Brewster - How long?

station19

Reaction score
Not interested in who thinks Brewster SHOULD be fired. There's been plenty of posts on that subject.

Would like to hear thoughts on how long Brewster will be the Gopher Coach.

Probably through the end of next season.

Agreed. And it should be publically stated by Maturi that in 2010 Brewster needs to:

A.Beat at least one rivalry school. And that glorified bowling trophy we play PSU for doesn't count
B.Finish 4-4 or better in the BT
C.Get invited to a bowl game of at least the Alamo bowl in caliber (or whatever bowl the BT is tied in with next year that's equivalent).

If Brewster doesn't go 3 fer 3 on those things, its time to clean out your desk. And Maturi needs to start doing the legwork now to start identifying a replacement. Its stupefying to me that in late 2006 Mason was on double secret probation, and it was only a 52 yard FG by the TT kicker that got our new coaching search in motion. Maturi will need to pull a hiring of the Tubby level out of his azz.

2010 is key for him. If there isn't improvement, my guess is he'll be gone.

As for Mason, whose name keeps popping up, I think the Texas Tech game was the last nail in the coffin, but the lion's share of that coffin was built with games like the 10-9 win over NDSU. My guess is Mason would have only lasted one more year anyway, as the team that would have took the field in 2007 under him would have probably been a 4-8 team (maybe 5-7 at best).

In fairness, yesterday's game should count for more in judging Brewster than getting manhandled by Ohio State. This is a team we should have pounded.

I can't see him staying for more than one more year, if that. If we get blown out again by IOWA, which is more than likely (did you see their freshman QB yesterday? wow! I long for the day when we can compete like they did yesterday) who knows what will happen. This team is going backwards right now, just like our usual November slide!

Next year will be his last year at this program. With the new stadium on campus, I find no problem at all for the AD being able to hire an actual "coach" for this program who knows how to prepare a team for games on Saturdays.

Agreed. And it should be publically stated by Maturi that in 2010 Brewster needs to:

A.Beat at least one rivalry school. And that glorified bowling trophy we play PSU for doesn't count
C.Get invited to a bowl game of at least the Alamo bowl in caliber (or whatever bowl the BT is tied in with next year that's equivalent).

If Brewster doesn't go 3 fer 3 on those things, its time to clean out your desk. And Maturi needs to start doing the legwork now to start identifying a replacement. Its stupefying to me that in late 2006 Mason was on double secret probation, and it was only a 52 yard FG by the TT kicker that got our new coaching search in motion. Maturi will need to pull a hiring of the Tubby level out of his azz.

For a team that is still developing depth like Minny, I'm not too big on "needs to" since injuries play a big part in the W/L results.

That said: one more year firm...then take a hard look at the program in its entirety.

oh wow, settle down, gophers are exactly were I thought they would be 6-6 or 7-5,

yes, there are problems, and yes, they haven't lived up to Brewster's Rose Bowl hype, but give the guy a chance, his first recruiting case aren't even juniors yet--

I mean if we were 1-10 i might be with you, but we have seen progress--

we were in every game this year except Penn St (and the Ohio St game for the first half)

and i think this program needs some coaching stability--let have the same coaches for like 3 years--I think there actually could be some more dramatic wins

A 2007 Mason team would not have been 5-7 or 4-8.

As for Mason, whose name keeps popping up, I think the Texas Tech game was the last nail in the coffin, but the lion's share of that coffin was built with games like the 10-9 win over NDSU. My guess is Mason would have only lasted one more year anyway, as the team that would have took the field in 2007 under him would have probably been a 4-8 team (maybe 5-7 at best).

Mason had a decent base on the O line, especially at LT and LG, and his younger linemen always got better. Mason would not have squandered that talent as Brewster did. Amir Pinnix, Decker, and Wheelright would have had a big years.
Weber would have been good in that offense.

2007 Under Mason, the team would have won 6,7, or 8 games, without question. 9 if things went their way. The system would have taken pressure off the defense. The running game would have been much more settled than it was for the first 2/3 of 2006.

