Brewster on 'Pound the Rock'

MBAGuy

Needs something to cheer about
Reaction score
From The Tim Brewster Show on WCCO tonight, and I'm paraphrasing until the audio is posted:

There's a misconception associated with that. It has nothing to do with running the football. It's a mentality. It's about being physical and aggressive. It's got nothing to do with running the football.

I'll post a link as soon as one is available.

Thoughts?

From The Tim Brewster Show on WCCO tonight, and I'm paraphrasing until the audio is posted:

There's a misconception associated with that. It has nothing to do with running the football. It's a mentality. It's about being physical and aggressive. It's got nothing to do with running the football.

I'll post a link as soon as one is available.

Thoughts?

Interesting I guess, I have never heard a coach use that phrase to mean anything different that running the ball with authority. I gave up trying to understand the true meaning of many of his phrases a while ago however.

Never heard "pound the rock" for anything but run the football

Pound the rock has alway's meant, to run the ball down the opponents throat until they stop it, every coach I have ever witnessed say that meant exactly that. Were going to shove the ball down there g'damn throat until they prove they can stop it on the ground. "Grind the snot out of them". I have no problem that this is a passing team but that whole "pound the rock" means playing physical sounds like more babble then misconception. You want to play phyiscal say Tired how could you be tired your not even sweating fool, and your sure as heck not moving. I guess "Pound the rock" means be physical to the Brew.I guess it can mean be physical be nasty, that is the mentality I guess. I take "pound the rock to mean" be explosive, fly off the ball and accelerate through the man and put them on there azz.

Mr. T pounded the Rock....but the Rock turned the tables in the rematch.

"Get your dad gum chili hot." If you're going to mock our coach, at least do so correctly.

I stand corrected, I try and forget the stupid phrase which has no meaning and is probably one of if not the dumbest phrase I have ever heard a division 1 coach make that some fans are actually proud to repeat. It means nothing. What's next, get your jambalaya hot? Atleast use a phrase that shows that you graduated from high school, you are representing a university after all.

C'mon, how can you not like "get yer chili hot"? Sure it's dumb, but what would sports be without the grandiloquence, the cliches, and the folksy old saws of its coaches...so this saturday forget what university's are for--loosen up your tie, yank the stick from your colon, crack open a beer, and yell like hell when coach Brew and the Gophs take the field!

Unless the D plays with a high degree of discipline, execution and teamwork, which is something we rarely see from a Gopher D, we will witness a true form of how to Pound the Rock ala Air Force Academy style. From what I saw against SU, I don't expect the same from the Gopher offense. Rather a version of Fling the Stone, as Husker succinctly posted recently.

Pound the Rock

I've been waiting for someone to explain pound the rock in this way, and I'm not surprised it was Coach Brew who did it. About a month ago, I was watching one of those season in review/ESPN classic type programs that was focused primarily on the coach of a big name program (might've been pro??). For the life of me, I can't remember who it was on (I'll try to edit if it comes back to me). Their coach put a huge rock in their locker room and told them that no matter what tools you were using if you just kept pounding that rock it would eventually fall apart. That is the type of team mentality he wanted his players to have, just keep hitting, keep coming back. This is very similar to the other ones you have seen with players bringing axes or sledghammers onto the field as they file out before kickoff...keep on choppin, etc. While I think this very much includes a power running game, it includes a lot more as well. That's why the whole team (and not just the offense, is wearing shirts that have this slogan on them). Contrary to a lot of the beliefs on this board, we do not always know exactly what is said in the locker room, or what the team is working on, and we shouldn't be so quick to criticize (especially after one week).

I try and forget the stupid phrase which has no meaning and is probably one of if not the dumbest phrase I have ever heard a division 1 coach make that some fans are actually proud to repeat.

A bit dramatic are we??? The "dumbest" phrase EVER (from a D1 coach)??? Get serious, stupid shit gets said all the time. Go back to the Nebraska and Texas boards and profess your love for Bo and Mac, I mean Neb and Texas are surely two teams we should be judging ourselves against at this point so I just want to thank you for all your input and comparisons to those two programs :rolleyes:

I stand corrected, I try and forget the stupid phrase which has no meaning and is probably one of if not the dumbest phrase I have ever heard a division 1 coach make that some fans are actually proud to repeat. It means nothing. What's next, get your jambalaya hot? Atleast use a phrase that shows that you graduated from high school, you are representing a university after all.

