Brief MN mentions in "Inside WI Recruiting" from The Athletic

laazrakit

Reaction score
The Athletic has an article about how Chryst and the Badgers are recruiting the state of Wisconsin. The Athletic interviewed a bunch of H.S. coaches from around the state. Huge article, but there were a few mentions of Minnesota:

Who does the best job recruiting your program outside the state?
Coach 1:
Illinois is cracking. They are cracking in this state. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a school pump in like that before. They’re dominating right now. I think they’re really good. Iowa used to be really good and when Tim Polasek left, I haven’t heard a single word from Iowa. I think Minnesota is terrible. I’ll be honest with you. I think they’re terrible at recruiting in the state of Wisconsin. Maybe they’re afraid of it. But I just don’t understand why some of these closer schools don’t go deeper into it. They can steal some of these kids if they just establish relationships. Minnesota must be establishing some relationships in small little pockets. But I would think Minnesota would have their grips on this place, but I don’t feel like they do.

Which coaches do you trust the least?
Coach 2:
The one right now that I would trust the least and have the least respect for is P.J. Fleck, without a doubt. And I wouldn’t have to think twice about who would be the first one I would say I wouldn’t trust or would have very little respect for. I think he’s all talk. I think he’s a very negative recruiter and I think he’s all talk and not a lot of substance.

How prevalent is negative recruiting in Wisconsin?
Coach 6:
I thought there would be more when I started this whole thing with coaching in high school. But I would say there’s little comments about maybe like P.J. Fleck and that type of thing. Multiple staffs have made little comments about P.J. Just about his energy and if it’s authentic or if it’s just a show he’s putting on.

Who are the best individual recruiters in your time?
Coach 4:
I would say Tim Polasek does an unbelievable job. Matt Simon, the current wide receiver coach at Minnesota, He was with P.J. at Western Michigan. I think he does an outstanding job as well. They both have different demeanors and different approaches. Tim Polasek is a little bit more high-energy kind of animated as opposed to Matt Simon is more of a laid-back type of approach. But I think they both use their personalities and they don’t try to be fake and they are who they are. I think kids and I appreciate that. And Chris Haering has done a great job, too. I’m probably more leaning towards guys that are relationship guys. I think that comes down to what recruiting is about.

Coach 2 definitely does not like P.J. Fleck. Coach 4 does seem to like Matt Simon, though... and coach 1 thinks Minnesota is doing a terrible job recruiting the state of Wisconsin.

Interesting. How much do you want to bet that these coaches are Badger homers and think he’s all hype because of their bias. Coach 2 obviously fits that. Probably extra bitter with losing this year would be my guess.
Yeah. Guessing they are homers.

The Athletic has an article about how Chryst and the Badgers are recruiting the state of Wisconsin. The Athletic interviewed a bunch of H.S. coaches from around the state. Huge article, but there were a few mentions of Minnesota:

Who does the best job recruiting your program outside the state?
Coach 1:
Illinois is cracking. They are cracking in this state. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a school pump in like that before. They’re dominating right now. I think they’re really good. Iowa used to be really good and when Tim Polasek left, I haven’t heard a single word from Iowa. I think Minnesota is terrible. I’ll be honest with you. I think they’re terrible at recruiting in the state of Wisconsin. Maybe they’re afraid of it. But I just don’t understand why some of these closer schools don’t go deeper into it. They can steal some of these kids if they just establish relationships. Minnesota must be establishing some relationships in small little pockets. But I would think Minnesota would have their grips on this place, but I don’t feel like they do.

Which coaches do you trust the least?
Coach 2:
The one right now that I would trust the least and have the least respect for is P.J. Fleck, without a doubt. And I wouldn’t have to think twice about who would be the first one I would say I wouldn’t trust or would have very little respect for. I think he’s all talk. I think he’s a very negative recruiter and I think he’s all talk and not a lot of substance.

How prevalent is negative recruiting in Wisconsin?
Coach 6:
I thought there would be more when I started this whole thing with coaching in high school. But I would say there’s little comments about maybe like P.J. Fleck and that type of thing. Multiple staffs have made little comments about P.J. Just about his energy and if it’s authentic or if it’s just a show he’s putting on.

Who are the best individual recruiters in your time?
Coach 4:
I would say Tim Polasek does an unbelievable job. Matt Simon, the current wide receiver coach at Minnesota, He was with P.J. at Western Michigan. I think he does an outstanding job as well. They both have different demeanors and different approaches. Tim Polasek is a little bit more high-energy kind of animated as opposed to Matt Simon is more of a laid-back type of approach. But I think they both use their personalities and they don’t try to be fake and they are who they are. I think kids and I appreciate that. And Chris Haering has done a great job, too. I’m probably more leaning towards guys that are relationship guys. I think that comes down to what recruiting is about.

Coach 2 definitely does not like P.J. Fleck. Coach 4 does seem to like Matt Simon, though... and coach 1 thinks Minnesota is doing a terrible job recruiting the state of Wisconsin.
If you want to make a difference, then you’ve got to be different.

Last edited:

I'm not convinced Minnesota needs a single player from wisconsin to be successful. It's a big country and we're not likely to beat wisconsin out for anyone meaningfully good from in-state.

Seems like the Gopher staff is more interested in making hay in Illinois. So while Bielema is working his old connections by flooding back in wisconsin, he's pulling the goalie in a state that produces more talent.

