), NIT Second Round.
2012-2013: 25-13 (9-9), NIT Runner-Up.
2013-2014: 20-13 (9-9), NCAA First Round (Play-In game).
2014-2015: 22-12 (12-6), NCAA Third Round (Field of 32).
2015-2016: 20-5 (11-2), TBD.

If Pitino can build on the base of talent he has brought to Minnesota now, I don't see any reason why the Gophers can't make it back to the NCAA Tournament like they did under Tubby Smith.

It's nice to have an encouraging post from a rival fan. Thanks.

Pitino's Gophers could have stolen a victory at CHA last night. Peter Jok and Jarrod Uthoff delivered for Iowa (the way upperclassman are supposed to) when they needed a boost.

Mason and Murphy are both excellent players with plenty of upside. McBrayer will improve and be a good player for the Gophers in the years to come.

I'm glad Iowa doesn't have to play Minnesota at The Barn this season. Iowa escaped Williams Arena in 2012 and 2015 with 2 point victories but that place has been a house of horrors for the last 10 years.

I don't follow basketball recruiting but one has to believe that Pitino is going to bring in talent to complement the existing youth and talent on the 2015-2016 Gophers.

I know moral victories are ephemeral and do little, but the Gophers are probably the best 0-13 major conference team I've ever watched play.

Best of luck against Maryland on Thursday.

They do remind me of Fran's first couple of Iowa squads. I remember Devon Marble, McCabe and White as Freshman and sophomores and thinking these guys are going to be really good one day. I get the same feeling watching the 3M's and Dorsey. Hoping guys like Coffey, Lynch, Curry etc have the same impact as Utoff, Gessel and Jok are having on your program. You guys have a nice squad this year, reminds of our 97 team. Starting five really compliments each other if you can get some production from the bench come tourney time to spell any potential foul trouble you guys could really make a run at it

Fran McCaffery has performed magic in Iowa City when one compares his results to Mr. Lickliter's tenure with the Hawkeyes. Iowa is enjoying the fruits of incremental and at times, painstaking progress.

McCaffery's results:

2010-2011: 11-20 (4-14), No Postseason.
2011-2012: 18-17 (8-10), NIT Second Round.
2012-2013: 25-13 (9-9), NIT Runner-Up.
2013-2014: 20-13 (9-9), NCAA First Round (Play-In game).
2014-2015: 22-12 (12-6), NCAA Third Round (Field of 32).
2015-2016: 20-5 (11-2), TBD.

If Pitino can build on the base of talent he has brought to Minnesota now, I don't see any reason why the Gophers can't make it back to the NCAA Tournament like they did under Tubby Smith.

What's that team look like next year? Jok and then what?

What's that team look like next year? Jok and then what?

Peter Jok
Ahmad Wagner
Dom Uhl
Christian Williams
Dale Jones/Nicholas Baer

It's tough to say exactly what the starting 5 will look like next year. McCaffery has recruited well on paper but next year will almost certainly be a rebuilding year of sorts for the Hawkeyes.

Peter Jok
Ahmad Wagner
Dom Uhl
Christian Williams
Dale Jones/Nicholas Baer

It's tough to say exactly what the starting 5 will look like next year. McCaffery has recruited well on paper but next year will almost certainly be a rebuilding year of sorts for the Hawkeyes.
Fran has a son whose pretty good right? Imagine he will show up in a couple years

Fran has a son whose pretty good right? Imagine he will show up in a couple years

Yes he has a son who is a HS junior who will join the program in fall of 2017. A 6-5-ish guard. Younger son who is a freshman in high school this year, already 6-7 and playing on the same team as the older boy. The younger one likely has a higher upside, given that he is already 6-7 and displays a good amount of perimeter and all-around basketball skills. If he grows further, could be very, very good.

Pitino's Gophers could have stolen a victory at CHA last night. Peter Jok and Jarrod Uthoff delivered for Iowa (the way upperclassman are supposed to) when they needed a boost. Mason and Murphy are both excellent players with plenty of upside. McBrayer will improve and be a good player for the Gophers in the years to come. I'm glad Iowa doesn't have to play Minnesota at The Barn this season. Iowa escaped Williams Arena in 2012 and 2015 with 2 point victories but that place has been a house of horrors for the last 10 years. I don't follow basketball recruiting but one has to believe that Pitino is going to bring in talent to complement the existing youth and talent on the 2015-2016 Gophers. I know moral victories are ephemeral and do little, but the Gophers are probably the best 0-13 major conference team I've ever watched play. Best of luck against Maryland on Thursday.

This type of outlook and positivity would get ripped to shreds if a Gopher fan posted it. Calm before the storm?

Top Bottom