Brian Bennett: I'm picking Minnesota as team that has most to gain from bowl season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bennett:

I think the value of most bowl wins is often overrated. Sure, a national championship or a BCS victory is cherished forever. But most people forget quickly who won or lost a mid- or lower-tier postseason game, and I've seen little convincing evidence that winning one of those types of games has much of a carryover into the next season.

With that caveat, I'm picking Minnesota as the team that has the most to gain from bowl season, even though it plays in the lowest-profile game (Texas Bowl) against the weakest opponent (Syracuse) of any Big Ten school this year. The Gophers in many ways have already had a storybook season by finishing 8-4, beating Nebraska and Penn State and winning four straight league games for the first time since 1973. A win over the Orange in Houston would, incredibly, be just Minnesota's second nine-win season in the past 108 seasons.

The Gophers haven't won a bowl game since the 2004 Music City Bowl (over Alabama; have times changed quickly, or what?). A postseason victory would be something Jerry Kill and his staff could use on the recruiting trail and plaster all over their media guides, football complex and other materials. While key seniors like Ra'Shede Hageman, Brock Vereen, Aaron Hill and Ed Olson depart, the vast majority of the roster returns next year, and the bowl game is an important experience for youngsters like Maxx Williams, Donovahn Jones and Drew Wolitarsky. Minnesota could even start the 2014 season in the Top 25 with a bowl win and all the players it returns.

On the flip side, a loss to a mediocre ACC team would represent a small step back. Getting to the Texas Bowl last year was a nice achievement for the Gophers. This year, they need to win it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/91536/take-two-most-helped-by-bowl-win

Go Gophers!!

I tend to agree with Bennett here. If we can make a statement against Syracuse, it will be a huge plus. The season is still a success without a win, but getting to nine wins--especially if it is done emphatically--would be a big help.

50PoundHead said:
I tend to agree with Bennett here. If we can make a statement against Syracuse, it will be a huge plus. The season is still a success without a win, but getting to nine wins--especially if it is done emphatically--would be a big help.

I think the other B1G bowl games will have an effect too. If the B1G wins most of its bowl games, pollsters may say "the big ten is tougher than we thought and Minnesota has 9 wins."

It would be nice to get a solid, dominating finish. Unless I've forgotten an OOC game, have really dominated anyone start to finish this year?

It would be nice to get a solid, dominating finish. Unless I've forgotten an OOC game, have really dominated anyone start to finish this year?

i maybe wouldn't go all the way to dominated, but we looked pretty darn good all game against PSU and somewhat against SJSU

Iowa has most to gain

The Gophers will win, am very confident of that. However, one could argue they have the most to lose because Syracuse (on paper) is the weakest opponent the Big Ten is playing. Lose to a middlin' ACC team that snuck into the bowl season and a lotta' folks will be more wont to remember that (the final impression) than the 8 wins and competitive losses to Bucky and Sparty.

I think Iowa has the most to gain among the B1G teams. Even though LSU is without Mettenberger, it'll be noteworthy if the Hawkeyes pull off the upset. All of a sudden you'd have a 9-4 team whose only losses were to ranked opponents NIU, MSU, OSU, and Wisconsin, who combined have 45 wins. Would have a ton of steam heading into the offseason.

I tend to think we spotted Nebraska a possession and a half and then it was near domination from then on. I don't know, call me crazy but their 1 TD drive after scoring 10 was a blip and we came right back with ball control drives (even though they sputtered with dropped passes). Our D looked strong all day, the O-line manhandled them, and we made key plays when necessary. Plus, we won by 10+ points, which is apparently super impressive since the B1G bloggers and media keep saying how MSU did it to every opponent.

Also, I agree with Bennett. It sucks that the meaningless number of "only second 9 win season in 108 years" exists since a large chunk of those years we didn't even play 9 games (and a further chunk the season only had 9-10 games, which would make 9 as impressive as 11-12 win seasons today). But it would be a good milestone and set the tone for expectations moving forward.

