Brewster "not concerned" about student ticket slump

I've accidentally spilled my drinks and yelled at people in the student section for wearing Wisconsin stuff. I don't think it's any different at Minnesota than anywhere else. Minnesotans think that they're the only people with bandwagon fans, and the only place afflicted by local indifference or venomous media outlets.

Wisconsin is a raised Badger fan state. In Minnesota, you seem more likely to become a Gopher fan when you start school.

So, Wisconsinites show up in Minneapolis as lifelong Badger fans. Minnesotans show up in Madison as Vikings fans.

I think it's a cardinal rule that you should cheer for your alma mater. It takes winning for the weaker people to switch to the correct allegiance. A few wins in a row in the axe series and you will see less and less Badger gear in the Minnesota student section.

People seem to forget that the Minnesota/Wisconsin relationship is unique. I don't know of any other states that share in-state tuition figures. When 20% of your students are from the "rival" state, you're going to have people who don't give up their fanaticism for the hometown school.

Do these supposedly born and raised Badger fans remain Badger fans when they attend other Big Ten schools? (I thought people in Wisconsin were programmed to be Packer fans) Surely Minnesota isn't the only college they attend. At any other college, students wearing the rivals colors would be ostracized.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the programs, it has nothing to do with how people were raised. It is %^&^$$# Minnesota Nice. At virtually every college, it's unthinkable to attend that college and be a fan of that school's rival. You'd be ostracized. It doesn't matter what the schools are. If you wear a Moorhead State shirt when you're a student at Bemidji State, and cheer for MSU-M, expect to get ostracized.

But not at Minnesota. No, here instead of having the attitide that every other college has, we have the "Oh, he wants to root for his hometown school. That's OK, don'cha know." Any other school, a student rooting against his alma mater, would expect that people would "accidentally" spill their drinks on him.

If being a fan of one school is important to you, don't attend that school's rival. People who are fan of one team, while attending that team's rival school seem to have utterly missed the connection between the team and the school that they represent. Are they aware that the team isn't a seperate entity, but actually repesents a school?

Imagine if you wore a Minnesota St. t-shirt at St. Cloud St.

Back to your point though, when you start cheering for a school so hard (since that's the way we were brought up) it's hard to just NOT become a fan anymore. I never cheered for the badgers, but my close friends that came here to school with me are indifferent during the MN badger games because "I've been cheering for them since I was little" is what they say when I ask them why they aren't cheering for their OWN school. idk, I don't understand that BS yet. But picture being a long-time Vikings fan, and then moving to Boston, let's say. You don't un-become a Vikings fan just because you live in Patriot territory.

I decided to stick it to everyone back home and didn't even apply to madison, those *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#s.

I apologize if I ranted

I think a better comparison is if you moved to Boston to work in the Patriots front office or something. There's no way you would openly cheer for the Vikings over the Patriots while at work.

I will never understand why some don't at least cheer for their school while they are going to that school.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the programs, it has nothing to do with how people were raised. It is %^&^$$# Minnesota Nice. At virtually every college, it's unthinkable to attend that college and be a fan of that school's rival. You'd be ostracized. It doesn't matter what the schools are. If you wear a Moorhead State shirt when you're a student at Bemidji State, and cheer for MSU-M, expect to get ostracized.

But not at Minnesota. No, here instead of having the attitide that every other college has, we have the "Oh, he wants to root for his hometown school. That's OK, don'cha know." Any other school, a student rooting against his alma mater, would expect that people would "accidentally" spill their drinks on him.

If being a fan of one school is important to you, don't attend that school's rival. People who are fan of one team, while attending that team's rival school seem to have utterly missed the connection between the team and the school that they represent. Are they aware that the team isn't a seperate entity, but actually repesents a school?

Being from Illinois no such bone exists in my body. I heckle everyone. 2 years ago when we played in champaign I wore gopher stuff in the illinois student section with a shirt underneath. My gopher shirt was ripped off my body. The hockey student section was notoriously rowdy until they split them up and the basketball section is getting better.

Rowdy fans make good fans. I think the U thinks of itself more as a research institution ( which is awesome) but doesn't want the party aspect to game day like iowa and madison because it would give us a bad rep. IE social host law. Last time i check our rankings have been decreasing... Its football basketball and hockey they're raucous sports, not ballet dancing! Let the fans have fun!

But to answer your question as to why people that head to Madison and become Badger fans compared to people that come to the U and remain Badger fans is mainly the quality of the programs.

I think cheering for a school because they win more is just lazy.

This reminds me of people who have absolutely no ties to Ohio St. but are "huge fans" of the football team. I'd like to see how strong these people's connection to the program would be if they didn't win 10+ games/year.

I think cheering for a school because they win more is just lazy.

This reminds me of people who have absolutely no ties to Ohio St. but are "huge fans" of the football team. I'd like to see how strong these people's connection to the program would be if they didn't win 10+ games/year.

I know a guy at work who says he is a fan of the following teams:
NCAA: Florida
NFL: New England
NFL: Los Angeles
MLB: New York Yankees

I refuse to discuss sports with him as he is not worth my time.

I know a guy at work who says he is a fan of the following teams:
NCAA: Florida
NFL: New England
NFL: Los Angeles
MLB: New York Yankees

I refuse to discuss sports with him as he is not worth my time.

I worked with someone awhile back like that. He was from New Jersey and loved the Yankees, Lakers, and U. of Miami football team (this was shortly after they won it all in '01 I believe). If you criticized any of "his teams" he would respond with "you're just jealous." Most annoying sports fan ever.

I worked with someone awhile back like that. He was from New Jersey and loved the Yankees, Lakers, and U. of Miami football team (this was shortly after they won it all in '01 I believe). If you criticized any of "his teams" he would respond with "you're just jealous." Most annoying sports fan ever.

The type that switches to whomever is on top. I think there should be a waiting list to switch fandom to the current #1 team. I remember the Dallas Cowboys winning the Super Bowl, and there were all these newly minted Cowboy fans. When someone else was on top, that jersey would go in the closet. The Cowboy's "America's Team" trademark was effective propaganda.

LeBron James

All I needed to know about "King James"--he grew up in Akron and his favorite teams are the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Yankees.

Top Bottom