Brewster's son--isnt it ironic

Doc1001

Reaction score
If I recall his name is Nolan and is a DB for Texas---and is red shirting this year ---anyway---isnt it ironic that he plays the position that is probably the weakest for the gophers this year and could cause his dad to lose his job. We could sure use him.

If I recall his name is Nolan and is a DB for Texas---and is red shirting this year ---anyway---isnt it ironic that he plays the position that is probably the weakest for the gophers this year and could cause his dad to lose his job. We could sure use him.

Ah yes, the Nolan Brewster angle.
To be honest, Brewster's character strength in allowing his talented son to follow his dream of being a Texas Longhorn is impressive to me. He very easily could have forced him to come here, according to Brewster his son actually told him, "If you tell me to come to MN, I will." No father wortha crap would do that to their son, even if it meant securing a stud safety.

People keep saying it should be easy for a coach to recruit his own sons, but that's a really hard sell. The pressure of playing for your father is significant. If you play, it is guaranteed that people will scream that he is only playing because his coach is his father. If it was such a slam dunk to get your kid to play for you, then wouldn't we see more people who go to work for their father? If it's not such a slam dunk that someone is going to go to work in their father's business, why should it be such a slam dunk to be able to recruit your own son?

Just look at what is going on in Colorado with Dan Hawkins and his son. Can you say awkward?

How about the qb son who did get a scholarship to the U?

It is rather obvious that he would have been better served starting out at the JC level. Where was coach Brewster's ability to judge talent in that case? Wasn't it putting a lot of pressure on his son to make him a scholarship player? Wouldn't there have been more deserving players who could have been offered that scholarship? So much for the "high road" theory. One situation pretty much more than negates the other situation. What about the coache's ability to judge potential and talent. Does the word nepotism ring a bell?

Just a casual observation about fathers coaching sons...There are always two sides of the issue.

Clint Brewster getting a scholarship was clearly not an issue of nepotism. If it was nepotism, then Clint wouldn't have had other scholarship offers. He was an Illinois commit and decommitted to come here. Other colleges clearly thought that he had D-I potential.

On every team there are quarterbacks on scholarship who spent their four years riding the pine.

It is rather obvious that he would have been better served starting out at the JC level. Where was coach Brewster's ability to judge talent in that case? Wasn't it putting a lot of pressure on his son to make him a scholarship player? Wouldn't there have been more deserving players who could have been offered that scholarship? So much for the "high road" theory. One situation pretty much more than negates the other situation. What about the coache's ability to judge potential and talent. Does the word nepotism ring a bell?

Just a casual observation about fathers coaching sons...There are always two sides of the issue.

I disagree that this negates the high road theory. His QB son was recruited by other DI programs. I recall it was a big deal when we landed him. Most QBs, even after a redshirt year, ride the pine learning a system before they ever see the field. Most anytime a son plays for dad nepotism is an easy criticism to make. But in this case, I do not think it is accurate.

To be honest, Brewster's character strength in allowing his talented son to follow his dream of being a Texas Longhorn is impressive to me. He very easily could have forced him to come here, according to Brewster his son actually told him, "If you tell me to come to MN, I will." No father wortha crap would do that to their son, even if it meant securing a stud safety.

agree. he has shown nothing but good character since he arrived here I will give him that.

Clint Brewster getting a scholarship was clearly not an issue of nepotism. If it was nepotism, then Clint wouldn't have had other scholarship offers. He was an Illinois commit and decommitted to come here. Other colleges clearly thought that he had D-I potential.

On every team there are quarterbacks on scholarship who spent their four years riding the pine.

Is there any chance that Clint could be an offensive savior for the team? [/just kidding]:D

I don't think Ronnie Lott playing safety could have prevent this team from it's fate.

It's like rain on your wedding day, like a free ride when you've already paid, like the good advice you just didn't take. who'd a thought it figured....

If it really was Nolan's dream to play for the 'Horns, then Brewster would have been a d*uche of a father to pressure him to come to Minnesota. A brilliant coach, but a d*uche of a father.

I will hold nothing against Brewster for where his sons do or do not go.

I'll go at Brew for many things... but never for not getting Nolan. I don't get how people don't understand this one.

has nolan played at Texas? is he any good? what are we really missing out on?

He was a four star, of course he's good!

I understand that his son at texas is a red shirt this year because of a shoulder injury. He can't play anyway so they are red shirting him.

Why do I know? His Dad told me.

He was a four star, of course he's good!

He is a pretty good ball player. He saw a decent amount of PT as a true FR and SO on some very good defensive teams at Texas. I don't think he ever started but he played significant minutes, which is impressive in itself. I don't think he has the makings for an All American, but he could end up a All Big 12 type S in his last season.

4-star players do tend, on average to be better than 1-star players. He may not be playing all that much, but there are a lot of talented players at Texas who ride the pine while even more talented players are on the field. For some, going to their dream school outweighs playing time.

This. Also, I love my pops but sure would not want to work with him. Besides, young people want to get away from home for a while to experience life a little without having their parents watching every move.

Top Bottom