Brian Bennett: I'm picking Minnesota as team that has most to gain from bowl season

I don't agree that Minnesota has the most to gain this bowl season, but they definitely have the most to lose. If they lose, it would be a big step back. I agree with the poster who said Iowa has the most to win. I'm not saying Minnesota won't gain anything by winning, because they will, just not as much as this guy seems to think. Far too many people assume we are going to win, and losing would be a big upset.

Agreed. I saw that as well from multiple sources (and now ESPN's B1G blog) and I just can't accept it. I mean, it's great that the media on all levels is climbing aboard but I think that we would need a valid young big-named/well known superstar returning next year to get the preseason ranking. And we just don't have that.. yet.

It's worth considering that we have improved since the start of the season......and that Syracuse will probably be the worst team we've played since the non-conference schedule. We could create a buzz going into the off-season. Nelson and Cobb could put on a show. We'll see.

It's worth considering that we have improved since the start of the season......and that Syracuse will probably be the worst team we've played since the non-conference schedule. We could create a buzz going into the off-season. Nelson and Cobb could put on a show. We'll see.

My initial point in collecting the data was to show that Syracuse wouldn't be the worst team we've faced since the non-conference schedule. It turns out that by the Sagarin ratings, they are the worst team we have played since our non-conference schedule. That said we are ranked #59 and they are ranked #70. The expected difference in points, based on the Sagarin predictor ratings is 3.43 points. So while they are potentially the worst team we have played since the BIG season, the statistics bear out that we may not be that much better. Granted, we did improve over the season, but I suspect Syracuse fans would claim the same.

Sagarin Predictor Ratings:
Wisconsin #7
Michigan St #12
Iowa #30
Michigan #40
Nebraska #49
Penn St #57
Indiana #61
Northwestern #68
SYRACUSE #70

My initial point in collecting the data was to show that Syracuse wouldn't be the worst team we've faced since the non-conference schedule. It turns out that by the Sagarin ratings, they are the worst team we have played since our non-conference schedule. That said we are ranked #59 and they are ranked #70. The expected difference in points, based on the Sagarin predictor ratings is 3.43 points. So while they are potentially the worst team we have played since the BIG season, the statistics bear out that we may not be that much better. Granted, we did improve over the season, but I suspect Syracuse fans would claim the same.

Sagarin Predictor Ratings:
Wisconsin #7
Michigan St #12
Iowa #30
Michigan #40
Nebraska #49
Penn St #57
Indiana #61
Northwestern #68
SYRACUSE #70

Well, I take comfort in the fact that we beat everyone in the Sagarin Ratings on our schedule rated worse than #40. Teams rated #49, #57, #61 and #68. Somehow a team rated #70 doesn't worry me too much.

I just took a look at the media guide. The Gophers did play a large number of games in the from around 1895 to 1905, but after 1905, the number of games dropped off dramatically. The Gophers had 15 games in 1904, and 11 games in 1905, but in 1906, it was down to 5 games.

It stabilized at 7 games until 1924, when it went to 8 games. With the exception of 1930, when there were 10 games, it remained at 8 games until 1942 when it went to 9 games. The 10th game was added in 1965, the 11th in 1971, and the 12th game didn't become an every-year thing until 2006.

+1, or what you said. In addition, this is really what ticks me off. We can hear all day long about how Minnesota hasn't had a 9win season since 1973, or won a BigTen title since 1967 or..., yet it is frowned upon to mention that we have 7National titles and 18 BigTen titles.

Regarding the OP, winning always helps.

I don't see us having the most to gain. Like others, I struggle to see us getting a preseason top 25 rating coming off of a .500 year in a weak (at least by national perception) B1G . Maybe if our conference somehow dominates the SEC in their 3 matchups and totally flips conference perception.

