Brewster's hanging offense: not benching Weber

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
One day later, I have calmed slightly and am thinking about exactly why Brewster needs to be fired, considering we essentially dominated a 10-2 team yesterday on the road. The answer is his ridiculous, unbelievable refusal to bench Adam Weber.

Iowa was the worst team we played all year. If we had ANY offense at all, we would have won by 5 touchdowns. Instead, we stayed with QB Adam Weber, who has been disgracing this school all season long.

I was at the Illinois game when Weber was whipping the ball 10 feet over the tops of open receivers, holding on to the ball for 10-15 seconds before making horrible decisions to throw into coverage or worse, into the defenders' hands. After the first half of that game, he should have been benched, never to see the field again. Then came SDSU, and yesterday Iowa. Weber has gotten worse and worse, as if that was even possible. But Brewster keeps starting him, and playing Gray for 1 play here or there. And when Gray sees the field, everyone on earth knows it is a running play. It is the stupidest, gimmickiest, low IQ bullsh*t I have ever seen in my life.

Our team has great promise. Our defense is fantastic, our OL improved all year. But Brewster has shown he cares more about keeping his job by keeping Gray on the bench and promising "tomorrow." He knows that if Gray goes in and we still suck, he will be fired immediately. So he chooses to keep the carrot out in front of the horse so he can claim any action against him is "premature". Brewster does not care about the University of Minnesota, he cares about himself.

Brewster is an arrogant, BS artist. Like everyone else, I got caught up in his propaganda and the truth is, as Denny Green would say "the proof is in the pudding".

"Sid, I can't be more pleased with our progress this year." YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! (Common sound bite)

Why did he call timeout after the Hoese dive play? "We needed to think it over." YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! (Common sound bite)

Wait, there is hope, Brew is a great recruiter and he has stockpiled tremendous talent. But, has he EVER signed the top recruit in MN? No. Will he this year? NO. But he's a great recruiter.

Well, David Pittman, and Hayo Carpenter (remember how excited all you Brew guys were when we signed him? There were updates on when he was going to arrive on campus) and all the other flops Brew has brought in defy that logic.

FIRE HIM NOW

One day later, I have calmed slightly and am thinking about exactly why Brewster needs to be fired, considering we essentially dominated a 10-2 team yesterday on the road.....Iowa was the worst team we played all year.

I think you may have been watching a different game than the rest of us. Speechless.

To your other point, yes, Brewster's stubbornness re: Weber is a HUGE reason that people are so down on him as a coach. Naming the starting QB is one of the most visible and important decisions a head coach makes in a season. Regardless of what people think of Gray, Weber showed nearly all season that he should not have been the starter. Playing Gray could not produce any worse results than playing Weber - yet here we sit looking back on a wasted offensive season thanks to Brewster and his manlove for Weber. Heaven forbid letting Gray learn on the job this season.

Weber will be the demise of brew....unless he sees the light over the next month and treats the bowl like the first game of 2010 vs. the last game of 2009....does he not see that benching adam will actually help him??!! Carrots and sticks folks, pretty simple stuff. People respond to both positive and negative incentives. In a perfect world, everyone gets carrots and does the right thing. In the real world, sticks help certain people improve and achieve. Tried the carrots, they failed. Adam, time to meet Mr. Stick.. Mgmt 101-unbelievable stuff for a guy in this role to not understand.

It's too bad to see a guy lose his job because he's playing a guy that he didn't recruit...

It's too bad to see a guy lose his job because he's playing a guy that he didn't recruit...

He didn't recruit Decker either and God knows what he would've done without Decker these last few seasons.......

14 for 40 passing doesn't get it done. Not laying it all on the QB. Other factors include our receiver corps, our play calling, our fairly soft OL, and the opposing defense. Still, 14 for 40 has to say something about the current direction of this team.

BTW, Brewster is a salesman (ie. Lou Holtz or Billy Mays) and very little more.

Minnesota coaches just do not bench quarterbacks..hasn't even been a competition since the Cockerham/ Cole years a decade ago.....Not sure if it is Minnesota Nice or a dearth of talent at the position

Wait, there is hope, Brew is a great recruiter and he has stockpiled tremendous talent. But, has he EVER signed the top recruit in MN? No. Will he this year? NO. But he's a great recruiter.

FIRE HIM NOW

He has only had 2 recruiting classes you idiot and recruiting the best kids takes years of forming relationships with the kids and coaches. He still has Henderson on target but if he does not get Henderson I still can't blame him since he has not had all that long to recruit him.

One day later, I have calmed slightly and am thinking about exactly why Brewster needs to be fired, considering we essentially dominated a 10-2 team yesterday on the road. The answer is his ridiculous, unbelievable refusal to bench Adam Weber.

Iowa was the worst team we played all year. If we had ANY offense at all, we would have won by 5 touchdowns. Instead, we stayed with QB Adam Weber, who has been disgracing this school all season long.

