Brewster's biggest regret?

EG#9

Reaction score
A. Changing offenses after his second season
B. Near misses acquiring a feature back (James, Lipscomb, etc)
C. Never starting a QB he recruited
D. Hiring Cosgrove as DC

I would guess that one (or more) of the above is what will keep Coach Brewster awake tonight (assuming he has been informed he won't be back).

choosing his offensive and defensive philosophy by sticking his finger in the wind and then insisting on implementing it immediately with talent recruited to do the opposite thereby taking 6 win talent and ensuring it would be humiliated. Then, after recruiting for for two years, sticking finger back in the wind and doing a complete 180. I guess it's the kind of mistake you'd expect someone who's never been in charge to make.

The way I feel about all of this is like an airline pilot approaching a humongous thunderstorm and tells his co-pilot..."Let's make a 360 and get the hell out of here!"

choosing his offensive and defensive philosophy by sticking his finger in the wind and then insisting on implementing it immediately with talent recruited to do the opposite thereby taking 6 win talent and ensuring it would be humiliated. Then, after recruiting for for two years, sticking finger back in the wind and doing a complete 180. I guess it's the kind of mistake you'd expect someone who's never been in charge to make.

There's no way Brewster inherited 6 win talent.

The way I feel about all of this is like an airline pilot approaching a humongous thunderstorm and tells his co-pilot..."Let's make a 360 and get the hell out of here!"

I picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue. :rolleyes:

The little things like would be my guess. The in game things, the injuries, the suspended or dismissed players from the team. What if those things go our way. Suddenly we get some momentum and we're 8-4 to finish the season and have the program going in the right direction.

A. Changing offenses after his second season
B. Near misses acquiring a feature back (James, Lipscomb, etc)
C. Never starting a QB he recruited
D. Hiring Cosgrove as DC

I would guess that one (or more) of the above is what will keep Coach Brewster awake tonight (assuming he has been informed he won't be back).

The correct answer is A.

I know that we wanted to make a giant break from the Mason regime, but I always wondered if Brewster at all regrets not re-hiring Mitch Browning instead of getting Dunbar.

Browning built a pretty good offense here and he seemed to run a system that Brew would have been pretty familiar with (zone block schemes were similar to the Broncos offense with Shannahan). I understand that it might have been strange situation for him to retain Mason's coordinator, but I think our offensive troubles surely wouldn't have been as prominent.

Not recruiting the type of talent he was hired to bring in. Period. Simple as that. End of story.

Correct Answers:

- Rose Bowl and Gopher Nation

- Everett Withers and Mike Dunbar

- Adam Weber and Clint Brewster

Why would be regret Everett Withers or Clint Brewster? Us bringing in Clint Brewster essentially cost us having Phil Haig on the roster (QB from Sibley who decomitted when Brewster signed and signed with Illinois, only to quit the team and focus on baseball). Maybe Anderson (baseball coach) regrets the football team signing Brewster, but there are far bigger problems for the football team than Clint Brewster playing a season and seeing the writing on the wall.

F. Never getting past chapter 2 of that "Coaching For Dummies" book. It had all those big words like "gameplan" & "coordinator".

Gotta be sticking with Weber thru his tenure. Should have gave Marquis a chance to show why he was the #3 dual threat QB in the nation. Close #2 gotta be the offensive changes, recruiting for the spread, than deciding he wants to pound the rock.

What might Weber have been if they hadn't told him not to run? He was mobile as a frosh and a threat to make things happen with his legs. Then they stuck a "Fragile" sticker on him and he was never the same. Four years later he runs a bootleg against Northwestern that was a super slo-motion version of his freshman year.

Has to be A. Stick to your guns, keep Dunbar around instead of hitting the panic button at the end of year 2.

Top Bottom