Wins: Bowling Green, Miami OH, FAU, NDSU, Indiana,

Possible Wins: Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois

likely losses: Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State

DATE OPPONENT W/L SCORE ATTEND Unde
------------ ------------------------ --- ----- ------
Sep. 1, 2007 BOWLING GREEN LOT 31-32 49253

Sep. 8, 2007 MIAMI (OHIO) W OT 41-35 45383
Sep 15, 2007 at Florida Atlantic L 39-42 1075

*Sep 22, 2007 PURDUE L 31-45 47483
*Sep 29, 2007 #8 OHIO STATE L 7-30 51611
*Oct 06, 2007 at Indiana L 20-40 32009
*Oct 13, 2007 at Northwestern LOT 48-49 23314
Oct 20, 2007 NORTH DAKOTA STATE L 21-27 63088
*Oct 27, 2007 at #19 Michigan L 10-34 109432
*Nov 03, 2007 ILLINOIS L 17-44 46604
*Nov 10, 2007 at Iowa L 16-21 70585
*Nov 17, 2007 #24 WISCONSIN L 34-41 59116

There's no way he's gone before next season.

My best guess: the team shows some improvement next season due to the increase in talent. Brew is given a 4 year extension. After two years, the team drops off, on-the-field coaching isn't up to snuff. Brew 'leaves' after the 2012 season to take a job under Mack Brown with the Redskins.

I think he'll be fired at the end of this season barring a win over Iowa or a bowl win, neither of which seem likely.

I think he'll be fired at the end of this season barring a win over Iowa or a bowl win, neither of which seem likely.

There's virtually no chance of that happening, barring scandal or some big-name coach expressing interest in the job. Sorry...this isn't the Brew supporter talking, it's just the way it is.

Twelve years. They simplify the offensive scheme next year and Gray beats out Weber in an open spring training. Team goes 9-3 beats two trophy opponents and Brewster gets a 5 year extension.

Twelve years. They simplify the offensive scheme next year and Gray beats out Weber in an open spring training. Team goes 9-3 beats two trophy opponents and Brewster gets a 5 year extension.

I have been thinking what you wrote. Next spring practice is all we will hear is about how Fisch has simplified the offense and everyone is happy.

I have been thinking what you wrote. Next spring practice is all we will hear is about how Fisch has simplified the offense and everyone is happy.

Every year we hear about how the offense/defense is simplified to allow players to "react not think". It's BS every year and it will be BS again this offseason.

If he can some how land Henderson and keep Huff a long time

If Brewster somehow figures out a way to Keep OL Henderson here and hopefully maintain the commitment of Josh Huff the RB from Texas then I will say he will be here a lot longer, 4-5 more years at least. Those two players are game changers from day one you don't have to be smart about football to know that. We need to mix in a few more upper echelon guy's and then we can start talking contract extension. This is what Brewster was brought here to do, bring in some big shots, elite talented players, he needs his coaches to get on the same page coach them up and start winning some games we are not favored in. I have not totally bailed on the Brew yet, but he needs to do what he was brought here to do, find better players and then let the coaches that know what there doing turn them loose.

If he beats Iowa (a huge IF) he gets a one or two year extension. If not, probably the length of the contract - hence two more years. But if next year is a disaster, maybe only next year.

I think the real conundrum for the administration is this: The only real coaching knack that Brew has shown so far is recruiting. However, it will be tough for Brew to recruit without an extension. However, he's done nothing at this point to warrent an extension. IIRC, next year is the last of his contract (perhaps he has two more, I could be wrong). It would be foolish for the U at this point to extend Brew after this season, and barring a top tier finish in the Big 10 next year, a long term extension would not be warranted either at that time either. The last this program needs is to be paying another out of work coach.

Let's look at Brew's strengths: Right now, the best that can be said is that his recruitment is an improvement over the previous regime. That might be it. Maybe throw in that Brew has done a prettty good diplomatic job with the in-state highschool programs although I can't speak to the current state of those relationships. At one point, one could point to the buzz the Brewster had created for the program. I don't think the same can be said anymore. At this point, there is just as much negative vibe about the program, if not more, than the positive.

