Brewster's Biggest Weakness?

Duluthguy

Reaction score
First, let me clear. I do not think Brewster should be fired or given a contract extension. I really want him to succeed, but I think that there are many warning signs that he may not.

To me, Brewster's biggest weakness is his false optimism. A true optimist sees a negative reality and believes that through positive action he can create a positive outcome. Unfortunately, Brewster refuses to see any negatives. A twenty point loss gives him twenty reasons to be "tremendously proud," and a narrow victory over a weak team is proof that everything is just great.

Imagine what these low expectations do to the team. If little Billy's parents gush all over him for bringing home a report card full of C's, they shouldn't be shocked if he never applies himself to get any A's. The kid has been taught not to expect too much of himself.

Think of any great coach (such as Bo, Woody, Hayden or Joe), and you'll likely find a no-nonsense coach who hated losing. Think of a coach that sees silver linings in every loss, and I'll show you another Jim Wacker.

Every coach since Holtz has not really been that bothered by losing, and it shows. If Brewster is ever replaced, I just want to hear the new guy say one thing: "I can't guarantee that we will win every game. But, I can guarantee you that no one will hate losing more than I do."

Like I said, I'd love for Brewster to succeed. But, when his team is crushed in two losses in a row and he says that he is pleased with where the team is, I just want to slap the guy silly.

Let me ask you a question:

Do you talk the same way to your boss that you do to your wife?

In other words, do you tell your boss all the same secrets/gossip/hopes/fears/dreams/etc. that you tell your wife?

I think his biggest weakness is spending too much time with Justin Feagin.

- Coaches, who didn't blame their players after a loss: Pete Carroll, Vince Dooley, Mike Bellotti, Urban Meyer...I'll stop there.

- Biggest problem? Lack of wins. Second biggest problem? Fair weather fans. Putting 50,000 plus Gopher fans in a stadium is not exactly a "normal" procedure.

- But what they hell do you care? :blah::blah::banghead::rolleyes:

If his biggest weakness is telling the public that he's proud of the effort his players put into a game, whether its a win or loss, than he's on the right track.

bench press

Probably doing OK with squats and torso. I say he let the bench press slack.

To me, Brewster's biggest weakness is his false optimism. A true optimist sees a negative reality and believes that through positive action he can create a positive outcome. Unfortunately, Brewster refuses to see any negatives. A twenty point loss gives him twenty reasons to be "tremendously proud," and a narrow victory over a weak team is proof that everything is just great.
There are a lot of things I think are fair to criticize Brewster about, this however is not one of them. It's his job to sell the program at all times and what he says publicly does not necessarily reflect how he feels privately.

I mean really, if we're down to criticizing his PR methods we're getting absurd.

He should be given an extension to allow for him to recruit...even if you have visions of canning him soon. You sabotage his recruiting and the program overall when he doesn't have that security...even for the next coach coming in. You can't have down years in recruiting...ever.

GM

Brews biggest weakness is not starting Marquise.

I never said he should blame his players.

- He said they did a bad job on third down plays after both Penn State and tOSU.
- That they had to many drops.
- That Weber missed open receivers.
- That they aren't good enough to overcome turnovers against teams like PSU or tOSU.
- If you're looking for the Ruesse, Barrerio, or honestly Wacker approach of "(Geezzo Bezzo) boy we SUCK" approach you're going to be disappointed.

I'd say lack of discipline on the field. Dumb penalities - offsides, false starts, unsportsman like conducts, blown assignments (resulted in 2 tds last week). I chalk a lot of these penalties up to coaching and the inability to instill discipline.

Might wear his emotions too much on his sleeve. After losing some close games last year there was a major hangover the following week (see mi and ia following NU and wisky). I heard him repeatedly yelling at the ref's, "you're f'ing us!" after a call against the goph's duing a game last year. I don't think it helps the players to see him come unglued like that. I'd like to see a little more composure from him when things aren't going their way.

coordinator changes. Actually mostly the offensive scheme change, not that I wanted to stay with the spread, but that he wasn't comitted to the pro-style from the get go. And even that had more to do with having no HC ex and probably grabbing the best OC available. So really, probably Maturi's fault for allowing it to happen. Brewsters to correct.

(1) Still learning how to admininster a program while on-the-job. Needs to develop his identity and surround himself with assistants who share that identity.

(2) Wouldn't call it false optimism, but he sounds a bit disingenuous at times. Maybe it's me, seeing that I'm a hardened old cynic.

Troy, I think when he's getting all over the refs, his players are probably telling themselves "this guy is going to bat for us." Granted, you wouldn't want him going all Woody Hayes on the yard-markers, but I think a little righteous indignation with a dash of the purple language probably serves him well at times.

I don't think anything Brewster says after a game has any bearing on how the team plays. That being said, I think most fans would give the guy a little slack if he just admitted that he was disappointed or even disgusted after a bad loss like last week.

I have to agree with others...the lack of continuity in his Coordinators is going to squash any momentum they might be gaining.

The lack of head coaching experience is his biggest problem, but he's outgrowing that year to year, as you'd expect.
Going with the "spread coast" offense for two years was a big mistake - the kind a rookie coach might make.
He needs five years to show what his recruiting can do and what he's learned to do as a coach. All the co-ordinator musical chairs hasn't helped.

