Brewster: "Am I pleased?"

Reaction score
Per Youngblood:

"We had some good offensive football games this year, and we had some poor output," Brewster said. "Am I pleased? No, I'm not. We're going to continue to work to get better and do the things you do to get better offensively. ... I promise you this much: When you have a group of kids that fights the way our kids fight, and work? They're going to get better. They're going to improve."

A new Brew attitude?

Well...

...he said the same thing after SDSU.

A number of people on here are all bent out of shape or other comments (I haven't seen them)....but he has been consistent that I've seen.

He isn't happy. He isn't going to throw he team under the bus. If he did...then i would be worried. he isn't going to throw his OL under the bus..."we'll go with the horses we've got". And they did improve in ways....2nd and goal from the 2...just isn't one of the ways yet.

He is all about working to get better...and recruiting to get better. I love him for it.....I do hope that in the next 2 years...he can improve from where Mason was...which the team certainly has signs of being able to do that.

Maturi should be fired instantly if he cans Brewster this soon. Doing so would sabotage any chance of a very good coach from coming here....every coach is going to want 5 years to show what he can do.

One other point....this board is blowing up over horrid O play (I dont like it either!!). I don't remember the same level of angst over our D being equally bad under Mason. "we" fell in love with his OL and RB. Where is the same love for the D and ST when they have some equal glimpses of the same success....just on the other side of the ball???

- We saw the team click on most (not nearly all) cylinders against MSU...and they won the game.
- We saw the D hang in tough against PSU...20-0. Did anyone think that Joe Pa wouldn't have just loved to hang 42 on the Gophers like they did against MSU this weekend?
- Beat a good NW on the road.

I've seen a LOT of bad football since 1984....and I have enough perspective to let Brewster sink or swim with the coaches he has got (Davis and Fisch) and players that deserve 2 more years to develop. He has certainly proven that his ST and now D can be coached and improved. I'm willing to give him some slack on getting the O for now.

GM

A number of people on here are all bent out of shape or other comments (I haven't seen them)....but he has been consistent that I've seen.

He isn't happy. He isn't going to throw he team under the bus. If he did...then i would be worried. he isn't going to throw his OL under the bus..."we'll go with the horses we've got". And they did improve in ways....2nd and goal from the 2...just isn't one of the ways yet.

He is all about working to get better...and recruiting to get better. I love him for it.....I do hope that in the next 2 years...he can improve from where Mason was...which the team certainly has signs of being able to do that.

Maturi should be fired instantly if he cans Brewster this soon. Doing so would sabotage any chance of a very good coach from coming here....every coach is going to want 5 years to show what he can do.

One other point....this board is blowing up over horrid O play (I dont like it either!!). I don't remember the same level of angst over our D being equally bad under Mason. "we" fell in love with his OL and RB. Where is the same love for the D and ST when they have some equal glimpses of the same success....just on the other side of the ball???

- We saw the team click on most (not nearly all) cylinders against MSU...and they won the game.
- We saw the D hang in tough against PSU...20-0. Did anyone think that Joe Pa wouldn't have just loved to hang 42 on the Gophers like they did against MSU this weekend?

I've seen a LOT of bad football since 1984....and I have enough perspective to let Brewster sink or swim with the coaches he has got (Davis and Fisch) and players that deserve 2 more years to develop. He has certainly proven that his ST and now D can be coached and improved. I'm willing to give him some slack on getting the O for now.

GM

So much for the relentless Holer complaint that Brew & Co can't coach or develop players in any aspect of the game.

gophermartin;137349 I've seen a LOT of bad football since 1984....and I have enough perspective to let Brewster sink or swim with the coaches he has got (Davis and Fisch) and players that deserve 2 more years to develop. He has certainly proven that his ST and now D can be coached and improved. I'm willing to give him some slack on getting the O for now. GM[/QUOTE said:
I don't agree with everything you said, but this rings so true with me. My Gopher fandom goes back even further and outside of the one year Lou Holtz (Darn it! I cursed again), we haven't seen a lot of good football since the days of Murray Warmath and Cal Stoll.

I'm all for giving Brewster (and Davis and Fisch by extension) another year to smooth things out. I think Fisch has to throttle things back a bit. I thought he threw way too much stuff at the kids this year and channeled the Don Coryell (who is still alive!!!!) too often with the deep down-the-field stuff the past few weeks.

Stats don't show it, but I thought the defense played much better this season.