If the Gophers start stomping the Badgers on a regular basis, they will turn heads in the state of Wisconsin. If any of the current Gopher players and recruits start and get high marks, they will get noticed. If they end up getting drafted, we’ll hear more from Wisconsin recruits.

Interesting. I've always wondered why we struggle so much to pull Sconnie kids in both football and basketball.

Coach 2 is saying what 33% of people think about PJ. Its always going to be a running thread, he's just not your Woody Hayes coaching archetype who has a rough exterior and rules by fear. PJ is the energetic guy selling life building acronyms and a lot of people love to hate him. What matters is that he can get through to 18 year olds and recruit well. Eventually we will get more WI and MN O- lineman but as we know, the best recruits usually want to leave the state for a helmet school.

Of course some some Wisconsin high school coaches don’t like Fleck and his personality, there are plenty of gopher fans that don’t like it. I don’t know what seems fraudulent about it at this point though. First time hearing much about the negative recruiting from Fleck.

I do feel like we should be pulling more top 10 type kids out of Wisconsin. We seem to get a lot of PWOs and lower rated guys. Will be interesting to see if that changes if Fleck has some sustained success on the field vs the badgers. But I also don’t think recruiting Wisconsin is going make or break the program, but I do feel it would be helpful. I do think have a strong presence close to home helps, especially for player retention.

Interesting. How much do you want to bet that these coaches are Badger homers and think he’s all hype because of their bias. Coach 2 obviously fits that. Probably extra bitter with losing this year would be my guess.

Well, one could describe Chryst as dull but I guess one could also spin that as "authentic" since more people probably appear dull in cursory encounters than lively. In that case, I suppose Fleck could strike some as inauthentic but being a showboater just means that you like to put on a show for the audience, not that you can't be trusted.

So Illinois is 'cracking' and everyone hates PJ Fleck, but each school has one commit from Wisconsin currently...

It sounds like these Badger fan coaches are more bitter by how quickly PJ has closed the gap between the Minnesota and Wisconsin programs over the past 5 years.

So, let's see if I understand this: Fleck is "afraid" of recruiting in Wisconsin, Fleck is basically ignoring Wisconsin kids in recruiting... and yet Fleck is also doing a lot of negative recruiting in Wisconsin?

That is some weird Sconnie logic there. Contradict yourselves much?

So, let's see if I understand this: Fleck is "afraid" of recruiting in Wisconsin, Fleck is basically ignoring Wisconsin kids in recruiting... and yet Fleck is also doing a lot of negative recruiting in Wisconsin?

That is some weird Sconnie logic there. Contradict yourselves much?
I actually read the quote by it saying other coaches are negatively badmouthing PJ, rather than PJ being the one badmouthing others.

"Weren’t a threat to the Skunks for a decade or so. But the last four years have to be bugging the $#!+ out certain folks east of the border. Love it."

Yes. The Sconnies are running a bit scared these days.

And there will always be the Badger homers that will weigh in w “negativity” of there own.

That applies to most opposing fan bases although there is exceptional enmity between the fan bases of WI and MN. Opposing fans are always going to look for a reason to dislike an opposing program coach.

I actually read the quote by it saying other coaches are negatively badmouthing PJ, rather than PJ being the one badmouthing others.

You're right. They're still going with this "his energy isn't authentic" drivel. What nonsense.

I'll say this: if it comes down to a choice between Wisconsin vs. Minnesota for any given recruit, there is a sharp contrast in coaching personalities. One coach actually has a personality, the other... well, it's like choosing between a jalapeño pepper and a potato.

“ I think he’s all talk. I think he’s a very negative recruiter and I think he’s all talk and not a lot of substance.”

All talk and little substance except for kicking the badgers arse and taking the ax you know.

Also, if you are still questioning whether PJ’s energy is authentic or not after all these years you either aren’t paying that much attention or are a little slow. He’s kept it up every single year.

It is well known that Chryst, Ferentz, and Fitzgerald are close and have a lot of mutual respect for each other. I think it is fair to say none of them like Fleck. Fitzgerald had some comments about this earlier this year in a press conference before their game with Iowa or Wisconsin. It will be interesting if Bielema is brought into that close group. He has long connections with all three coaches and Bielema has always been well liked by other coaches.

That applies to most opposing fan bases although there is exceptional enmity between the fan bases of WI and MN. Opposing fans are always going to look for a reason to dislike an opposing program coach.
And Fleck is an easy target because he is comfortable in front of microphone and doesn't try to avoid media contact the way a lot of other coaches do.

There will be more coaches like Fleck coming through the ranks but right now he is still different than the status quo football coach and that scares a lot of fans.

Those that doubt he is for real are the ones that just catch bits and pieces and assume it is all for show. You look at all the stuff the program does away from the field and cameras and it is very clear that Fleck practices what he preaches and it is not an act just for the cameras.

There will be plenty of people who will never embrace Fleck's style but by pretty much all accounts what you see from Fleck in public is what he is like behind the scenes as well.

Breaking news:

lifetime badgers fans think PJ Fleck is annoying. Claim they don’t recruit wisconsin despite two commitments out of the state in the last month (one walk-on)

Breaking news:
Badger publication sold to badger fans cherry pick anecdotal stories from coaches and publish the ones that will make badger readers happy

Top Bottom