Brewster news conference recap

Doogie

Reaction score
Depth chart released...Moen a starter at left DE over Jacobs...Maresh not 2nd team LB...Carpenter listed officially as a 2nd teamer behind Green...Sherels 1st team PR...Allen, not Jay Thomas listed as the No. 2 kick returner...Bunders the starter at LG...Tow-Arnett the starter at C...Bennett listed as the No. 1 RB.
They are not in for "a rude awakening" according to Brewster.
Asked Brewster who his 3rd CB is...didn't give a definitive answer, but brought up Carter by name...did not bring up Collado.
They will mix in all 3 RBs on Sat...see who is the best heading into the 4th qtr.
Spoke very highly of Orseske...said he feels good about the kicking game...wants Ellestad to be competent from 40-yards and in.
Found it ironic that they open up in a dome...and that the "Carrier" dome doesn't have air conditioning.
On Paulus: "I fully anticipate him to play well. He didn't forgot all he knows about football."
He feels good about the depth, best depth he's had here.
"I am truly excited about our football team."
They will move Decker around a lot...formation, motion, shift...they will ask a lot of Decker...and he's ready for it.
"We won't sneak up on anybody."

--Also listened in on Weber, Decker, and Brown...Weber said "we're gonna establish the run." Also said this is "definitely" the best group of receiving options he's had since being here.
--One reporter asked Weber and Decker about Kuznia being hurt...Weber said "we'll have to see how he does today in practice." Decker called him "Mr. Reliable"

Thanks for the recap, Doogie.

Is Hageman listed on the 2 deeps at either TE or DE?

Does anyone have a link to his DC on the gophersports site?

I am officially no longer concerned about our OL. With Stoudamire and Allen returning kicks, the OL may never even play.

Doin' a little research for my Big Ten Fantasy Football League Draft and Minnesota is the only school in the league to have not posted a depth chart online.

A few interesting things...
Moen starting, we'll see, at least we should be solid at the point of attack, but I hope they have a plan for QB rollouts and scrambles to the outside, our starting DE's right now lack some speed, hopefully good technique and strength allow them to contain Paulus.

Allen 2nd KR instead of Thomas, I think this reads that they expect teams to minimize Stoudemire's return potential by kicking away from him and maybe want another potential speed guy in there, Thomas was great last year lead blocking on returns.

Maresh not 2nd string, assuming its Tinsley then, I actually thought Maresh looked good at the scrimmage, rumors of his leg holding him back might have some truth. Hope Sam can see the field at some point either way. I'll be cheering for him as he takes the flag from the tunnel on opening day.

I hope the motion and shifting Decker does keeps him in a position to make plays, but limits his direct hits, he was darn near a runningback at times last year with all the quick screens and flip out plays. Keep him healthy and put him in position to be one on one with a Dback or in space with a LB.

I have to be curious as to the scouting they've done on Syracuse, it seems that unlike ourselves, Marrone has put a complete lid on his offense and defense. I see this as a sign he isn't real confident in his team's ability to matchup physically and needs an extra suprise element right out of the gates.

Just got my hands on the depth chart. Here's the offense:

LT
Stommes, Alford

LG
Bunders, Ruckdashel

C
Tow-Arnett, Davis

RG
Carufel, Burris

RT
Wills, Orton

QB
Weber, Gray

RB
Bennett, Eskridge, Whaley

FB
Hoese, U'u

WR
Decker, McKnight

WR
Stoudermire, Allen

WR
Green, Carpenter

TE
Tow-Arnett, Lair

K
Ellestad, Schwerman

And the defense:

DE
Moen, Jacobs

DT
Brown, Kirksey

N
Small, Edwards

DE
McKinley, Henderson

LB
Lawrence, Sharpe

LB
Campbell, Tinsley

LB
Triplett, Cooper

CB
Simmons, Carter

S
Theret, Rallis

S
Royston, Dandridge

CB
Sherels, Collado

P
Oreske, Haudan

PR
Sherels, Stoudermire

KR
Stoudermire, Allen, Thomas

^^ Thanks, Defense now? Sorry, im just excited cause this means its football time!!

