Brewster's best recruit

CWCWCW

Reaction score
I was thinking about all of the rotten things that have happened lately to our football program. Brewster was thought to be a good recruiter and there were more accolades from the recruitniks than in the past, that's for sure.
With all of the 4* recruits Brewster brought in, who do you think his best recruit was that actually performed on the field. I can't say Gray, because he's only done it this year. My vote would go to none other than Kyle Theret. The irony is that he was probably the guy that had the least hype in Brewster's worst class.

Simoni Lawrence, Small, Tremaine Brock if he could have hung around. Actually Brew did pretty ok with his first batch of JUCOs but nothing since then.

For non-JUCO, McKnight or Gray. Tinsley is decent. Theret has benefited from being a decent tackler on a horrible D.

I'll wait until all of his recruits play as upper classmen to venture a guess. Many of his highly ranked recruits are still very young. I don't think there were that many four star recruits, I'd guess about 5. I am sure someone will list them but off the top of my head.

1. Maresh (sp) - gone for personal issues - nope
2. Gray - Sophmore - flash of athletic ability at second position - will be judged on QB play in the future
3. Gjere - Redshirt - unknown

Those are the three that jump in my mind for sure a couple possible

1. Carter - sophmore - up and down - currently down
2. Tinsley - Junior - leads a bad defense in tackles

Looks like the Winner is Gary Tinsley.

Simoni Lawrence, Small, Tremaine Brock if he could have hung around. Actually Brew did pretty ok with his first batch of JUCOs but nothing since then.

For non-JUCO, McKnight or Gray. Tinsley is decent. Theret has benefited from being a decent tackler on a horrible D.

When you're safety on a crappy D, you tend to pile up some gaudy stats. You get to tackle all the ballcarriers that the 7 guys in front of you whiffed on. I agree that he's one of the few guys on our defense who could pass tackling 101.

If I got this right, here are the 4-star guys Brewster got, according to Rivals. Out of this list, BPT and MarQueis have IMO been the only two that have been above average players. The rest were either complete busts, average, or still need more time to prove themselves. And none of them (so far) have been stars. It's amazing how different things turn out on the field compared to how they look on paper.

Michael Carter
Brandon Green
Spencer Reeves
Keanon Cooper
Vincent Hill
Sam Maresh
David Pittman
Hayo Carpenter
Anthony Jacobs
Hasan Lipscomb
Jimmy Gjere
Lamonte Edwards

Out of all of Brewster's recruits, I'd go with McKnight too.

The thing that really gets me about McKnight is that he should have been redshirted his freshman year. The kid hardly played high school football and he was a classic case for a RS year. Decker gets hurt and Brew burns the RS.

Same situation with Tinsley. He barely saw the field as a freshman. Should have been redshirted.

All the current juniors should have been red-shirted.

According to Rivals, here are the 4-stars:

2007:

Anthony Jacobs (been serviceable, but not a difference maker)

2008:

Keenan Cooper (average at best Big Ten LB as of now)
MarQueis Gray (talented play-making WR, could be QB next yr)
Brandon Green (injured this yr, has not come close to hype)
Vincent Hill (never made it to campus)
Sam Maresh (health, behavior never let him play at MN)
David Pittman (hardly saw the field)
Traye Simmons (solid contributor)

2009:

Hayo Carpenter (can't see the field at a position of need)
Michael Carter (underachieving so far, surprised to see him back here next yr)
Hasan Lipscomb (never made it to campus)

2010:

Lamonte Edwards (redshirting)
Jimmy Gjere (redshirting)

At the end of last year I would have said Kirksey, at this point I think Small and Lawrence would be my choices.
I am hoping with a coaching change next year we can say Edwards, Kirksey, and Beal.

Troy...

Not to stir the pot but doesn't Troy Stoudermire merit an honorable mention?

He's got his issues...and no, he has not brought a KO return back to the house...but still he's been generally a bright spot over his 2.75 seasons. Special Forces, offense, now defense...

Am I just plain wrong or just not understanding the criteria being followed?

BTW, McKnight is indeed on the path to greatness.

Go Gopher! Beat Sparty!

Starting as a RS Freshaman, my choice is Ed Olson. Probably a guy my dog could have recruited to play at Minnesota because of Olson's loyalty to the school--- Brew landed him and he'll prove to be the best of the bunch.

Wels-

I gave thought to Ed Olson, but the OP's criteria was performance on the field so far. Olson may well end up being the best of the bunch Brew recruited, but to this point I feel it is McKnight for a variety of reasons. I am in Bob's boat in fact, it is McKnight hands down.

We will be in a better position to judge this when the next coach gets to work with these players.

Hayo was drastically overrated coming out of Juco. I don't care if he was recruited by Florida. Steve Watson has done a solid job developing McKnight and Gray, so if Hayo isn't seeing the field, I don't think it's a player development issue. It's LOFT (Lack Of F-ing Talent).

As for Brewster's best recruit, I can't believe Theret was even mentioned. Maybe it's because I have first row seats in the endzone and get to watch all of his blown assignments run into the endzone (and attempt a Lambeau Leap), but he has to be one of the worst safeties in the country at defending the pass. He's constantly out of position, too slow to make up any ground, and commits dumb penalties.

Hayo was drastically overrated coming out of Juco. I don't care if he was recruited by Florida. Steve Watson has done a solid job developing McKnight and Gray, so if Hayo isn't seeing the field, I don't think it's a player development issue. It's LOFT (Lack Of F-ing Talent).

Absolutely agree. He's terrible.

I wasn't trying to infer that he was some untapped talent. Just that he was a four-star recruit who was not seeing the field.

As for Brewster's best recruit, I can't believe Theret was even mentioned. Maybe it's because I have first row seats in the endzone and get to watch all of his blown assignments run into the endzone (and attempt a Lambeau Leap), but he has to be one of the worst safeties in the country at defending the pass. He's constantly out of position, too slow to make up any ground, and commits dumb penalties.

Were you part of the group that got the USD player to do the Lambeau Leap and got him not only a 15-yarder, but a butt-chewing from the coach? For a season like this, seeing that was one of my highlights.

Top Bottom