Brewster Press Conference Notes, 9-29-09

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Here are some notes from today's press conference:

-Brewster was please to go on the road and win...however, it's only one win, and now they have moved on to take on the Badgers

-The weekly team awards were as follows:

-Offensive Player: Duane Bennett
-Defensive Player: Eric Small
-Special Forces: Bryant Allen
-Hard Hat Hit of the Game: Barrett Moen
-Lunch Pail Award: The Entire Offensive Line, Tight End, and Fullbacks
-Extra Effort: D.L. Wilhite and D.J. Burress
-Great Teammate: Eric Decker
-Scout Team Offensive Player: Victor Keise
-Scout Team Defensive Player: Eric Jacques

-It's a fun week for everyone, but particularly for the fans, as they have waited 28 years for a campus environment like we'll have on Saturday, with Big Ten football back on campus

-There is no need for motivation for this week...if you can't get up for this game, there's something wrong

-The talk during practices has not been about motivation, but more about execution

-Wisconsin is a very good team, and is very balanced and fundamental, as they usually are

-In order to win, the Gophers need a Three-Phased victory, with offense, defense, and special forces all playing their best game of the year

-With multiple big rivalries every year in Wisconsin and Iowa, it's good to have some separation between them, rather than playing them back-to-back at the end of the year

-Those unfamiliar with the rivalry would possibly downplay the significance, but it is as big as it gets. Mentioned that he has been in a number of situations with other rivalries, such as Texas-Oklahoma, and said the significance of this one is special as well

-There is great parity in the conference this year...anyone can win on any given Saturday; having said that, going 2-0 would be significant to whoever wins on Saturday

-Whaley is a "curve ball" to the offense, as he gives extra quickness and deceptive speed...he runs with "violence" when he has the ball

-Cosgrove and Lee work very well together, and are familiar with each other, which has helped the defense gel. Also mentioned that they are working well with Cross and Butler to form a cohesive defensive unit

-Tolzien and Weber are comparable from the quarterback position, and have similar styles

-Says he wants to be able to "win Left-Handed," meaning he wants to be able to win with either the run or the pass, depending on what the opposition is trying to take away (Editors note: As a lefty myself, I would only assume this to be a compliment, and refuse to consider this anything other...)

-Mentioned Anthony Jacobs playing particularly well

-Depth has been a real positive for the team this year

-Collado has the versatility to play a number of different positions, and will be asked to do so in the next few weeks

-Mentioned that Wisconsin has a good Tight End in Graham, but also mentioned that the Gophers also have a very good tight end in Tow-Arnett, and commented that it makes practicing easier for teams when you have players that are strong as the players of the opposition

-Couldn't put a number on how many losses the champion of the Big Ten would have this season

-Was pleased by the lack of penalties in the Northwestern game, and have worked hard to clean up those issues, particularly those killer penalties

Thanks for the post alltimetwinsfan!

Webster's Corrections

Here are some notes from today's press conference:

-Brewster was please to go on the road and win...however, it's only one win, and now they have moved on to take on the Badgers

-The weekly team awards were as follows:

-Offensive Player: Duane Bennett
-Defensive Player: Eric Small
-Special Forces: Bryant Allen
-Hard Hat Hit of the Game: Barrett Moen
-Lunch Pail Award: The Entire Offensive Line, Tight End, and Fullbacks
-Extra Effort: D.L. Wilhite and D.J. Burress
-Great Teammate: Eric Decker
-Scout Team Offensive Player: Victor Keise
-Scout Team Defensive Player: Eric Jacques

-It's a fun week for everyone, but particularly for the fans, as they have waited 28 years for a campus environment like we'll have on Saturday, with Big Ten football back on campus

-There is no need for motivation for this week...if you can't get up for this game, there's something wrong

-The talk during practices has not been about motivation, but more about execution

-Wisconsin is a very good team, and is very balanced and fundamental, as they usually are

-In order to win, the Gophers need a Three-Fazed victory, with offense, defense, and special forces all playing their best game of the year

-With multiple big rivalries every year in Wisconsin and Iowa, it's good to have some separation between them, rather than playing them back-to-back at the end of the year

-Those unfamiliar with the rivalry would possibly downplay the significance, but it is as big as it gets. Mentioned that he has been in a number of situations with other rivalries, such as Texas-Oklahoma, and said the significance of this one is special as well

-There is great parody in the conference this year...anyone can win on any given Saturday; having said that, going 2-0 would be significant to whoever wins on Saturday

-Whaley is a "curve ball" to the offense, as he gives extra quickness and deceptive speed...he runs with "violence" when he has the ball

-Cosgrove and Lee work very well together, and are familiar with each other, which has helped the defense gel. Also mentioned that they are working well with Cross and Butler to form a cohesive defensive unit

-Tolzien and Weber are comparable from the quarterback position, and have similar styles

-Says he wants to be able to "win Left-Handed," meaning he wants to be able to win with either the run or the pass, depending on what the opposition is trying to take away (Editors note: As a lefty myself, I would only assume this to be a compliment, and refuse to consider this anything other...)