SERIOUSLY? JUST SHUTUP ALREADY!
Here we are on the brink of the greatest day in this program's recent history and all you can do is take your little shots at our head coach's enthusiasm and team building methods?

You don't like our coach, you want a stoic, no nonsense, rockhead of a coach fine, but we don't have that now, we have a guy who has been working his tail off to remove 4 decades of bad attitudes and tries to fire up his fanbase and promote the university, and YEAH he likes to get excited, O DANG, I guess he's worthless then. SHUT UP ALREADY, if your life sucks so much that you can't stand others who like getting excited and being positive then crawl under a rock and stay there, and while your there hopefully someone will "pound it".

Oh holy jeebus. My college basketball coach used all sorts of dumb phrases when he was fired up (OT: In my head right now I have memories of some story he gave in a pregame about meeting our rivals in a back alley and getting into a knife fight). All the guys on the team LOVED THEM. And we loved coach BECAUSE he got so nuts when he was fired up. Our fans felt the same way. My brother played college FB for the same kind of guy (I swear to god he was a D-III version of Brew). And his team loved him for it too. But yes, we're all dumber for it. :rolleyes:

Who gives a crap that it means nothing? I could care less. He's an overenergetic goofball. Deal.

My old football coach used to yell 'GET IN HIS CHILLI!!!' all the time when he wanted someone to be more physical. We loved it. After a big hit guys would say stuff like 'I stirred his chilli up'. IT was great. GopherGod has obviously never played football or at least never had one with much of a personality. Coaches say all sorts of stuff to get their players attention and a lot of it works.

Kinda like "choppin' wood" and "men at work" and all that. i like it.

Lets go to the tape

As a champion of Pound The Rock in its truest sense, it seems Coach Brewster is extending the meaning. He talks about the need to run the ball effectively against Air Force, and the goal of averaging 4 yards per rush. And they confirmed the discipline in running the ball when the results are not there. The idea he has that kids want to throw it around rather than run it the way the Academies do. And then the email question.

http://www.wccoradio.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4014302

Pound the Rock!

Brewster pointed out we do need to run the ball more, and Bennett is the number one guy. I agree, but there is a problem if Bennett gets hurt. We are not going to be able to pound the Rock if Bennett is out. We just do not have the running backs to do that. You have to play to your strengths. If Bennett gets hurt and your trying to run the ball 50 percent of the time or more, all the teams we play would gladly welcome that sight.

I sure hope and pray that Bennett stays healthy.

CHIN MUSIC!

Put your helmet right on their chest that their head snaps forward and the sound of their chin hitting your helmet can be heard.

GopherGod you should travel around Texas. When I played there were so many sayings we could sit at a camp and compare all of them all night, and still not reach 'em all.

Your kidding right? Wow, it is a phrase used in football. I think by that fact alone should indicated it is not suppose to have some bibilcial meaning.

Bayfield - you need to stop too. You have been whinning about last week's win all this week. The Gophers won they are 1-0 enjoy it man.

It sure has been a long time since the goph football team finished >4th place in the B10, dad gum it! I just checked out eric thrall's site of Gopher FB history and it is humbling.......probably has helped me manage my expectations. Jeezo-Beezo!

It sure has been a long time since the goph football team finished >4th place in the B10, dad gum it! I just checked out eric thrall's site of Gopher FB history and it is humbling.......probably has helped me manage my expectations. Jeezo-Beezo!

Ha. I forgot about "jeezo beezo."

For all his bad years, I couldn't help but like Wacker.

I take it that your dad gum chili is in fact, not hot. :(

"Pound the rock" is a vague phrase which means at its most basic to run the ball and establish the running game. It carries implications of a power running game, but it is vague.

Your kidding right? Wow, it is a phrase used in football.

By assuming this you would be assuming that GopherGod has ever played sports, he just watches and wishes and will never be anything more than a troll who likes to insert himself into the action via a message board.

Top Bottom