Brewster news conf. recap 9/15

Doogie

Reaction score
Health-wise, they are in good shape...Sherels is day-to-day...should play vs. Cal...Stommes is 100% so, reading between the lines, he's been demoted.

On Alford: "Dom has a done a real good job."

Awards: Off. MVP vs. AF -- Weber (completion record)
Def. MVP -- Triplett
Hard hit of week goes to Lee Campbell for a blow he put on the FB on a dive play
Spec. teams MVP -- Ellestad
Extra effort -- Kirksey
Teammate of week -- Theret
Scout team off. player of week -- McKelton (simulated AF's QB a lot and did it well)
def. player -- M. Garin

On Cal: "This is the stage we want to be on." Added that they deserve to be in the national championship conversation
Specifically mentioned that the Bears haven't turned the ball over yet and run the 3-4 defense...their play-action, because of J. Best, is super

On Triplett: "His development has been amazing....can't say I'm surprised."

Compared Cal to Ohio St. in terms of personnel and tendencies

On Hayo: "He's doing good. His chances will come."

Adam Weber talked also...said that Cal "will be our greatest test"...even though he's been in shotgun a lot, they are still running Fisch's offense...MN O-line has extreme challenge because Cal does a lot of different things, specifically said that their D-linemen will all stand up at times

Finally, caught up with Lee Campbell...gave enormous credit to the D-line for keeping guys off all the LBs..."This weekend we'll see what our D is made of."...wouldn't say that Best is the best RB he's faced (Greene, Beanie Wells), but is right up there...added that he would rather play Cal. than get what he termed a "sloppy W"..i.e. against a cupcake.

Doogie, reading into it more it seems like Stommes is back to starting this week? When he said "was", it seems to me he was talking about the practice(s) they've had recently? I only say that because when he was asked the question about Alford he basically said he was "a guy who could step in and do the job". I really thought Stommes could play well this year so I guess I'm hoping he is back in the lineup this week, did you get a different impression in how Brew said it from being there live? Thanks!!!

Q. Stommes and Sherels?

COACH BREWSTER: Obviously Matt [Stommes] was 100 percent. He was back and healthy and ready to go, and Marcus [Sherels] is still right now day to day. Hopefully we'll get him back for Cal. He's got the ankle sprain, but Stommes is 100 percent. Derrick Onwuachi is back to as close to 100 percent as a guy can be. So we're in good shape health wise going into this game.

Q. Dom has done a pretty good job. Does he kind of deserve to stay there?

COACH BREWSTER: Dom [Alford] has done a real good job, and that's obviously a plus to have a competition like we've got there, and another guy who can step in if there is another injury. Depth is a great thing, particularly when you play 12 straight weeks without a bye. And we're going to need all those guys as the season progresses.

I'm not sure we can make that assumption that easily doogs. He's still pretty new at the position and wasn't able to practice all week, I can see where the coaches thought it was better that he be on the sidelines for AF. I'm not sure that equates to a demotion. It may be true, as the move was a bit ambitious. He may need more seasoning and need to play second fiddle for awhile.

I would think Alford will start, simply because he's seen the most recent action, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stommes get in the game, and if he does well, get plenty of playing time.

Schnoodler -- He's listed on the 2nd team on the depth chart for the week, despite being 100-percent...he earned the starting gig through all those April and August practices, gets hurt in the 1st half at Syracuse, and loses his job? If he's 100-percent, that to me signals a demotion...and for the record, I am a Stommes guy...think he is the better option.

God, I hope we have Sherels back this week. Collado was fine against AF, but we need Sherels against Cal.

Schnoodler -- He's listed on the 2nd team on the depth chart for the week, despite being 100-percent...he earned the starting gig through all those April and August practices, gets hurt in the 1st half at Syracuse, and loses his job? If he's 100-percent, that to me signals a demotion...and for the record, I am a Stommes guy...think he is the better option.

Yeah, I saw that. good call doogs.

Top Bottom