Brewster Extension

gophermartin

Reaction score
Many have said...Brewster will be here at least 2 more years. I agree. However, I want what is best for the program and that means Maturi and Pres B need to extend Brewster after this season. I believe that his recruiting will start to suffer on signing day in Feb if they don't extend him at least 2 seasons. Some schools just have an automatic 1 year ext each year.

I know there are people who would complain about an increased buyout and just want the guy fired. There has to be a way to extend him without increasing the buyout...if Maturi can't stomach the $$ he might need to fire Brewster.

I too want to see more before I believe he will get us past recent seasons (last 20 years) of mediocre to bad football. But not extending him...makes him look to recruits and other coaches as a lame duck coach. Hurting recruiting hurts the program long term...even if they do fire him in 2, 3 years. Those poorer classes will become seniors at some point and our team will be worse than it should have been.

I want Brewster to succeed in the worst way...I love how he promotes the school, Mpls, Minnesota as a whole. He loves on the old players and tradition of the school like I have never seen (mid 30's here).

I see more talent on the field...I know that hasn't translated into huge #s of wins...(I believe you need to add) yet. I think he will win bigger here than he is this year and last.

At this point I'm sure as heck glad we have Brewster over Rich Rod, Steve Krag, etc.

Thoughts? Sorry that rambled a bit.

Beat the Jacks and the Hawks!!

GM

Michigan is experiencing a tough transition, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many outside this fanbase that would rather have Brewster than Rodriguez.

Michigan is experiencing a tough transition, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many outside this fanbase that would rather have Brewster than Rodriguez.

An apples and oranges situation:

Brewster was an unproven HC hiring experiment...no one knows whether he will prove a hiring success or hiring mistake.

Rodriguez was a proven HC hiring success...no one knows whether he will prove a hiring mistake.

An apples and oranges situation:

Brewster was an unproven HC hiring experiment...no one knows whether he will prove a hiring success or hiring mistake.

Rodriguez was a proven HC hiring success...no one knows whether he will prove a hiring mistake.
I was simply responding to his assertion that he'd much rather have Brewster than Rodriguez. I think it's a fair statement to say that few outside of this board would agree with that assessment. The self-evident reality that we don't know how their tenures will unfold doesn't make that any less true.

I was simply responding to his assertion that he'd much rather have Brewster than Rodriguez. I think it's a fair statement to say that few outside of this board would agree with that assessment. The self-evident reality that we don't know how their tenures will unfold doesn't make that any less true.

Agreed.

Many have said...Brewster will be here at least 2 more years. I agree. However, I want what is best for the program and that means Maturi and Pres B need to extend Brewster after this season. I believe that his recruiting will start to suffer on signing day in Feb if they don't extend him at least 2 seasons. Some schools just have an automatic 1 year ext each year.

I know there are people who would complain about an increased buyout and just want the guy fired. There has to be a way to extend him without increasing the buyout...if Maturi can't stomach the $$ he might need to fire Brewster.

I too want to see more before I believe he will get us past recent seasons (last 20 years) of mediocre to bad football. But not extending him...makes him look to recruits and other coaches as a lame duck coach. Hurting recruiting hurts the program long term...even if they do fire him in 2, 3 years. Those poorer classes will become seniors at some point and our team will be worse than it should have been.

I want Brewster to succeed in the worst way...I love how he promotes the school, Mpls, Minnesota as a whole. He loves on the old players and tradition of the school like I have never seen (mid 30's here).

I see more talent on the field...I know that hasn't translated into huge #s of wins...(I believe you need to add) yet. I think he will win bigger here than he is this year and last.

At this point I'm sure as heck glad we have Brewster over Rich Rod, Steve Krag, etc.

Thoughts? Sorry that rambled a bit.

Beat the Jacks and the Hawks!!

GM

Why would you extend him. Let him prove that he can do what he was hired to do. If lack of extension means he can't recruit find someone who can. I am not saying get rid of him but you would be crazy to extend his contract now.

I support the idea of retaining Brewster for at least 4 if not 5 years (rather than firing him), but I don't think his contract should be extended anytime soon unless (maybe he wins out and then beats a decent bowl opponent.

I don't think a lack of a contract extension would affect this year's recruiting class (as they have already verballed without an extension in place). Then if I were Maturi, I'd peg the end of September as my target to extend (or not). We'll have played Middle Tennesee on the road and South Dakota, Northern Illinois and USC at home. If we're 3-1 (or 4-0 :D) at that point, I'd extend - otherwise I think Brewster would be coaching for an extension from week to week at that point. The early recruits usually have a vested interest in choosing their school (dad went there, only real offer, etc). Most recruits, however, haven't made their decision at the end of September, so this plan should balance the need to give recruits comfort in the future and the program's needs to have the best coach possible.

How many phone calls has Brewster received from other schools so far?

I support the idea of retaining Brewster for at least 4 if not 5 years (rather than firing him), but I don't think his contract should be extended anytime soon unless (maybe he wins out and then beats a decent bowl opponent.
I don't think a lack of a contract extension would affect this year's recruiting class (as they have already verballed without an extension in place). Then if I were Maturi, I'd peg the end of September as my target to extend (or not). We'll have played Middle Tennesee on the road and South Dakota, Northern Illinois and USC at home. If we're 3-1 (or 4-0 :D) at that point, I'd extend - otherwise I think Brewster would be coaching for an extension from week to week at that point. The early recruits usually have a vested interest in choosing their school (dad went there, only real offer, etc). Most recruits, however, haven't made their decision at the end of September, so this plan should balance the need to give recruits comfort in the future and the program's needs to have the best coach possible.

And the wheels don't fall off the program due to academic or off field issues.

The players must demonstrate that they will be good citizens. And Maturi will also be most interested in the next round of APR scores. Losing additional scholarships will not bode well for Brewster's tenure and elevating the results must be expected.

How many phone calls has Brewster received from other schools so far?

Dunno, I missed this week's press conference, where he usually details all the other jobs he could have if he wanted to leave Minnesota.

The real question is, if the phone rings, will he answer it.

How long before people will start judging Brewster based upon what actually matters . . . wins and losses?

Top Bottom