Brewster out immediately

SunGopher

Reaction score
Per wcco the morning Brewster is out, 1 pm news conference and Horton to coach remainder of the year on an interim basis.

Wow. I kinda wished Brewster would finish the season. Horton should be able to manage the rest of the way. What I fear is we'll end up with another Gutekunst situation where they just give him the reins permanently because the players want him.

It had to be done, but I feel for coach Brewster. He busted his ass for this team, was genuinely excited about it, and did everything in his power to help us win.

I hope he lands someplace good. Best of luck Brew.

Wow. I kinda wished Brewster would finish the season. Horton should be able to manage the rest of the way. What I fear is we'll end up with another Gutekunst situation where they just give him the reins permanently because the players want him.

That was my fear with the basketball team and that situation worked out for the best.

I have to believe there are a lot of coaches out there that would like this job. There are not many schools where you are guaranteed to play Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin every year in a brand new state of the art stadium.

I guess this was probably as appropriate a question a week ago as it is now, but does anyone know how a team in this situation proceeds with recruiting? Does it all still fall to the current coaching staff, even though they may not be around next year, or does the athletic department take an active role in the process somehow?

Wow, so long Brew,it's been nice knowing ya! God I hope Horton can pull these guys together for a couple of game where we are at least competitive.

ESPN already mentioning McCarney, Sumlin and Trestman - the latter two have only a few seasons as head coach and McCarney is over the hill. Hope we can do better than that.

Per wcco the morning Brewster is out, 1 pm news conference and Horton to coach remainder of the year on an interim basis.

Good. I know it's not a "popular" decision among the diehards but it sends a message that the U isn't going to simply "play out the string" with a lame duck coach. The season is a lost cause...might as well let an interim coach for an OC job somewhere else and give the kids a chance to play for a starting gig under the new coach or a starting gig at a new program.

ESPN already mentioning McCarney, Sumlin and Trestman - the latter two have only a few seasons as head coach and McCarney is over the hill. Hope we can do better than that.

Sumlin is a solid double for a hire. Trestman would be a gamble since he hasn't been in the college game in four years and only has a few years under his belt in the college game. McCarney would probably be one of the worst possible choices out there.

As John Wooden used to preach be quick but don't hurry. This isn't a hire that needs to be made in the next few weeks. Making a bad hire at this point will bury whatever is left of our program. The U is an incredible place where someone can build a winner. When you look to our neighbors to the south and east, they have programs that we can have. In fact, we have more resources than they do in many respects. Don't settle for retreads like Dan McCarney, go for someone with experience who will come and build. It doesn't have to be a Nick Saban, but we shouldn't settle for less than an innovator who will come in and change the way we do business in the field house. Someone with a proven record of building a program from the ground up. Good luck to you coach Brewster wherever you land. May we never see the likes of you in charge again.

Does anyone know who is carrying the Press Conference at one? I don't live in Minnesota at the moment, but do have FSN north and the Big Ten Network. is the Strib going to stream it maybe?

Top Bottom