Brewster Quote

jason

Reaction score
This is a quote from a Strib article:

It was a great, great call," the coach said of Bennett's doomed rushes, adding that anyone who understands football would agree. The Wildcats had dropped an extra defender back into pass coverage, so "if we had executed properly, it's a fine call. The run game in two-minute situations is really good, particularly against the fronts you're playing against. They're playing the pass."

The coach also reasserted his goal for the drive: to reach the Northwestern 30-yard-line "or just inside it," and set up a game-winning field goal of roughly 47 yards in the final seconds. Kicker Eric Ellestad, however, is 1-for-7 from 40 yards or more in his career and has never made a field goal longer than 42 yards for the Gophers.

Can you believe that it was Brewster's goal to only get to the 30 yard line? And he thinks that running the ball with one minute left in the game is a good idea? There is a reason why the other team is playing pass in that situation: because if you don't get a first down or get out of bounds you must call a timeout. Even a nice 5-7 yard run is a bad play when there is only about 55 seconds left in the game and you are at the 40 yard line. Contrary to Brewster's belief, we really needed to get to at least the 20 yard line to put Ellestad in even a half-way decent position to kick the game winner.

But I'm not sure if Brew is telling the truth or if he is lieing. He does lie a lot in my opinion. But he's making himself look worse if he is lying because it would be better to admit bad gametime management than to look like he knows nothing about football. Running it up the middle on first and ten from the 40 yard line with 55 or so seconds is not a good play call.

It's bad enough that Brew is a terrible coach. But now he apparently is going to call into question our knowledge of the game by suggesting we don't know football if we think it's not a good idea to run it up the middle in the last minute of the game with only two timeouts left in the game. Right, we're the idiots.

By the way, was Brewster the inspiration for the South Park character Timmy?

He is not going to call out his O-coordinators play calling when the walls are already caving in around the program. He is in damage control mode. After he receives his buyout, he should open a PR firm.

I think its safe to assume that there is an implied "at least" in front of the 30 yard line.

Meaning we needed be as risk free as possible and get to within field goal range. I'm sure they would have taken any additional yards they could have gotten. So a run wasn't a bad call as we could have easily made the yards within the time frame. And given we were getting yardage on the ground all day, it was reasonable to expect that would continue especially against pass coverage.

It wasn't my favaorite call but it wasn't dumb as some would like to make it seem.

I would have preferred a straight ahead run rather than a draw since we did have the upperhand with the line and they likely didn't have the best personel to counter on the the field. I bet we easily could have gotten five yards. Three five yard plays we are probably celebrating a victory.

The draw up the middle was dumb, yes. But it pales in comparison to all of the time wasted because no timeout was called. And in comparison to the subsequent play... which was a rhythm-based play and was rushed to begin with... then the pass didn't reach first down yardage... which would have been fine if it was toward the sideline... which it wasn't. It was probably best that it was incomplete... because only God knows if Weber would have gotten the guys to the line in time to get another play off.

The whole reason the hurry-up offense often works so well is because the defense should be scrambling to keep up and set up properly. NU seemed just fine because we were tripping all over ourselves. Don't we practice this stuff??

Embarrassed.

No we probably don't practice it much. And remember it's Northwesterns normal game plan, their D is used to it. I think we had a time out problem if I remembered. We needed to save one for the FG.

Hated that particular run, it's not really a run we use much. Not against a run per se in that situation, but it should have been our best foot forward not trickery especially since we seemed to have the upperhand on the line.

The naked rollout by Weber that kept the drive going would have been a dumb call too if the contain person in the NU defense would have done his job.

Calling a play least expected or never seen by the D (the pass by Bennett to Lair) will often be successful if excuted properly.

A draw in this situation is not an unusual call. I don't think Brewster was playing guard or center on that play.

The Gophers caught the Wildcats off guard with the bootleg. I'm sure the thinking was that they could take them by surprise and pick up a good chunk of yardage by running the draw. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I think its safe to assume that there is an implied "at least" in front of the 30 yard line.