Definitely think we rank among those who have the most to lose out of the B1G. MSU plays the Pac 12 champ and 3 schools plays SEC teams, which would all be seen as forgivable losses for the individual teams (though the conference has a lot at stake in those matchups). On the opposite end of the spectrum, a losing B1G season for Michigan makes me feel like the damage is done this year and will be considered a bad year for them regardless of the bowl game. OSU would really own the overrated label so many tried to pin on them this season if they lose to Clemson, so they have quite a bit to lose. But this came could really hurt the narrative on our team. I think it goes something like this: "Minnesota was able to get to 8 wins with a perfect storm of luck, beating a hapless, injury plagued Northwestern, an upset against a disappointing Nebraska team, a win on a lucky fumble against an Indiana team with no defense, and a win against a sanction riddled, young PSU. Then, they got exposed when they got back to real competition, with their offense failing to find the endzone once against Wisconsin and MSU before losing to middle of the ACC pack, barely in a bowl game Syracuse." Definitely don't want that to be our story this offseason, let's get a big win.

Read the first link in this thread. And then look what is being tweeted.

ah, thanks. i can't believe people are saying that. not a great take by bennett or anyone else. i'd say that even with a big victory the gophers shouldn't be a top 25 team next year until they prove it on the field.

ah, thanks. i can't believe people are saying that. not a great take by bennett or anyone else. i'd say that even with a big victory the gophers shouldn't be a top 25 team next year until they prove it on the field.

Well, if we win big over Syracuse and the right teams lose their bowl games, there is an outside chance we are ranked in the final USA Today poll. We're at 34th right now.

What? like how Cincy proved it on the field? They didn't beat anyone worthwhile, yet they were ranked before the loss to Louisville. Minnesota, Iowa, & Nebraska, along with PSU and Michigan are all teams that are going to be analyzed in the offseason, what we lose as compared to what we gain and of all of those teams, I believe Minnesota, the way they've played this season, and the way people viewed the coaching staff, have the best feelings and the most positive vibe surrounding them going into the bowl games, so if they win the game, especially if they do it emphatically or impressively, will be seen as a program on the rise, and very easily could end up on the preseason Top 25 rankings for next year.

I saw this back in 2000. Glen Mason came in and turned the Gophers into a contender by his 3rd season, and going into his 4th season there was all kinds of preseason hype about the Gophers. I even remember reading one college football commentator who predicted the Gophers would win the Big Ten in 2000. Many of our players were getting picked for pre-season All-America and/or All-Conf teams, etc.. Granted we finished the 1999 season ranked 17th in the AP poll, but we were probably overrated going into the bowl season and finished with a loss and finished the season with an 8-4 record and we are going into the bowl game probably underrated and with a big win could finish this season with a 9-3 record and maybe not in the Top 25, but we could come close. I think the line of thinking that its almost impossible to break into the Top 25 polls unless you are an established program with lots of success historically is not supported by the facts. Traditional powers like Nebraska and Michigan are struggling, while non-traditional teams like Michigan St and Wisconsin are doing well. Duke and Missouri aren't exactly traditional powers and nor is Baylor. There are 25 spots in the pre-season Top 25 and they usually try to fit 4 to 5 Big Ten teams into the Top 25 every year, even when its a down year for the conf. They've had only 3 in the poll before, but who is to say that Minnesota won't be considered the 3rd best team going into next year in the B1G? A lot will depend on what happens in the bowl games. I believe MSU will be ranked next year simply on the strength of their coaching staff. The press seems to really like Dantonio and his staff and no matter what MSU loses in the offseason, they will get ranked. Same could be said for tOSU. Sure people think they are overrated, but not so much that they'd drop them out of the Top 25. But who will be that 3rd team? Wisconsin? Maybe? Maybe Minnesota? Or maybe they'll have 4 teams ranked, and UMn will come in after Wisconsin? I suppose Iowa has to be thrown into the mix as well. But what are all of these teams bringing back next year?

Sports columnists pay attention to a lot more than you think when they make their preseason picks, because they all want to be the one who knew about the next big story before anyone else did. They want to be the guy who predicted Auburn was going to have a great year, or that Duke was going to surprise everyone or that Baylor was going to win the Big 12, etc.. Few people remember who was wrong, but the guy who was right gets to say "I told you so" at the end of the year and gets to look like a genius. Minnesota is the perfect team in the perfect situation for this to happen, especially if we win the bowl game, and even if we lose it.

Top Bottom