Bridgeport Tusler article in Star Tribune

paulser21

Reaction score
A keen perspective is important as Tusler ponders his college options. Measuring 5-11, 200 pounds and clocked at a less-than-stellar 4.7 seconds in the 40-yard dash, Tusler could find his dream of playing for Jerry Kill and the University of Minnesota out of reach.

"I would love to play for the Gophers, hands down," Tusler said. "But I wouldn't want to commit there just because it's the Gophers and then not play. It's not that I need to play; if I can earn a spot, I'll earn a spot. I don't care about points or highlights, I just want to play and contribute. I want to be like [former Timberwolves role player] Mark Madsen, but I want to maybe play a little bit more."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/179033581.html

Bridge is a great player. Watched him once this year and he can really do it all. Glad he seems to have a realistic aspect of where he'll end up. I think he could play anywhere in the NSIC, but I don't think he has the frame or speed to compensate for a like of size to play at the D1 or D1AA level. Exciting player to watch! Can't wait to see where he ends up.

So the kid says what he says. If he comes to Minnesota I want him to do what he says, and if he does what he says, he will play.

He's got one of the best football names I've ever heard. That alone is worth a tenth off his 40 time.

Pretty sure he has an offer from NDSU according to Rivals.

EDIT: My bad, It's the Sioux.

Some kids can run the time in trials and some can't. Some kids just have more game speed. Tusler may have run a 4.7 (acutally a 4.8 I believe) but he didn't get run down from behind in two years of high school football. Hard to believe every kid he played against the last two years ran slower than a 4.7. A gopher he reminds me of is Marcus Sherels. Great feet and great vision. Probably the most exciting punt and kickoff returner the state has had in a long time. The gophers could do much worse than offer a kid like Tusler.

4.7 is pretty fast for a HS running back. There are a lot of high quality NFL RB's who run in that range.

It seems from the quotes that he doesn't think he's good enough to be a Big Ten starter. It is hard to tell if the quotes imply he would work his butt off to get playing time or if he would rather take the easy way out and go to a small school and be guaranteed playing time.

There isn't a doubt in my mind he could contribute somewhere on the Gophers, but does he want to put in the work to do it?

It seems from the quotes that he doesn't think he's good enough to be a Big Ten starter. It is hard to tell if the quotes imply he would work his butt off to get playing time or if he would rather take the easy way out and go to a small school and be guaranteed playing time.

There isn't a doubt in my mind he could contribute somewhere on the Gophers, but does he want to put in the work to do it?

His work ethic seems to be a great virtue, but I join you in wondering about his desire. I am, in any case, a fan of Mr. Tusler. I hope he is offered and accepts.

He's a player and a great character kid. Very polite and respectful young man. He may not be track fast but he is football fast. One of the funnier kids to watch and root for. Wherever he ends up I would bet he leaves a mark.

He's a player and a great character kid. Very polite and respectful young man. He may not be track fast but he is football fast. One of the funnier kids to watch and root for. Wherever he ends up I would bet he leaves a mark.

Not all marks are good marks (e.g. skid).

They say that former Viking great running back Dave Osborn never lost a race in spite of being "slow". I know he was not slow as I played against him years ago and watched him win the sprints during track season. That was North Dakota speed.

He'll be a good D1AA guy somewhere but to be a true D1 player, you need to be the total package...or at least have the size, speed, or strength to make up for what you lack.

Top Bottom