I don't think so. Not when he goes on to say "just inside it." It was pretty clear.

The naked rollout by Weber that kept the drive going would have been a dumb call too if the contain person in the NU defense would have done his job.

Calling a play least expected or never seen by the D (the pass by Bennett to Lair) will often be successful if excuted properly.

A draw in this situation is not an unusual call. I don't think Brewster was playing guard or center on that play.

I concur. This was the 1st game of the season where you could actually see the Opposing Defense guessing incorrectly.

What I hated about the call was the sense of urgency after it. It was almost like everyone was shellshocked that we got stuffed. It sucked that we ran that play right into their A gap blitz.

It was a great, great call," the coach said of Bennett's doomed rushes, adding that anyone who understands football would agree. The Wildcats had dropped an extra defender back into pass coverage, so "if we had executed properly, it's a fine call. The run game in two-minute situations is really good, particularly against the fronts you're playing against. They're playing the pass."

The coach also reasserted his goal for the drive: to reach the Northwestern 30-yard-line "or just inside it," and set up a game-winning field goal of roughly 47 yards in the final seconds. Kicker Eric Ellestad, however, is 1-for-7 from 40 yards or more in his career and has never made a field goal longer than 42 yards for the Gophers.

Can you believe that it was Brewster's goal to only get to the 30 yard line? And he thinks that running the ball with one minute left in the game is a good idea? There is a reason why the other team is playing pass in that situation: because if you don't get a first down or get out of bounds you must call a timeout. Even a nice 5-7 yard run is a bad play when there is only about 55 seconds left in the game and you are at the 40 yard line. Contrary to Brewster's belief, we really needed to get to at least the 20 yard line to put Ellestad in even a half-way decent position to kick the game winner.

But I'm not sure if Brew is telling the truth or if he is lieing. He does lie a lot in my opinion. But he's making himself look worse if he is lying because it would be better to admit bad gametime management than to look like he knows nothing about football. Running it up the middle on first and ten from the 40 yard line with 55 or so seconds is not a good play call.

It's bad enough that Brew is a terrible coach. But now he apparently is going to call into question our knowledge of the game by suggesting we don't know football if we think it's not a good idea to run it up the middle in the last minute of the game with only two timeouts left in the game. Right, we're the idiots.

I highly doubt the creators of South Park knew who the tight ends coach at the University of Texas was when that character debuted. Wait. Maybe you were making a joke. Good one.

Punky Brewster - Your funny!

I thought the best quote in the article is when Brewster said he is going to get help for Ellestad kicking off because he is feeling too much pressure. This is the same kid who Brewster was excited about giving an opportunity to kick a pressure filled 47 yard field goal to win the game. :clap:

Correct. You really can't make it up. Brew is going to have all the #1 seeds in the Preposterous Statement of the Year bracket the way he's going.

Don't forget - Brew again said in today's Strib story that we could very well be a 5-0 squad.

You just can't make it up, folks. These quotes are incompetence and insanity personified.

Meaning we needed be as risk free as possible and get to within field goal range. I'm sure they would have taken any additional yards they could have gotten. So a run wasn't a bad call as we could have easily made the yards within the time frame. And given we were getting yardage on the ground all day, it was reasonable to expect that would continue especially against pass coverage.

It wasn't my favaorite call but it wasn't dumb as some would like to make it seem.

I would have preferred a straight ahead run rather than a draw since we did have the upperhand with the line and they likely didn't have the best personel to counter on the the field. I bet we easily could have gotten five yards. Three five yard plays we are probably celebrating a victory.

You are down by 1, less than a minute left, need to get at least 15 yards, I am not sure where risk management enters here. It seems pretty obvious to me that you pull out all stops. If that is your culture you had better be good enough to control games.

It was a terrible call because of who we have at kicker and the number of timeouts left. We had two timeouts remaining and we were at the 40 yard line. Remember, the goal adds about 15-18 yards, so even a kick from the 20 yard line is approximately 35 yards.

