Brewster news conf. recap 9/22 -- Sherels & Decker fine

Doogie

Reaction score
I see a 71-post thread with my name in the headline, will have to get to, so will make this relatively quick...

Brewster:
---NOT about moral victories, "we had a great opportunity (vs. Cal), really disappointed"
On Cal: "the expectation was to win the game", because of Cal, AF, and Syr, "we're a battle tested team, the non-conference schedule has helped us"
---Sherels is back, is full speed, listed as No. 2 PR behind Bryant Allen
---Rallis - out for year, cracked fibula, will NOT need surgery
---found out about Orseske at 10 p.m. Friday night...Haudan came in and did a fine job...Orseske has mono, needs 21-days to recover
---Decker is 100%
---on Kafka (Big Ten record for a QB last year, 217 rush yds) "He presents problems", noted that they throw the ball a lot more this year compared to last, will line him up at WR as well, they've studied NW closely, and will be ready for those wrinkles
---when asked about Gray, said "We'll incorporate him into more things", and mentioned RB, in addition to QB & WR
---on Whaley: mentioned nothing about the rumored suspension (rumor from this board)...said it's turf toe and they "hopefully get him back before too long"
---on Wills: "He's like the rest of the O-line, doing some good things, and some plays he hasn't" done those good things
---on the failure of the run game vs. Cal., gave all the credit to the Golden Bears
---not worried about Brandon Green going back to Chicago this weekend...he's a very calm guy
---"We've got a good football team. We've obviously improved."

Decker:
--Said he felt terrible last year after the NW game (his tipped ball got returned for the game-winning int TD), and because of that "I have a lot to owe to my team for this game"

Simoni Lawrence:
--On Kafka's Big Ten record for a QB, 217 yds rushing last year: "That won't happen again." Said he took that personally.

Great news on Decker's ankle. And from what I have read, you might want to skip that thread with your name on it Doogie. :eek:

I'm really hoping the guys go into this match remembering what last year's loss did to them last year.

Great news on Decker's ankle. And from what I have read, you might want to skip that thread with your name on it Doogie. :eek:

I'm a big boy...the only thing that has ever bothered me is the personal shots, and I didn't see any of those...ripping my writing is fair game.

Should add: Kenny Watkins listed as No. 2 FS with Rallis now out.

OL personnel changes?

I'm guessing they give the current group one more week to prove something, but at that point don't we have to re-evaluate our OL? I don't necessarily think we have someone with more talent sitting on the bench, but I also think a change wouldn't hurt if this continues.

Dandy looked good on that play didn't he. I would have loved to see him run after that, he had a little room.

Does this mean that Alford beat out Stommes

This must mean that Alford has regained the LT spot if no mention of injury is made to Stommes.

It sounded like they were trying their best to keep stommes out of the game last week to complete the recovery. It'll be interesting to see what kind of action he sees saturday. He should be ready to go, so if sees few reps...

Gray at RB?

That sounds intriguing? Could that be the answer to open things up for the running game? He's a) big, b) fast, and c) capable of throwing the ball. He could Kafka NU this weekend!

Regardless, let's get this dude on the field somehow.

Doogie

Has Brew mentioned or been asked anything about Derrick Onwuachi? Figured he'd be back by now.

Yeah, that one was thrown right to him, fell right through his arms. At least he put himself in the position to catch it, I guess.

I especially love the comments made by Decker and Lawrence. I hope the both have huge games against NU. Go Gophers!

Has Brew mentioned or been asked anything about Derrick Onwuachi? Figured he'd be back by now.

Will ask about him next week for you...Youngblood sent me a note on Saturday (I texted him for a Sherels update, was in stands, so had no idea if he was to play or not), and said Sherels was out, as we found out, and that Onwuachi was OK to play.

Will ask about him next week for you...Youngblood sent me a note on Saturday (I texted him for a Sherels update, was in stands, so had no idea if he was to play or not), and said Sherels was out, as we found out, and that Onwuachi was OK to play.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Top Bottom