Let's look at the weaknesses. Although Brew has improved recruiting, he's done so at the risk of academic integrity. He has taken at risk recruits, has failed to improve the academic standing of this team, without any improvement of the on field performance. His teams lack discipline, both on and off the field. He hasn't shown adminstrative leadership and judgment (see the revolving door of coordinators). There is no team "identity" (save lack of discipline). Although there is much talk of how bare the cupboard was when he took over, his supposedly superior recruits still sit on the bench in deference to Mase recruits. With a plethora of returning starters, he was unable to deliver an upper division finish in a very mediocre Big 10. His teams haven't even been competitive, as many posters assert. They were whipped by Wiscy, OSU, PSU and even Illinois. They spotted a mediocre Cal team 14 and managed to make a game of it thanks to the heroics of one player (Decker). They squeaked by a bad Syracuse team. They have yet to win a trinket game or a game against a I-A team in November. He has gotten into sophomoric, undignified pi$$ing matches with the local media. Perhaps most egregious is that there are many, many empty seats at the much celebrated brand new, undersized stadium (there really is no buzz around the team or stadium).

I think the last sentence, more than anything, might be the tipping point if Maturi gives coach the hook. The administration ought to shutter at the thought of 10,000 Hawkeye fans at TCF next fall, which, given recent events, could be a real possibility. A bad loss to Iowa next week and Maturi gives him the hook.

Mason had a decent base on the O line, especially at LT and LG, and his younger linemen always got better. Mason would not have squandered that talent as Brewster did. Amir Pinnix, Decker, and Wheelright would have had a big years.
Weber would have been good in that offense.

2007 Under Mason, the team would have won 6,7, or 8 games, without question. 9 if things went their way. The system would have taken pressure off the defense. The running game would have been much more settled than it was for the first 2/3 of 2006.

Wins: Bowling Green, Miami OH, FAU, NDSU, Indiana,

Possible Wins: Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois

likely losses: Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State

DATE OPPONENT W/L SCORE ATTEND Unde
------------ ------------------------ --- ----- ------
Sep. 1, 2007 BOWLING GREEN LOT 31-32 49253

Sep. 8, 2007 MIAMI (OHIO) W OT 41-35 45383
Sep 15, 2007 at Florida Atlantic L 39-42 1075

*Sep 22, 2007 PURDUE L 31-45 47483
*Sep 29, 2007 #8 OHIO STATE L 7-30 51611
*Oct 06, 2007 at Indiana L 20-40 32009
*Oct 13, 2007 at Northwestern LOT 48-49 23314
Oct 20, 2007 NORTH DAKOTA STATE L 21-27 63088
*Oct 27, 2007 at #19 Michigan L 10-34 109432
*Nov 03, 2007 ILLINOIS L 17-44 46604
*Nov 10, 2007 at Iowa L 16-21 70585
*Nov 17, 2007 #24 WISCONSIN L 34-41 59116

I guess I'm arguing with the resident Mason scholar, but I think it was highly unlikely that the 2007 team is a .500 or better team with a resurrected Bear Bryant as the coach.

Pinnix got hurt, so unless Mason is a faith healer, the RB situation would have been exactly the same as it was under Brewster.

How can you say Weber would have flourished? He probably wouldn't have started as Mortenson would have likely been the QB. Either way, neither had appreciable experience and the team would have likely been facing the dreaded "8 men in the box" and with little experience at TE with Spaeth gone, I don't know where the slack gets picked up with the passing game.

I agree that we probably wipe up the non-conference schedule (except for NDSU) with Mason still at the helm, but you have us possibly beating the 6-2 Rose Bowl-bound Illini. Well, I can grant you argruability on some of your points, but certainly not that one. We don't touch Wisconsin and I doubt we beat Purdue. Mason had only beaten NDSU by one point the year before and I don't see how that game would have been any easier after they mopped the field with a better Gopher team the year before.

