Brewster's recruits just aren't that good

Reaction score
I think this is what is lost in the Brewster discussion. I'm not impressed with all the supposed 4 star types he has brought in. Most of them are WRs :rolleyes: and are 5'11" 170. You really can't build a team around that. I'm just not impressed with Green, Pittman is a nothing player (but probably a better QB than Weber), Lair lets a ball hit him in the face, Eskridge/Salamon/Whaley are extremely mediocre RBs, guys like Sharpe don't see the field or are invisible, etc.

Other than a handful of players I don't see much from his own recruits. Without Decker making plays all over the field Brewster and Weber have a lot in common...........and that isn't a good thing.

There are some talented players we haven't seen much of like Michael Carter, Hageman, Gray, a few OL like Michel/Olsen but that isn't enough to build on. You need a lot more talent than what he is getting out of many of the 3* types he has recruited.

I think this is what is lost in the Brewster discussion. I'm not impressed with all the supposed 4 star types he has brought in. Most of them are WRs :rolleyes: and are 5'11" 170. You really can't build a team around that. I'm just not impressed with Green, Pittman is a nothing player (but probably a better QB than Weber), Lair lets a ball hit him in the face, Eskridge/Salamon/Whaley are extremely mediocre RBs, guys like Sharpe don't see the field or are invisible, etc.

Other than a handful of players I don't see much from his own recruits. Without Decker making plays all over the field Brewster and Weber have a lot in common...........and that isn't a good thing.

There are some talented players we haven't seen much of like Michael Carter, Hageman, Gray, a few OL like Michel/Olsen but that isn't enough to build on. You need a lot more talent than what he is getting out of many of the 3* types he has recruited.
Isn't it a bit early to be judging recruiting classes, lets see them as juniors and seniors before we pass judgment please.

God GAWD. At most other programs these guys would be redshirt freshmen that wouldn't even see the field.

Isn't it a bit early to be judging recruiting classes, lets see them as juniors and seniors before we pass judgment please.

but, that wouldn't be as much fun for a guy who decided to go with a "fire XX coach" moniker now would it?! ;)

You're obviously a soothsayer, because it's obviously easy for a layman to predict the performance of players in their freshman and sophomore years. Wait, let's make a vague reference to two JUCO players who haven't transitioned to the D-1 level. That's the stuff! I'll be waiting in the rafters for your fire Brew thread, too.

Green will be a very manageable first option wide receiver. He's waiting to step out of Decker's shadow, and when he does, he will impress.

Manageable isn't good enough.

I don't think most of these guys have a whole lot of potential as far as Big Ten athletes go.

Plenty of players make an impact before they are a junior/senior.

Manageable isn't good enough.

I don't think most of these guys have a whole lot of potential as far as Big Ten athletes go.

Plenty of players make an impact before they are a junior/senior.

If you don't think players like Green, Cooper, Wilhite, Edwards, Carter, etc, aren't making an impact, I really don't know what to tell you. You can't expect them to carry the team out there. Seniors need to step up, and it's obvious they're not pulling their weight.

If you don't think players like Green, Cooper, Wilhite, Edwards, Carter, etc, aren't making an impact, I really don't know what to tell you. You can't expect them to carry the team out there. Seniors need to step up, and it's obvious they're not pulling their weight.

ding, ding, ding

Then sit them.

It's one of those catch-22 situations though. While there are freshmen and sophs who can step in, the majority aren't ready. So the team is in that transition period a little bit where upperclassmen aren't getting it done like needed, and the underclassmen are not at the level where they can just "take over" the team and we'll suddenly be great. This is why these coaching transitions take time, especially when, yes, we don't have the best coaching in the world, but I don't think coaching is the sole reason we just got rolled two straight weeks.

Give some lineman some time. Better play, especially on the O-line, will make many players look better.

I, for one, think Whaley will be a complete stud. He has all of the tools. I cannot wait to see him running behind even an average O-line. The offensive line is absolutely brutal.

It takes a few years before you can judge recruiting classes! I almost feel bad for some of the recruits because they are being thrown out to the wolves on this team, when, as somebody else pointed out earlier, would not even be seeing the field yet on a good college football team. Let these kids continue to work and see what happens.

Then sit them.

I'll steal a response from another poster " ding ding ding"

The old montra of playing seniors because of their experience and not ability is used today by very few exceptional programs and more by programs that truley don't get it and continue to struggle year in and year out. I hope next year they gut this entire O-line. Watching Wills is like having a migrane.

Green isn't doing much of anything.

Cooper was last seen getting run over for a TD.

Carter is barely playing, although I think he may be good. I have no idea why he isn't playing more.

Very few of his recruits are making an impact. A number of the seniors are playing well.

Carter is barely playing, although I think he may be good. I have no idea why he isn't playing more.

Very few of his recruits are making an impact. A number of the seniors are playing well.

Green has been the most reliable receiver, behind Decker this year. Also, I remember seeing one of Brewster's recruits account for almost half of our total offense. That would be our backup (backup at this point, anyways) QB.

Wow, is all i can say. I honestly hope you dont actually feel this way. If you do, I just feel sorry for you. And you show me one LB who hasn't been run over, especially a freshman.

actually, that was a senior by the name of kyle theret who tried some more arm tackling and got ran over. not cooper.

who's more worthless, HAYO or Pittman, or Wills? All JUCO BUSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who's more worthless, HAYO or Pittman, or Wills? All JUCO BUSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pittman. Hayo got here too late to transition into the offense not to mention he's a deep threat not a possession receiver hence the o-line needs to block longer to allow him to get down the field which brings me to Wills. Once he loses some more weight and gets used to the speed of Big Ten defensive ends vs. JUCO defensive ends he'll be fine. On a side note I did see at least 3 or 4 pancakes by Wills when I was watching for it.

Top Bottom