Brian Niclolson Commits

GopherSOB

Reaction score
Scout is showing he committed to the U today. Welcome aboard Brian.

Oops, it's Nicholson, my bad.

ZachJohnsonGI GopherIllustratedcom
Miami Central 2012 DT Jordan Hinojosa tells GI.com that he will visit #Minnesota the weekend of July 22nd and then commit to the #Gophers.

looks like they will get Hinojosa as well

Both look like solid prospects...but man this class is filling up fast. There has to be departures coming because some big time guys we are going after will not decide for a while, for sure.

Both look like solid prospects...but man this class is filling up fast. There has to be departures coming because some big time guys we are going after will not decide for a while, for sure.

I wonder if Kill isn't using a Texas like approach, meaning first come, first served approach. Granted we are currently nowhere near Texas recruiting, but It could partially explain the number of commits this early.

600-awww-yeah-guy.jpg

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Brian-Nicholson-117903

I wonder if Kill isn't using a Texas like approach, meaning first come, first served approach. Granted we are currently nowhere near Texas recruiting, but It could partially explain the number of commits this early.

Coach Kill has said that he believes in first come, first serve. If they only need one player at a position they will offer several and first come, first serve. They only offer guys they think can play. There isn't any "let's offer player SS so we can get his friend player SH" I suppose for someone they thought was a program changer they would hold an open slot but in general that is not how they work. Kill also understands some players will commit just to hold an open slot in case they don't get any other offers so I would expect them to oversign a little bit

It sounds like this kid is pretty highly regarded from some articles I've read, but grade issues have kind of kept teams at arms length.

Coach Kill has said that he believes in first come, first serve. If they only need one player at a position they will offer several and first come, first serve. They only offer guys they think can play. There isn't any "let's offer player SS so we can get his friend player SH" I suppose for someone they thought was a program changer they would hold an open slot but in general that is not how they work. Kill also understands some players will commit just to hold an open slot in case they don't get any other offers so I would expect them to oversign a little bit

I'm not saying it did happen and it almost certainly didn't happen with Nicholson, but there was probably a little bit of that here. We have 4 guys (if the DT comes) from one school and a couple of them weren't the highest rated players. When that method works, you point at the Skyline 4 and say that they say a diamond in the rough with DaJon McKnight and when it backfires, the method draws a lot of criticism.

I guess my point is this, had McKnight not turned out to be a stud, people would have blasted the idea of going after him.

Now, again, I have no idea if any of that is happening in this scenario but it kind of has that feeling (4 kids form the same HS) and when it works, we love it. When it flops (Johnson and I assume people are hinting at Pride who he is a RS FR), it is viewed a cheap way to recruit.

That said...welcome aboard Nicholson! I have a feeling the recruiting for this kid is going to really heat up in the next few months and he might end up being one of those recruits we are worried might defect (not saying he will or he has a wavering personality, I have no idea). I am only saying that because I wouldn't be shocked if a couple more "big boys" start sniffing around this kid.

I love when people post premium articles.

If you're not a Scout subscriber, such as myself, when you click on the link it says that he is visiting and to "Sign in or Subscribe if you are not a Member." So, by posting the article, only those that can sign in on the site can read the article, I do believe. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

welcome aboard brian.

this is not meant to start a fight but would other big ten teams at our level like a purdue or northwestern get excited over the "miami 4" as we're now branding them? these guys don't have any other offers. people will say he is 3 stars on rivals but those are the same guys who say stars don't matter but offers matter. is kill this good of a diamond in the rough finder that the florida schools like fla. international, fla atlantic, etc. haven't even heard about him so they don't know to offer?

welcome aboard brian.

this is not meant to start a fight but would other big ten teams at our level like a purdue or northwestern get excited over the "miami 4" as we're now branding them? these guys don't have any other offers. people will say he is 3 stars on rivals but those are the same guys who say stars don't matter but offers matter. is kill this good of a diamond in the rough finder that the florida schools like fla. international, fla atlantic, etc. haven't even heard about him so they don't know to offer?

How do you know FIU and FAU haven't heard of him? He went to camps at Miami and FSU. All you gotta do is use google to find out teams know about him. These are the players we are going to be rooting for for the next 4 or 5 years, so why can't we get excited?

How do you know FIU and FAU haven't heard of him? He went to camps at Miami and FSU. All you gotta do is use google to find out teams know about him. These are the players we are going to be rooting for for the next 4 or 5 years, so why can't we get excited?

well if they had heard of him but didn't offer as the pay sites say, then its even more alarming. no?

well if they had heard of him but didn't offer as the pay sites say, then its even more alarming. no?