He is blinded by Adam Weber. He constantly praises him, even when he has an especially bad game. His team is regressing and he should make some changes. Why is it ok to yank Stommes but not Weber? Where is the discipline? Where are the upsets? When do we see progress during the year? His teams have ALL gotten worse as the season progresses (maybe the first year they got better, my bad). Anyway, I was a big supporter of Brewster but I've changed my mind after this year. I really expected the b.s. to come true this year. What a disappointment this has been.

He is blinded by Adam Weber. He constantly praises him, even when he has an especially bad game. His team is regressing and he should make some changes. Why is it ok to yank Stommes but not Weber? Where is the discipline? Where are the upsets? When do we see progress during the year? His teams have ALL gotten worse as the season progresses (maybe the first year they got better, my bad). Anyway, I was a big supporter of Brewster but I've changed my mind after this year. I really expected the b.s. to come true this year. What a disappointment this has been.

What would you have him do? Throw his struggling Qb under the bus? Criticize him in the media? Bench him and never look back? The kid is a captain who by all accounts is a great leader for this team. I'd be more concerned if he came out in the postgame conference and went off on Weber, that would show real immaturity and a lack of class. Behind the scenes Weber is probably taking this season harder than anyone. Weber, Fisch, and Brewster all know things need to be done, changes need to be made, you think they actually believe they're happy with 4-4? Brewster has no hidden loyalties to Weber, if anything he has more invested in Gray and winning right now. If they decide to go with Weber, then they need to support him as much as they can publicly, and work on improving his play privately.

What would you have him do? Throw his struggling Qb under the bus? Criticize him in the media? Bench him and never look back? The kid is a captain who by all accounts is a great leader for this team. I'd be more concerned if he came out in the postgame conference and went off on Weber, that would show real immaturity and a lack of class. Behind the scenes Weber is probably taking this season harder than anyone. Weber, Fisch, and Brewster all know things need to be done, changes need to be made, you think they actually believe they're happy with 4-4? Brewster has no hidden loyalties to Weber, if anything he has more invested in Gray and winning right now. If they decide to go with Weber, then they need to support him as much as they can publicly, and work on improving his play privately.

How about being honest & find the nicest way to say that Weber had a tough game? Why does 3 Interceptions, a lost fumble, 4 sacks and less then 150 yards passing equate to Brewster saying "Adam did some nice things today."???????

To much rapid change, coordinators, position coaches

Seems a little impulsive in changing philosophies in system changes, coordinators and position coaches. Short term failures should not lead to quick changes in philosophy or coaches unless coaches leaving necessitates the change. Would like to see some continuity in coaching and game planning. Media takes his coach speak and phrases a little to literal some times.

How about being honest & find the nicest way to say that Weber had a tough game? Why does 3 Interceptions, a lost fumble, 4 sacks and less then 150 yards passing equate to Brewster saying "Adam did some nice things today."???????

the word some would be projecting that he did some nice things and some not so nice things.
Exactly what you ask for but with a positive spin, Weber did have some nice plays, and some really bad ones.
The quick slant passes to Allen and Green were well executed, he waited for them to come free and led them properly, the play where he scanned across read 1,2,3 and caught his 4th read on a drag, got hammered throwing it. The 5 drops didn't help, alot of receivers looking upfield too quickly.
He also had a bad INT trying to go for Tow Arnett late in the game, and numerous other bad plays.

No one is saying he needs to throw Weber under the bus.

But even someone who watched 10 minutes of Gopher football (let alone every second of every game like us diehards) can see that something is seriously wrong with Adam Weber. He hasn't forgotten how to play football. And I also don't buy that his mobility is compromised by his knee injury. Something is just wrong upstairs. I don't know what it is, but Brewster is doing himself, his team, and his fanbase a great disservice by continuing to have Weber take the field for the majority of the snaps.

I want to see Adam Weber succeed, because he stayed with the home school, worked hard, and seems like the kind of kid you'd want your daughter to marry. But I just don't see it happening again this year or next. He's damaged goods. I am loyal to Weber, but my loyalties lie first with the University of Minnesota. We need to have our best 11 players on the field on both offense and defense, and right now, Adam Weber is just not one of those players.

No one is saying he needs to throw Weber under the bus.

But even someone who watched 10 minutes of Gopher football (let alone every second of every game like us diehards) can see that something is seriously wrong with Adam Weber. He hasn't forgotten how to play football. And I also don't buy that his mobility is compromised by his knee injury. Something is just wrong upstairs. I don't know what it is, but Brewster is doing himself, his team, and his fanbase a great disservice by continuing to have Weber take the field for the majority of the snaps.

I want to see Adam Weber succeed, because he stayed with the home school, worked hard, and seems like the kind of kid you'd want your daughter to marry. But I just don't see it happening again this year or next. He's damaged goods. I am loyal to Weber, but my loyalties lie first with the University of Minnesota. We need to have our best 11 players on the field on both offense and defense, and right now, Adam Weber is just not one of those players.

^^^THIS

I think it's obvious Weber is having trouble digesting 3 separate offenses in 4 years, being coached to throw the same route differently, read the same D differently, now he's calling Oline protections before the snap, and I have heard from inside info he's playing hurt(sleeve on throwing arm), he's also a smart, tough kid who I believe will come through in the end.

Top Bottom