So even if I give you Indiana and Northwestern, it's still a 5-7 team and beating NDSU would get it to .500. But that's as far as I will bend for you and bending that far is difficult.

At any rate, Mason's gone. His program had peaked. His recruiting was getting worse instead of better and we were headed toward Indiana territory the longer he stuck around. I'd just as soon agree to disagree as I can tell you're a real Mason guy (and I will grant you that Brewster may have been the wrong hire to replace him), but the program was as good as it was going to get under Mason.

I think 3 more years to see how his guys pan out...but next year if trends continue he might be gone alot faster.

I think the real conundrum for the administration is this: The only real coaching knack that Brew has shown so far is recruiting. However, it will be tough for Brew to recruit without an extension. However, he's done nothing at this point to warrent an extension. IIRC, next year is the last of his contract (perhaps he has two more, I could be wrong). It would be foolish for the U at this point to extend Brew after this season, and barring a top tier finish in the Big 10 next year, a long term extension would not be warranted either at that time either. The last this program needs is to be paying another out of work coach.

Let's look at Brew's strengths: Right now, the best that can be said is that his recruitment is an improvement over the previous regime. That might be it. Maybe throw in that Brew has done a prettty good diplomatic job with the in-state highschool programs although I can't speak to the current state of those relationships. At one point, one could point to the buzz the Brewster had created for the program. I don't think the same can be said anymore. At this point, there is just as much negative vibe about the program, if not more, than the positive.

Let's look at the weaknesses. Although Brew has improved recruiting, he's done so at the risk of academic integrity. He has taken at risk recruits, has failed to improve the academic standing of this team, without any improvement of the on field performance. His teams lack discipline, both on and off the field. He hasn't shown adminstrative leadership and judgment (see the revolving door of coordinators). There is no team "identity" (save lack of discipline). Although there is much talk of how bare the cupboard was when he took over, his supposedly superior recruits still sit on the bench in deference to Mase recruits. With a plethora of returning starters, he was unable to deliver an upper division finish in a very mediocre Big 10. His teams haven't even been competitive, as many posters assert. They were whipped by Wiscy, OSU, PSU and even Illinois. They spotted a mediocre Cal team 14 and managed to make a game of it thanks to the heroics of one player (Decker). They squeaked by a bad Syracuse team. They have yet to win a trinket game or a game against a I-A team in November. He has gotten into sophomoric, undignified pi$$ing matches with the local media. Perhaps most egregious is that there are many, many empty seats at the much celebrated brand new, undersized stadium (there really is no buzz around the team or stadium).

I think the last sentence, more than anything, might be the tipping point if Maturi gives coach the hook. The administration ought to shutter at the thought of 10,000 Hawkeye fans at TCF next fall, which, given recent events, could be a real possibility. A bad loss to Iowa next week and Maturi gives him the hook.

wow, have you even watched any of the games? "whipped" by Wis, OSU, and Ill? No way. We were in every game. The first half we played great defense against OSU. Give Brewster a chance--

so are you brewster haters saying that after 3 years, when we have gone to two bowls games, primarily with Mase's recruits, you want to fire the coach that's main strength was recruiting? I think they could be very good next year.

Let him build something, its not like our situation is dire, we are just very inconsistent. Mich St was a big win and could be a huge sign of things to come. relax.

In your estimation is it possible to not thing Brewster is taking this program in the right direction without being a Brewster hater?

well, whether you think brew is "taking the program in the wrong direction" or you are a brew "hater"--its all semantics to me

you don't support him and want him to be fired--correct? to me its the same thing

he might have lost some of the fans, but I can tell you from what I have seen, he hasn't lost the locker room, those kids love Brew--and they need to believe that they are going in the right direction--and I think they do

i predicted the gophs would go 7-5 and they still have a chance at that--it hasn't been that bad of a season--not great but I am far from calling for his head--give him a chance

Brewster has lost more than some of the fans.

he might have lost some of the fans, but I can tell you from what I have seen, he hasn't lost the locker room, those kids love Brew--

The wretched on the field results combined with the BS talk have turned off the public. The momentum of a new stadium has been lost after one year. Watching the offense the last three years was like a three year root canal.