I was at the Illinois game when Weber was whipping the ball 10 feet over the tops of open receivers, holding on to the ball for 10-15 seconds before making horrible decisions to throw into coverage or worse, into the defenders' hands. After the first half of that game, he should have been benched, never to see the field again. Then came SDSU, and yesterday Iowa. Weber has gotten worse and worse, as if that was even possible. But Brewster keeps starting him, and playing Gray for 1 play here or there. And when Gray sees the field, everyone on earth knows it is a running play. It is the stupidest, gimmickiest, low IQ bullsh*t I have ever seen in my life.

Our team has great promise. Our defense is fantastic, our OL improved all year. But Brewster has shown he cares more about keeping his job by keeping Gray on the bench and promising "tomorrow." He knows that if Gray goes in and we still suck, he will be fired immediately. So he chooses to keep the carrot out in front of the horse so he can claim any action against him is "premature". Brewster does not care about the University of Minnesota, he cares about himself.

Agree with all but the fire Brewster. Weber has to be benched and he would have been benched at any of the other big ten schools weeks ago

Are we too "polite" to bench a QB at MN? If this is the case, no wonder the 40+ year drought.

He has only had 2 recruiting classes you idiot and recruiting the best kids takes years of forming relationships with the kids and coaches. He still has Henderson on target but if he does not get Henderson I still can't blame him since he has not had all that long to recruit him.

Brew has been here 3 yrs.

Jesus, get a grip. Can you be any more dramatic? We didn't dominate anyone all season let alone yesterday. Things have gone south, but man, get a grip.

Minnesota coaches just do not bench quarterbacks..hasn't even been a competition since the Cockerham/ Cole years a decade ago.....Not sure if it is Minnesota Nice or a dearth of talent at the position

A slight quibble with this: Cole and Abdul-Khaliq also had a heated QB battle (with many also thinking Benji Kamrath should get a shot). Travis Cole, much like Doug Flutie, was a walking QB controversy.

Brewster has only had 2 recruiting classes. Let's jump off the cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't give two craps about whether Brewster can't recruit anymore. It doesn't matter if there's no one here that possesses the ability to coach them. And clearly neither Brewster nor his staff can do that. So who cares if he can recruit? It's a pointless exercise.

I really don't give two craps about whether Brewster can't recruit anymore. It doesn't matter if there's no one here that possesses the ability to coach them. And clearly neither Brewster nor his staff can do that. So who cares if he can recruit? It's a pointless exercise.

I agree, we should field a team of walk-ons with a high GPA.

You guys must be right. Because the coaches don't want the best player on the field. They were hoping for 6 wins and were happy with that and didn't want to overachieve. Don't you think if Gray was a better qb then he would be starting? Why would the coaches not want Gray in if he was unstoppable? I do think he have gotten a few series, but I don't buy intot he fact that Weber was the entire problem.

You guys must be right. Because the coaches don't want the best player on the field. They were hoping for 6 wins and were happy with that and didn't want to overachieve. Don't you think if Gray was a better qb then he would be starting? Why would the coaches not want Gray in if he was unstoppable? I do think he have gotten a few series, but I don't buy intot he fact that Weber was the entire problem.

Because Brewster isn't a real coach.......

Isn't it funny that Davis can coach the USC off. line to national championships, and coach an NFL O-line, but he can't coach???? Give the guy some time, their pass blocking has dramatically improved, only problem is Weber needs 6-7 sec. to throw. The line also has to get rid of the puss-guts and be able to move. Very few of them could'nt lose 20-30 lbs. They would be better! If Davis stays we will be have great lines and linemen going to the NFL.

He was an assistant O-line coach with the Dolphins ... never was the main guy.

He was an assistant O-line coach with the Dolphins ... never was the main guy.

point?

So the guy coaches for USC and coaches in the NFL and people don't think he can coach? Give all these coaches more time to develop their talented athletes and give their talented athletes time in the strength and conditioning program. All these coaches have very impressive resumes with some having experience in the NFL, and you don't coach in the NFL if you are not a good coach. These guys can coach they just need to adjust to the college game together and have time to jell with each other and the athletes

No point ... I like Davis ... was simply making the minor correction.

Isn't it funny that Davis can coach the USC off. line to national championships, and coach an NFL O-line, but he can't coach???? Give the guy some time, their pass blocking has dramatically improved, only problem is Weber needs 6-7 sec. to throw. The line also has to get rid of the puss-guts and be able to move. Very few of them could'nt lose 20-30 lbs. They would be better! If Davis stays we will be have great lines and linemen going to the NFL.

+1

The point has sailed right over your head. No one claims Marqueis Gray is the savior, they are saying give him a chance. We don't know how it will turn out. We do know how it will turn out if Weber continues on as the starter. Hiis is literally the worst quarterback play I have ever seen in my life. I don't know what happened to him, if he is hiding an injury, is having some challenges in the head department, whatever. All I know is that he can no longer play the game and he must sit.

brewster hanging

It appears that the number of postings is inversely proportional to the actual knowledge of football. Coaches only care about winning and have no loyalty to a player.

Good for Gray

You guys are missing the point for gray to sit this year AND next year could be the best thing for his carreer. seeing as not one player has gotten better under brewster. maybe not playing gray will help him to not digress....

You guys are missing the point for gray to sit this year AND next year could be the best thing for his carreer. seeing as not one player has gotten better under brewster. maybe not playing gray will help him to not digress....

That Gray is always getting off topic.

Top Bottom