Brian Dutcher's new contract has a $6.9MM buyout, but only $1MM if he goes to Minnesota; Dutcher on MN: "It's my school"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the San Diego Union Tribune:

The buyout mirrors the guarantee, starting at $6.925 million and dropping each season by the amount of his salary that year — likely making it the highest among mid-major programs.

“There is an investment on our part,” Wicker said. “To lose a head coach is something we don’t want to do.”

There is one exception, however: The buyout is only $1 million for University of Minnesota.

Dutcher went there. So did his three sisters and his wife. It’s where his father, Jim, coached for 11 seasons between 1975 and 1986 and still lives.

“It’s my school,” Dutcher said, “where I went and was able to be part of that basketball program with my dad. But it’s still a buyout. It’s not like it’s free.”

Richard Pitino, the son of Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino, has been at Minnesota for the past seven years with mixed results, posting with a winning record in Big Ten games only once, making the NCAA Tournament twice and finishing 15-16 overall last season.

“It’s Minnesota,” Wicker said. “It means so much to him and his family. I feel comfortable if that’s something he really wanted to do, then OK. But I fully feel he has a better opportunity of being successful at San Diego State than he does at Minnesota. It would mean that he would want to go back for family-type reasons.”

Go Gophers!!

Can we keep all the players and switch coaches? Ha

This should majorly raise expectations for Pitino. I'd say if he's not getting to the sweet 16 and beyond let him go. Dutcher clearly wants to be at MN, and is a big-time coach.

I mean, the guy is about to turn 61. Do you hand over the keys to your program to someone who may be able to give you just 5-6 good seasons? Unfortunately this program doesn’t need a bridge, it needs a long-term builder, and 61-year-olds are not ideal long-term builders.

I mean, the guy is about to turn 61. Do you hand over the keys to your program to someone who may be able to give you just 5-6 good seasons? Unfortunately this program doesn’t need a bridge, it needs a long-term builder, and 61-year-olds are not ideal long-term builders.
Too good of a coach to pass up on. He must think he's got some years left if he's leaving the door that open to come to MN. I think it's fair to think you get 6-10 years out of him if you hire him next year. I'm in on that.
Tough situation though as Pitino has really put together a nice roster this year. Problem is even if this year is a good one, is success gonna be sustained over time with Pitino? That hasn't been the case.

another tubby smith..pass on him
Well, let's see...Tubby wasn't welcome much in Kentucky and was getting pushed out and Dutcher just signed a brand new lucrative contract because they want to keep him.

Tubby had several glory years including 5 SEC titles, 14 straight NCAA appearances, 5 Sweet 16's, 3 Elite 8's and a National Championship. Dutcher has one conference title and one NCAA appearance.

Tubby has been a head coach for 29 years and Dutcher for 3 years.

The starting line is not the same, completely different paths. It appeared and appears one was descending and one is ascending despite age.

So, you might as well compare Dutcher to Gregg Popavich. Pop was 76 and 129 in 8 years as Head Coach at Pomona-Pitzer. He then spent 13,14 years as assistant and named himself the Head Coach of the Spurs. It turned out pretty well.

Dutcher wants to be here. Richard wants to be here. Let's see how the season goes. No idea if Dutcher would be the best choice.

If we're going to reach down for a MWC coach, I'd rather get a younger guy. But obviously that's only if the season goes as poorly as last year.

"But I fully feel he has a better opportunity of being successful at San Diego State than he does at Minnesota."

There's a ringing endorsement of the Gophers' program.

While i agree I dont think he would be here super long term, if he came in for say 8 years and made us very relevant then getting the next coach after him would be a far easier task. And honestly if we are complaining that he only gave us 6-8 years and we are good we would all take that.

"But I fully feel he has a better opportunity of being successful at San Diego State than he does at Minnesota."

There's a ringing endorsement of the Gophers' program.
Really? It is an entirely different level of competition. He is not facing a B1G coach or roster in every conference game.

If we're going to reach down for a MWC coach, I'd rather get a younger guy. But obviously that's only if the season goes as poorly as last year.
I really don't feel like this is a reach, more of an opportunity at a Tier 1/2 head coach. San Diego State was 30-2 last year and set up to be a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. He worked under HOF coach in Steve Fisher for 25+ years. I'm taking him in a heartbeat.

The problem is Pitino will have a good year this year (you'd think) with the guys he's brought in, I just don't see him sustaining success year-after-year as has been the challenge over his 8 years. I think that's what you get in Dutcher and then some. Yes it would be nice if he were 10-20 years younger, but I'm OK with hiring a 60+ year old with a resume like Dutchers.

The counter-argument fans will have is that it's a lot harder to do it at Minnesota than San Diego St. He's also yet to have any NCAA tournament success as a head coach. That's fair. I just personally think Dutcher is that good where that'll be no problem. He could coach anywhere and have success. My confidence level is high in him.

