Brian Bennett: Don't give up on Jerry Kill yet.

Seriously?
You are making it sound like Jerry reluctantly was talked into this job, in reality he couldn't have jumped into this gig any faster. He tendered his resignation less than 24 hours after NIU last regular season game (a conference title loss btw) and jumped ship for the big city lights and big conference paycheck. Another poster a few days ago nailed it when he referred to Kill and his staff as a bunch of plucky upstarts that have hit the big time. I mean gosh,he tripled his salary to come here!

He faced no similar challenges at previous stops either. When he took the NIU job, it was only open because their coach was retiring. They'd had 7 winning seasons in a row (prior to the year before Kill got there) and when he got the job Kill spoke about keeping the legacy of the guy he was replacing going. The guy he replaced was on the selection search committee, not unceremoniously fired mid-season. So no, its not at all rational to say Kill "rebuilt" NIU or faced similar challenges there to what he is facing here. This is uncharted territory for Kill, why isn't it OK to admit that? Maybe he does awesome, maybe he's over-matched (which is what its looking like to me) but there is Not a historical equity to point at to show Kill's done this before so let's be patient.
He's in his third year now, when will we start seeing evidence of coached up players? When will we see Brewster level success in the conference? When should we expect Mason era competitiveness?

Maturi hired Kill because he's got a compelling personal life story and was, generally speaking, big on good academic results for his teams. Remember who hired Kill, and why. An incompetent fool hired a guy he liked. This wasn't a hire by a major college athletics power broker. Kill is probably producing exactly what Maturi was hoping/expecting him to produce. Kill is getting paid less than Brewster was, which is really shocking when you really stop to think about it. If you want the lowest paid coach in the conference, I guess maybe you should expect the worst coaching?

For those that have bought into Kill is "the guy" to turn the program around this is all part of their belief and it makes a much better story.

Top Bottom