I've heard some scuttle here and elsewhere that the Gophers might begin next season ranked if they win against Syracuse. Sorry, but I think anyone who believes that's a realistic possibility is delusional. We haven't been ranked at the start of a season since 2004, and that was coming off a 10-win season, preceded by an 8-win seasn. The initial polls every year are biased toward historical success and prestige, and very little effort is put into looking at who has a lot returning and who doesn't. I'm very happy with how our squad has overachieved this year, but it's going to take some sustained success and a lot more than one .500 conference season for the Gophers to be preseason-ranked.

I'm picking Brian Bennett as the ESPN blogger who has the most to gain by moving out of his parents basement (blogger cliche I know, but seriously this guy looks like he's 19 years old).

Ok, got my general Brian Bennett dislike out of the way. In reality, I actual agree with him on this one. The way the Gophs have played in the 2nd half of the season means that a loss to Syracuse probably would be a small step back. We have a young team that can benefit from the extra practices and experience. Especially since I fully expect this team to continue to be bowl-eligible going forward.

I've heard some scuttle here and elsewhere that the Gophers might begin next season ranked if they win against Syracuse. Sorry, but I think anyone who believes that's a realistic possibility is delusional. We haven't been ranked at the start of a season since 2004, and that was coming off a 10-win season, preceded by an 8-win seasn. The initial polls every year are biased toward historical success and prestige, and very little effort is put into looking at who has a lot returning and who doesn't. I'm very happy with how our squad has overachieved this year, but it's going to take some sustained success and a lot more than one .500 conference season for the Gophers to be preseason-ranked.

You're probably right, but I would guess we'd get some votes anyways. Nice to think it is at least somewhat of a possibility.

Also, I agree with Bennett. It sucks that the meaningless number of "only second 9 win season in 108 years" exists since a large chunk of those years we didn't even play 9 games (and a further chunk the season only had 9-10 games, which would make 9 as impressive as 11-12 win seasons today). But it would be a good milestone and set the tone for expectations moving forward.

I just took a look at the media guide. The Gophers did play a large number of games in the from around 1895 to 1905, but after 1905, the number of games dropped off dramatically. The Gophers had 15 games in 1904, and 11 games in 1905, but in 1906, it was down to 5 games.

It stabilized at 7 games until 1924, when it went to 8 games. With the exception of 1930, when there were 10 games, it remained at 8 games until 1942 when it went to 9 games. The 10th game was added in 1965, the 11th in 1971, and the 12th game didn't become an every-year thing until 2006.

Another way to go at it is that I believe it would only be the 5th time since our last conference title (45 seasons) that we lost less than 5 games in a season.

I've been accused of being delusional before, so I'll take the bait. It's not "delusional" to think we could end up rated #25 in the almost meaningless pre-season poll off 9 wins and with a lot of the core returning.

Not to say it's a sure thing, or even will happen. But, a young, 9 win BCS conference team being ranked in the pre-season, not that "crazy" at all.

I've been accused of being delusional before, so I'll take the bait. It's not "delusional" to think we could end up rated #25 in the almost meaningless pre-season poll off 9 wins and with a lot of the core returning.

Not to say it's a sure thing, or even will happen. But, a young, 9 win BCS conference team being ranked in the pre-season, not that "crazy" at all.

I agree on both of these points:

1) I've never put much stock into being ranked, particularly in the preseason poll. It's nice exposure, but it means next to nothing

2) Preseason polls are putting more and more stock into how many starters you have returning. Yes, the defense loses a few key backups and the kicker but depending on how someone wants to spin it, which depth chart you choose to look at, etc, the Gophers could show as many as 16-17 starters returning on Offense and Defense.

Bottom line, I don't really care if they're ranked in August or not but it wouldn't be a MAJOR surprise. If they're not ranked by the TCU game, a win over them would definitely put them there.

1st - Hate to sound negative, but I think the bowl game is a must-win situation for the Gophs. They will be the favorite in the odds, so a loss would be seen as an "upset" by people who don't follow the team closely - and a loss would also trigger the TC media to dismiss the entire season as a fluke. I think a win in the bowl game is essential for the team to maintain momentum for signing day and the offseason.