-Mentioned Anthony Jacobs playing particularly well

-Depth has been a real positive for the team this year

-Collado has the versatility to play a number of different positions, and will be asked to do so in the next few weeks

-Mentioned that Wisconsin has a good Tight End in Graham, but also mentioned that the Gophers also have a very good tight end in Tow-Arnett, and commented that it makes practicing easier for teams when you have players that are strong as the players of the opposition

-Couldn't put a number on how many losses the champion of the Big Ten would have this season

-Was pleased by the lack of penalties in the Northwestern game, and have worked hard to clean up those issues, particularly those killer penalties

Appreciate the update, but:

Three-PHASED not Fazed
PARITY - not parody (although some other conferences would argue)

Again, somewhere Mrs. Anderson (my 4th grade teacher) is smiling.

Great job, thanks Alltime*. Nice to see the Oline getting some props. Eric Small and Barrett Moen... didn't know they deserved special recognition but heh, what do I know? I just thought Kirksey, Jacobs and Wilhite played well.

Appreciate the update, but:

Three-PHASED not Fazed
PARITY - not parody (although some other conferences would argue)

Again, somewhere Mrs. Anderson (my 4th grade teacher) is smiling.

Done, and Done. I was in a hurry to get it up onto the site. Further, you misread the statement...I meant parody. It's a play on words...but since you have no sense of humor, I'll change it for you...

;)

Brewster has really turned down the volume from when he first got here. He came in guns ablazing, partly because that was what he was hired to do: recruit and sell the program. And maybe partly because he was new to the job and was just learning how to act as the head guy. He's still positive and energetic, but he has changed dramatically in terms of the rah, rah Ski U Mah stuff.

For example, "Brewster was pleased to go on the road and win ... however, it's only one win, and now they have moved on to take on the Badgers." This is not the Tim Brewster from 2007. Not that he offended me before, but I like that quote.

Great job, thanks Alltime*. Nice to see the Oline getting some props. Eric Small and Barrett Moen... didn't know they deserved special recognition but heh, what do I know? I just thought Kirksey, Jacobs and Wilhite played well.

Kirksey didn't play last week. He was injured.

Brewster has really turned down the volume from when he first got here. He came in guns ablazing, partly because that was what he was hired to do: recruit and sell the program. And maybe partly because he was new to the job and was just learning how to act as the head guy. He's still positive and energetic, but he has changed dramatically in terms of the rah, rah Ski U Mah stuff.

For example, "Brewster was pleased to go on the road and win ... however, it's only one win, and now they have moved on to take on the Badgers." This is not the Tim Brewster from 2007. Not that he offended me before, but I like that quote.

I think what you are seeing is a coach fully confident in his team's ability to go out there and win football games, as opposed to a coach who feels he needs to inspire his team to believe it can win football games when the talent may say otherwise.

That, and I think 1-11 humbles anyone lol.

Thanks ATTF, nice report. Not that Brewster would provide much info, but did he get asked about the suspensions?

Nobody asked about the suspensions during the conference itself, and folks were pretty tight-lipped about it before and after as well. It may come out at some point, but today certainly wasn't the day.

It probably doesn't matter, anyways. What's done is done, and my guess is the punishment was probably worth the crime...that's all I need to know.

Nobody asked about the suspensions during the conference itself, and folks were pretty tight-lipped about it before and after as well. It may come out at some point, but today certainly wasn't the day.

It probably doesn't matter, anyways. What's done is done, and my guess is the punishment was probably worth the crime...that's all I need to know.

Exactly. I think thats a good sign rather than lamenting about the loss of McKinley. There is enough depth there to fill in adequately.

It probably doesn't matter said:
I have to agree, whats done is done and we have a big game this week. Similar to Bayfield, I also think I also think that its a good thing that the suspensions are in the rear view mirror and people are excited about the game. A game that we have a great chance of winning, with or without our full compliment of players. Go Gophers!

Kirksey didn't play last week. He was injured.

Duh, Thanks for the catch my bad. Come to think of it Moen made the hit when Big Ced got the fumble right? OK, I guess I will just trust the coaches on stuff like this.:eek:

No, McKinley first stripped Kafka and then made the recovery. Moen was playing the opposite end and put the hit on Kafka after the fact.

Top Bottom