EDIT: Didnt see Part 2

Why would they be in for a rude awakening?

Nedward Tavale?
Spencer Reeves?
Shady?
Xzavian Brandon?

Kinda surprised these guys aren't mentioned. I think Shady showed much more than Eskridge did last year and Whaley weighs less than Stoudiermire does.

Tavale was a starter two years ago. I can't believe he's regressed to this point.

Nedward Tavale? Has been beat out even last year, seems like a good team guy, hope he gets a chance to contribute in some way
Spencer Reeves?could be that he needs some seasoning, could be that Sharpe is a senior and that's why he gets the nod all things equal
Shady?Was hurt alot this spring and fall, might be in line for a position change or Soph RS, I do like his potential catching the ball and he's put together well enough to block, maybe a future thrid down guy/special teamer
Xzavian Brandon?I believe he's hurt, might miss significant time

Kinda surprised these guys aren't mentioned. I think Shady showed much more than Eskridge did last year and Whaley weighs less than Stoudiermire does.

Tavale was a starter two years ago. I can't believe he's regressed to this point.[/QUOTE]

Anyone else notice lately that Brew has been pretty even keeled even subdued for his standards? Is he worried about this season, or is it that with a better team he can calm his brash talk down a bit? Or am I nuts?

I am officially no longer concerned about our OL. With Stoudamire and Allen returning kicks, the OL may never even play.

This might be our best return team ever... and don't forget Sherels on the KR was a beast until Stoudamire came along. I am really looking forward to our return game this year.

I believe Shady is red-shirting. I know they want him at about 215 lbs next season.
I hope Reeves and Brandon also red-shirt which will spread out the talent and depth for the next
few years. Red-shirting some receivers will allow Gray more time to work together. I also believe Campion is grey-shirting which will give him plenty of time to recover from his surgery.
I would like to see Maresh, Reeves, Cooper, and Tinsley play together for 3 years.

Does the NCAA require a depth chart be posted prior to a game? I understand how it assists fans tracking players, but couldn't a college team keep everything hush til game time?

Gopher4life15 -- I agree....can't pinpoint why, but hearing you loud and clear...as for Hageman, not listed on the 2nd team, although the 2nd team means little...for what it's worth, Jacobs and Henderson the backup DEs

Anyone else notice lately that Brew has been pretty even keeled even subdued for his standards? Is he worried about this season, or is it that with a better team he can calm his brash talk down a bit? Or am I nuts?

In the past, I think Brewster felt he needed to do that schtick in order to get people to notice the program. I'm not saying the he's not genuinely an enthusiastic person, but he probably recognized that the first step was to create a positive atmosphere for the players and fans. He took some hits for it, which I think matured him as a head coach.

Maresh was not enrolled last year, right? He could be targeted for Red Shirt assuming our LB depth is sufficient. Grant also at LB? Is Rengel in school?

- IIRC, Brewster does not typically release the most current depth charts to the press/public. The one that normally appears in the game notes is the depth chart from the week prior.

- Yes, Rengel is in school, he is playing as an H-back I think?

- Maresh and Reeves are in the same boat I think, they both arrived in January, so they still have up to 5 years of eligibility ,and could take a redshirt year if desired.

I'd like to see Maresh and Reeves redshirt.

I take that back, it sounds like the media did get a copy of the depth chart today.

I'm typically not a fan of a growing program redshirting kids. It seems like you're just denying the opportunity for a better recruit four years down the line. But i can handle either of those two redshirting.

Maresh was not enrolled last year, right? He could be targeted for Red Shirt assuming our LB depth is sufficient. Grant also at LB? Is Rengel in school?

Yes is the answer to everything you asked.

How about David Pittman? Where's he on the depth chart? Any chance Maresh redshirts?

Pittman is not listed on the two-deeps...he's behind Decker, Green, Stoudermire, McKnight, & Carpenter (and maybe Brandon when he's healthy)...and Yes on Maresh.

Top Bottom