The skepticism or worse yet all out apathy will be increase to even higher levels by about mid afternoon next Saturday.

The stadium will not be sold out next year, and Panthhawk will be proven correct.

In fact all the empty seats this year gave Pantherhawk valid ammunition. How were there more students in the seats in 2003 through 2006 than this year???????

How could the U of M conspire with the City of Minneapolis and make it hard and expensive to park at tailgate at any place but the overpriced U lots. Armies of security shaking down old ladies and students. They screwed over the small businesses in the area and screwed over the fans.

I'd give the whole year one experience a big D plus.

he might have lost some of the fans, but I can tell you from what I have seen, he hasn't lost the locker room, those kids love Brew--

The wretched on field results combined with the BS talk have turned off the public. The momentum of a new stadium has been lost after one year.

It will be worse by about mid afternoon next Saturday.

The stadium will not be sold out next year, and Panthhawk will be proven correct.

In fact all the empty seats gave Pantherhawk valid ammunition. How were there more students in the seats in 2003 through 2006 than this year???????

and you really think that is all brew's fault? the gopher football culture wasn't going to change overnight--i believe it will, but have some patience

oh no, pantherhawk will be correct! oh scary! oh sad!...who gives a sh*t? I could care less whether some sad prepubescent boy in the middle of nowhere iowa is right about our football program

i honestly changing coaches can be very harmful to a program--lets have some coaching stability for a while

I think some of you are more loyal to Brewster than the program. That is a big problem. :|

It's too early to fire him, he still has time but so far the results are not translating to the field and there are more negative indicators than positive.

Some of the posters here nail the unfortunate conundrum right on the head. Brewster's strength apparently is recruiting - I say apparently only because the Mason "dregs" have filled the field through this year rather than the much ballyhooed recruits. If I'm an opposing coach sitting in a kid's living room next year and I know he's considering the Minnesota, I'm using Brewster's contract status to plant a seed of doubt in the kid's mind. If the Gophs go 0-2 against Iowa and whomever they play in a bowl, it could be bad news for Brewster. He has done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that he is the right guy to coach the program to the next level (like others in the GH have said, all the talent in the world doesn't mean a thing if you can't figure out how to best utilize that talent). If he gets an extension at this point, even if it's just for 2 years, fan apathy could really take hold over the off season. Maturi's sense of self-preservation has to be working overtime here. Brewster's his guy and I'm sure he wants to stand by him. Unfortunately for Maturi (and all true Gopher fans), Brewster has not given him anything concrete to stand on with regards to his contract. Early recruiting will suffer next year without an extension. Extend his contract now and risk losing game day revenue for some time to come unless the team beats USC (wins in the rest of the non-con games won't do anything to generate excitement). Heck of a pickle...

What if he does A, B, and C in 2009? Do you give him an extension then? IF the Gophers pull the upset in Iowa City then he will have accomplished all 3 of your points.

Brewster deserves to at least have an entire teams of his recruits and as bad as yesterday felt I think we are still headed in the right direction. What we need is coaching stability HC, OC, and DC. I think his big year will be on 2011. Heck Mason had 10 years, never finished better than 4th on the Big10 and only finished above .500 in the Big10 once even with experience as a HC. Looking back Wacker had 5 and Gutekunst had 6 so I don't see Brewster getting anything less than 5.

In my opinion I think he will be our HC when we play Texas, unless he completely regresses in the next 2 years to 3 or 4 win seasons.

(BTW - I think a win over PSU should count for your point "A" above. While it is not one of the long standing trophies it is still a win against PSU)

Next year should be the year. 7-8 wins, including one over either Iowa or Wisconsin. If not then we need to assess where the program is and maybe make a change.

Top Bottom