2nd - as far as the ratings, here's the thing: If a team is in the pre-season ratings, they tend to stay there as long as they keep winning, and can move up if teams ahead of them lose. So, if (big if) the Gophs are ranked at #25 in the pre-season poll, they have a very good chance of being ranked into the B1G season. Then, a couple of decent conference victories and the Gophs could move up higher in the ratings - which wouldn't hurt when and if they get into the whole bowl selection idocy again. I agree it may be a long shot, but I wouldn't call it "delusional." I prefer to think of it as "hopeful."

I agree on both of these points:

1) I've never put much stock into being ranked, particularly in the preseason poll. It's nice exposure, but it means next to nothing

2) Preseason polls are putting more and more stock into how many starters you have returning. Yes, the defense loses a few key backups and the kicker but depending on how someone wants to spin it, which depth chart you choose to look at, etc, the Gophers could show as many as 16-17 starters returning on Offense and Defense.

Bottom line, I don't really care if they're ranked in August or not but it wouldn't be a MAJOR surprise. If they're not ranked by the TCU game, a win over them would definitely put them there.

I am pretty sure they will be ranked next year with a solid win in the bowl game. Lots of returnees, including their top RB, one of the Big Ten's more experienced quarterbacks and a respected coaching staff make them an easy team to rank.

I think what it would take is an overall domination of Syracuse in the bowl, and the B1G performing really well over all. Even then, I'd be surprised. But if following that we win out in the OOC schedule next year yes, we're definitely ranked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's the other way. The Gophers have the most to lose. They are favored, and playing the weakest opponent that a B1G team is playing.

I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but since Bennett watched the Gophers live against Wisconsin and then against MSU, he's been pretty high on the Gophers.

I just took a look at the media guide. The Gophers did play a large number of games in the from around 1895 to 1905, but after 1905, the number of games dropped off dramatically. The Gophers had 15 games in 1904, and 11 games in 1905, but in 1906, it was down to 5 games.

It stabilized at 7 games until 1924, when it went to 8 games. With the exception of 1930, when there were 10 games, it remained at 8 games until 1942 when it went to 9 games. The 10th game was added in 1965, the 11th in 1971, and the 12th game didn't become an every-year thing until 2006.

Our last national champs only won 7 games (of 9)

1st - Hate to sound negative, but I think the bowl game is a must-win situation for the Gophs. They will be the favorite in the odds, so a loss would be seen as an "upset" by people who don't follow the team closely - and a loss would also trigger the TC media to dismiss the entire season as a fluke. I think a win in the bowl game is essential for the team to maintain momentum for signing day and the offseason.

2nd - as far as the ratings, here's the thing: If a team is in the pre-season ratings, they tend to stay there as long as they keep winning, and can move up if teams ahead of them lose. So, if (big if) the Gophs are ranked at #25 in the pre-season poll, they have a very good chance of being ranked into the B1G season. Then, a couple of decent conference victories and the Gophs could move up higher in the ratings - which wouldn't hurt when and if they get into the whole bowl selection idocy again. I agree it may be a long shot, but I wouldn't call it "delusional." I prefer to think of it as "hopeful."

Auburn wasn't in the top 25 to start this season, so who cares?

Auburn wasn't in the top 25 to start this season, so who cares?

Neither was the team currently ranked #4 and who went undefeated in the Big Ten.

That said, I'd rather be ranked than unranked at the start of a season, especially if a team has designs on a major bowl.

Agreed. I saw that as well from multiple sources (and now ESPN's B1G blog) and I just can't accept it. I mean, it's great that the media on all levels is climbing aboard but I think that we would need a valid young big-named/well known superstar returning next year to get the preseason ranking. And we just don't have that.. yet.

I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but since Bennett watched the Gophers live against Wisconsin and then against MSU, he's been pretty high on the Gophers.

Interesting. That's why. Had completely forgotten that either of the ESPN B1G bloggers made a visit to The Bank this year (BTW, their first visit since it's been opened...)

I think it's the other way. The Gophers have the most to lose. They are favored, and playing the weakest opponent that a B1G team is playing.

I would agree with you to the extent that losing would look far more negative then winning would be seen as a positive. We are the favorite and they just barely got to a bowl game under a new coach, we definitely have more riding on it from a perception standpoint then they do.

Just to be clear though, it should also be considered an upset by those of us who DO follow the team closely - because it would be. We should definitely beat Syracuse.

Top Bottom