The article points out that Ellestad is 1-7 in his career from outside 40 yards and has never kicked a fieldgoal of longer than 42. So we should have been aiming for about the 10 or 15 yard line, or at least the 20 yard line. Even a 35 yard kick is only a 50/50 proposition for Ellestad, or maybe worse.

So if you have to go another 20-25 yards and only have two timeouts, why run it up the middle. Even if the defense is thinking pass and you get a nice 7-8 yard run, you just used your second to last timeout. You could throw a 10 yard pass over the middle because every first down stops the clock. Or you could throw a short pass to the sideline and let the receiver get out of bounds.

It's another case of a coach trying to out-think everyone and actually out-thinking himself. And the direct quote did say that the coach was trying for just inside the 30, so that sounds like he was aiming for a 40-45 yard field goal. That's just terrible coaching - if you believe anything he says.

I hope that he's just too proud to admit it was a dumb play call and not that he actually hasn't learned from his mistake. I suppose it doesn't matter much, because he's gone at the end of the year. I heard the KFAN take that he might be back next year because the U of M president and athletic directive positions are possibly in transition, but that's nonsense. There will be way too much pressure to make a change and there will be someone willing to take the job.

So that brings the total defenders outside the box to 2...they had the box stacked the whole second half, including the last drive.

It was a terrible call because of who we have at kicker and the number of timeouts left. We had two timeouts remaining and we were at the 40 yard line. Remember, the goal adds about 15-18 yards, so even a kick from the 20 yard line is approximately 35 yards.

The article points out that Ellestad is 1-7 in his career from outside 40 yards and has never kicked a fieldgoal of longer than 42. So we should have been aiming for about the 10 or 15 yard line, or at least the 20 yard line. Even a 35 yard kick is only a 50/50 proposition for Ellestad, or maybe worse.

So if you have to go another 20-25 yards and only have two timeouts, why run it up the middle. Even if the defense is thinking pass and you get a nice 7-8 yard run, you just used your second to last timeout. You could throw a 10 yard pass over the middle because every first down stops the clock. Or you could throw a short pass to the sideline and let the receiver get out of bounds.

It's another case of a coach trying to out-think everyone and actually out-thinking himself. And the direct quote did say that the coach was trying for just inside the 30, so that sounds like he was aiming for a 40-45 yard field goal. That's just terrible coaching - if you believe anything he says.

I hope that he's just too proud to admit it was a dumb play call and not that he actually hasn't learned from his mistake. I suppose it doesn't matter much, because he's gone at the end of the year. I heard the KFAN take that he might be back next year because the U of M president and athletic directive positions are possibly in transition, but that's nonsense. There will be way too much pressure to make a change and there will be someone willing to take the job.

I think the game moves too quickly for him. He makes the wrong decision during crunch time and then goes in the locker room after the game and tries to justify his moves by making up nothing short of nonsense rationalizations. Desperate people do and say desperate things!

I think the game moves too quickly for him. He makes the wrong decision during crunch time and then goes in the locker room after the game and tries to justify his moves by making up nothing short of nonsense rationalizations. Desperate people do and say desperate things!

Exactly right on both points.

1) The game moves too fast for him: While I don't agree with the draw play, it's the coaches perogative and I wouldn't criticize it IF they ran back up to the line like they had a plan B in case it didn't work. Instead you totally get the impression that the attitude is, "CRAP! That didn't work? Now what? Think fast! Do SOMETHING! ANYTHING!" People running around, looking at the sidelines, etc.

2)Nonsense rationalizations. Yes. Which is why you can't trust anything Brewster says. He's not 'dishonest' per say, but he is so worried about defending his position that he's completely willing to say anything to defend himself, no matter how absurd. You can't take anything he says at face value because you don't know if it's what he really thinks, or is just whatever randomly comes out of his mouth as he attempts to justify mistakes.

At this point nothing Brewster says surprises me anymore...

I think he'll spin his own firing...

At this point nothing Brewster says surprises me anymore...

I think he'll spin his own firing...

Top Bottom