It's only a bonus that he views MN as home with all of his family here, dad coaching here, etc.

Robbie Hummel chimes in per Shama:

“I guess he’s putting it out there that Minnesota would be a pretty good place for him to go if the job opened up,” said Robbie Hummel, Big Ten Network and ESPN college basketball authority.

Hummel, the former Purdue star and Minnesota Timberwolves reserve, acknowledged the opt out clause for Minnesota is unusual. “I’ve never heard of a coach being able to negotiate a deal like that,” Hummel told Sports Headliners yesterday. “That’s sure interesting because if that were to happen it would be encouraging for Gopher fans because he did a heck of a job last year.

“But I do believe Minnesota has a really good coach right now in Richard Pitino—given the hands he’s been dealt, whether it’s injuries, suspensions. He’s put together some good teams in the league. …I think Minnesota’s got something pretty good right now.”

Go Gophers!!

Robbie Hummel chimes in per Shama:

“I guess he’s putting it out there that Minnesota would be a pretty good place for him to go if the job opened up,” said Robbie Hummel, Big Ten Network and ESPN college basketball authority.

Hummel, the former Purdue star and Minnesota Timberwolves reserve, acknowledged the opt out clause for Minnesota is unusual. “I’ve never heard of a coach being able to negotiate a deal like that,” Hummel told Sports Headliners yesterday. “That’s sure interesting because if that were to happen it would be encouraging for Gopher fans because he did a heck of a job last year.

“But I do believe Minnesota has a really good coach right now in Richard Pitino—given the hands he’s been dealt, whether it’s injuries, suspensions. He’s put together some good teams in the league. …I think Minnesota’s got something pretty good right now.”

Go Gophers!!
Uhh ohh Robbie Hummel is about to get pummeled with emails about raising his standards and not making excuses

Uhh ohh Robbie Hummel is about to get pummeled with emails about raising his standards and not making excuses
We all know what Hummel really thinks but he's not about to bash Pitino as a BTN employee and media guy. He's not that kinda guy.

It all comes down to the eye test/how the team is playing throughout the year and to finish the year especially, but my initial thought is if we aren't a 2nd weekend team this year then I'm bringing in Dutcher. Hopefully the financials work out.

per the San Diego Union Tribune:

The buyout mirrors the guarantee, starting at $6.925 million and dropping each season by the amount of his salary that year — likely making it the highest among mid-major programs.

“There is an investment on our part,” Wicker said. “To lose a head coach is something we don’t want to do.”

There is one exception, however: The buyout is only $1 million for University of Minnesota.

Dutcher went there. So did his three sisters and his wife. It’s where his father, Jim, coached for 11 seasons between 1975 and 1986 and still lives.

“It’s my school,” Dutcher said, “where I went and was able to be part of that basketball program with my dad. But it’s still a buyout. It’s not like it’s free.”

Richard Pitino, the son of Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino, has been at Minnesota for the past seven years with mixed results, posting with a winning record in Big Ten games only once, making the NCAA Tournament twice and finishing 15-16 overall last season.

“It’s Minnesota,” Wicker said. “It means so much to him and his family. I feel comfortable if that’s something he really wanted to do, then OK. But I fully feel he has a better opportunity of being successful at San Diego State than he does at Minnesota. It would mean that he would want to go back for family-type reasons.”

Go Gophers!!
He's got the Lou Holtz clause!

Well if Dutcher is 61 that is an issue, but we missed the boat when we did not hire Musselman's son, Eric, who would have taken Minneapolis over rural Arkansas in a second.

Not true. His wife had a huge say and they were not coming here.

Built anyone close to the situation has heard this story as well, but yet people choose to ignore it. It wasn't like it was a huge secret.

I was surprised by this. I thought Dutcher was plenty happy down at SDSU, unless he thought he could put this out clause in because he thought the job will open soon and he can use it as leverage into another raise?

Well if Dutcher is 61 that is an issue, but we missed the boat when we did not hire Musselman's son, Eric, who would have taken Minneapolis over rural Arkansas in a second.
Wait a minute. He's only 60! Be carful with this as I'm also in my 6th decade and we don't like to push it.

Built anyone close to the situation has heard this story as well, but yet people choose to ignore it. It wasn't like it was a huge secret.

I was surprised by this. I thought Dutcher was plenty happy down at SDSU, unless he thought he could put this out clause in because he thought the job will open soon and he can use it as leverage into another raise?
Understood. Fans often mix in what they want to be true with what is happening. On message boards you will get fans that claim terrible seasons are pretty good, That one coach is better than another no matter the complete dominance by the other. It is the nature of being provincial and a fanatic.

Top Bottom