50#head - just curious....what didn't you agree with? No flaming...just wanting to have a decent discussion.

I think you might be right on Fisch...a case of (DC that went to NC...can't think of the name...doh!) too much complicated stuff. Now I'm not sure how you coach out of a guy short hopping the throws...as weber has done lately. I know you can try to coach it out of a QB...but sometimes it just doesnt happen with a particular player.

GM

Special teams got worse as the season progressed.

The defense under Brewster is not as good as the offense was under Mason. It's not even close.

x's and o's are important. But sustaining a drive is an art. I don't think you step in at this high a level never having called plays in your life and succeed out of the chute. It's why I was unhappy with the hire. The whole year was just a hodgpodge of nonsensical play calling, you could tell it was 90% read and 10% situational. Constanly being drawn into the option with the lowest potential for success. Art of War stuff except we were the dupes everytime. But that doesn't mean fisch can't learn and grow. He's supposedly a whiz kid. I'm nervous because not during the entire course of the year did we develop any component to this offense we could grow off of. What exactly do you build around? Fisch was in way over his head.

Maturi should have never allowed having a HC who was never a coordinator overseeing a OC who was never a coordinator. Way too much reinventing the wheel going on I'm sure. I really don't know how you fix this as quicly as it needs to be fixed.

Special teams got worse as the season progressed.

They looked lousy against Illinois (very bad timing) and didn't look good against SDSU but they looked pretty good Saturday. Longest punt return of the season wasn't it?

Not yet....it just year 3....that is where he wants us to get to.

On ST....the coaches tried something different and backfired on coverage. lesson learned there.

GM

+1

---because the offense is the phase of the game where you generally score your points?! You could lose all your games 2-0 and still be, in reality, a really bad football team, despite being great defensively.

They looked lousy against Illinois (very bad timing) and didn't look good against SDSU but they looked pretty good Saturday. Longest punt return of the season wasn't it?

Two Stoudermire returns - average of 19 - came in averaging over 25.
Haudan with punts of 16 and 27 yards

On the season Minnesota is 106th in the country in kick return coverage.

whenever I've listened to an entire Brewster show, I always hear alot of candid frank talk about the program, but yet I only ever hear or see these canned overly positive quotes in the press. It's too bad. It's like they want to paint him in only one light because it makes him an easy target for their crap spewing. Saves them all the trouble of that pesky thoughtfull analysis stuff. I really wish we had better media in this town.

Gophermartin, I think you mean Evertt Withers. I agree 100%. I think he learned that what was easy for him, also a supposed def whiz, was too complicated for college. Hopefully our Off. whiz can figure that out. Whithers sure turned the UNC defense around.

The defense under Brewster is not as good as the offense was under Mason. It's not even close.

can we please stop comparing brewster to mason? mason was here for ten years, brewster has been here for a little over two. it is impossible to make a valid comparison between the two when the sample sizes are so different. maybe the defense under brewster isn't as good as the offense under mason, but how are your going to possibly going to make that comparison? and if you could make the comparison, it doesn't stop next year's defense from being even better than this year's or the year after that, and so on.

brewster has had a tough learning curve, but the fact that he went from 1-11 to 7-5 to 6-6 (in a year when the school of though had the gophers improving with a similar record and tougher schedule) gives no one enough ammunition to conclude that mason was a better coach than brewster.

can we please stop comparing brewster to mason? mason was here for ten years, brewster has been here for a little over two. it is impossible to make a valid comparison between the two when the sample sizes are so different. maybe the defense under brewster isn't as good as the offense under mason, but how are your going to possibly going to make that comparison? and if you could make the comparison, it doesn't stop next year's defense from being even better than this year's or the year after that, and so on.

brewster has had a tough learning curve, but the fact that he went from 1-11 to 7-5 to 6-6 (in a year when the school of though had the gophers improving with a similar record and tougher schedule) gives no one enough ammunition to conclude that mason was a better coach than brewster.

Mason did have Top 10 In The Country Caliber Offenses.......

Our Defense at the moment is not even Top 50...much improved...but the entire Mason's O Vs. Brewster's D is pointless at this point.......

Check the record....

Mason did have Top 10 In The Country Caliber Offenses.......

Our Defense at the moment is not even Top 50...much improved...but the entire Mason's O Vs. Brewster's D is pointless at this point.......

Not in year 2/3 he didn't

Top Bottom