Maybe if these kids were committing in February, but it's July. Someone has to be the first offer. Kill was the first to offer Hinojosa too, but he stayed open and now has offers from Michigan State, Wake Forest, West Virginia, FIU, and says Kentucky is about to offer and Arkansas has invited him to camp. But if he would have committed right when Kill offered you would be alarmed.

Nicholson is one of the top recruits in the Miami area. He has some academic stuff to straighten out or else there would be a lot more schools extending the offers. He is taking extra classes to get things straight. One of those things where you take a chance on a kid you likely wouldn't be able to get had the academics been in order and put your trust in him to get it done. If he gets it done you have one he!! of the steal and the loyalty you showed will likely keep him committed.

Regarding Hinds, he has been performing extremely well at all the SoFla prospect camps. He is a new name and there will be other schools offering, they are just waiting to see more of him. MN got in right away because they liked his athletic ability. One of those deals where you get in right away on a sleeper and form trust and loyalty before some other schools come offering. Should be a nice target at 6'5". Just like McKnight he played basketball all his life until he decided to go out for football last year, tape looks good and he looks like a heck of an athlete. He has offers, the sites don't always have a complete listing.

Go4, since you are alarmed, here is something that should minimize your fears.

Here is a Dade County Top 20 list I found with a Google search. Nicholson is at #11, ahead of two guys (H Waters and D Manning) who are just plain sick. Waters is one of the best WRs in the country, going to Miami next year, and Manning is considered one of the best cover corners this year, basically has an offer by every helmet school in the country.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/hssports/2011/02/first-look-dade-2012-top-20.html

According to Scout all four are from different schools in Miami

Hinojosa from Central
Nicolson from Coral Park
Hinds from Monsignor Pace
Ballesteros from Edison

Not sure if people knew that.

Go4, since you are alarmed, here is something that should minimize your fears.

Here is a Dade County Top 20 list I found with a Google search. Nicholson is at #11, ahead of two guys (H Waters and D Manning) who are just plain sick. Waters is one of the best WRs in the country, going to Miami next year, and Manning is considered one of the best cover corners this year, basically has an offer by every helmet school in the country.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/hssports/2011/02/first-look-dade-2012-top-20.html

good link. thanks. i am a "who offered" guy so i tend to be a bit skeptical when some of these guys show up with no offers or low major offers, but you guys are probably right and certainly are worth our support if nothing else.

According to Scout all four are from different schools in Miami

Hinojosa from Central
Nicolson from Coral Park
Hinds from Monsignor Pace
Ballesteros from Edison

Not sure if people knew that.

All transferred in to Central last winter. Went through Spring ball together at Central.

good link. thanks. i am a "who offered" guy so i tend to be a bit skeptical when some of these guys show up with no offers or low major offers, but you guys are probably right and certainly are worth our support if nothing else.
He would have other offers but it has been said that his academics are a bit shaky. I believe he is taking some extra classes this summer to get his grades where they need to be.

He would have other offers but it has been said that his academics are a bit shaky. I believe he is taking some extra classes this summer to get his grades where they need to be.

Young man, get those academics in order!

I am impressed that we just got commits from a DT and LB on essentially the same day. Important positions, and there's some exciting stuff going on.

I'd like to get a few more of the MN recruits, and this could wind up being a pretty decent class.

Of the latest commits,
Hinds (Hines?) can really go up and catch the ball. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EewVgwQ4-a8&feature=related

Nicholson hits hard and seems to wrap up well on tackles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HevYXe_gvBY
but this video doesn't show him coming off of any blocks...

Twitty is a big man and seems to have a mean streak: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyQmpG9UUPk
plus good hands for a lineman.

Of course we've all heard about Hayes. Man can really move for a big dude, and fully engages his man on the block. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdteQ1L5b9o

Rallis (recently re-offered and re-committed) is fast and hits hard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLKeHmKMkG4&feature=related

Young man, get those academics in order!

I am impressed that we just got commits from a DT and LB on essentially the same day. Important positions, and there's some exciting stuff going on.

I'd like to get a few more of the MN recruits, and this could wind up being a pretty decent class.

if we can get a few more of the mn kids this class will be "great". It has 2 potential stud qb's and is solid on both sides of the line, which is where football games are won.

Top Bottom