Brew won't play Gray

Weber is gonna cost Brew his job & if it does happen then Brew can only blame himself.......

Somebody please explain this to me???

Somebody please explain this to me???

There is no explanation. There is no way Gray could be worse. He has a couple nice runs in the first quarter and then nothing in the second. It almost seems that when Weber throws an INT the coaches back him more and play Gray less.

mkAz, I too would like an answer to the question. We had Gray in for a couple of plays and the ball moved. He hasn't been back in. The reporter that covers SDSU said something to the effect that their biggest worry was if we played Gray because SDSU can't cover a mobile QB. We've certainly avoided making them address that problem.

I wonder if there isn't some kind of a practice issue with Gray. Why in the name of Bronco Nagurski would they keep Weber in with this terrible performance? He's either not mobile enough to avoid any of the blitzes or his vision isn't good. IMHO he needs to be out of there.

I predict Gray will start the second half! But I'm keeping my wallet in my pocket.

No such luck. Praying did not work, perhaps one of our O line could step on Weber's throwing hand while he is down by "accident".;)

I'm just confused as to whether Brew looks at the stat sheet at the half. If we started Gray and even ran the entire time it's feasible we have at least one offensive td. There has to be more to this than Gray not knowing the playbook.

Weber is gonna cost Brew his job & if it does happen then Brew can only blame himself.......

I have been saying the same thing. I solemnly believe that Weber is going to be a coach killer and that is Brewster's own fault.

"There has to be more to this than Gray not knowing the playbook."

Does this mean that Weber actually knew the playbook today? Wow! that must be some book!

"There has to be more to this than Gray not knowing the playbook."

Does this mean that Weber actually knew the playbook today? Wow! that must be some book!

Weber does not know his head from his ass, he never thinks about throwing the ball away and then ends up on his ass for a sack

It just amazes me how much Weber has regressed. He was one of the best quarterbacks in the Big Ten last year and entered the year as one of if not the top returning starting QB in the conference. He might be the worst in the B10 now. I don't get it. I feel bad for him. I am officially off the Brewster bandwagon and it hurts me to say that. I'm not saying I want him fired, but I wouldn't be upset if he was.

It is unfortunate for Brew that Weber is such an admirable person. He is a very good leader and a stand-up guy. It would be extremely difficult for any coach to bench a kid like him. Unfortunately, Weber does not possess Big 10 quarterback skills and he is hurting the team big time.

How about playing Weber at TE or something and Gray at QB next year...could a coaching staff with such a vanilla playbook come up with something like that?

Disclaimer: I don't care who starts as long as we win.

Can someone give me a reason why Gray should play, other than Weber had been bad? And I agree ... Weber has been very bad, so if that's it, then fine. But does anyone have a connection in practice that says Gray lights it up, or you happen to live in his hometown and saw him in HS, or you have seen something other than what I've seen when he has played in games (fumble ... make some nice runs ... underthrow a couple of passes)?

I'd seriously like to hear an analysis of why this kid should play other than Weber's issues.

Disclaimer: I don't care who starts as long as we win.

Can someone give me a reason why Gray should play, other than Weber had been bad? And I agree ... Weber has been very bad, so if that's it, then fine. But does anyone have a connection in practice that says Gray lights it up, or you happen to live in his hometown and saw him in HS, or you have seen something other than what I've seen when he has played in games (fumble ... make some nice runs ... underthrow a couple of passes)?

I'd seriously like to hear an analysis of why this kid should play other than Weber's issues.

Weber is so horrible he can't be anything but better. That may sound strange but week in & week out Weber gets outplayed by 3rd String Backups (Ill), horrible QB's (SDSU), 1st Year QB's (NW) & even QB's who haven't played QB in 5 years (Syr)......

Anymore Questions?

Weber is so horrible he can't be anything but better. That may sound strange but week in & week out Weber gets outplayed by 3rd String Backups (Ill), horrible QB's (SDSU), 1st Year QB's (NW) & even QB's who haven't played QB in 5 years (Syr)......

Anymore Questions?

This

Anymore Questions?

You know, I was asking a reasonable question. You essentially told me there are no other options. Fine - save your smug comments.

It is unfortunate for Brew that Weber is such an admirable person. He is a very good leader and a stand-up guy. It would be extremely difficult for any coach to bench a kid like him. Unfortunately, Weber does not possess Big 10 quarterback skills and he is hurting the team big time.

I disagree with you there. Weber has shown he can be a Big 10 QB. Last year he led the conference in completion percentage, was 2nd in passing yards, and had one of the lower interception percentages. He has shown he can be a good QB, but this year he has been really bad for some reason. Is it coaching? The new offense? New throwing motion? We can speculate, but it's hard to know for sure.

You know, I was asking a reasonable question. You essentially told me there are no other options. Fine - save your smug comments.

If telling the truth is being smug then it is what it is.......

If you can't handle it then that's on you.......

I'm referring to you ending your post with "anymore questions" as if it was the dumbest question in the world, not your analysis which - as stated - I don't actually disagree with ...

Moving on ...

If telling the truth is being smug then it is what it is.......

If you can't handle it then that's on you.......

You didn't answer the question, Thai. "Weber is bad" isn't proof that Gray is better.

Jags, I've been wondering the same thing. Webers killing us (and I hate watching him struggle, because he does seem like a great kid) but I've yet to see any better out of Gray.
A lot of people will tell you he needs a full series or two to get into the flow of the game before you're actually seeing what he can do. And that's a valid point. But on a play-by-play basis, I haven't seen it out of Gray yet, and from what I understand of the read option they're running with him, his decision-making is still suspect, imho.

You didn't answer the question, Thai. "Weber is bad" isn't proof that Gray is better.

Jags, I've been wondering the same thing. Webers killing us (and I hate watching him struggle, because he does seem like a great kid) but I've yet to see any better out of Gray.
A lot of people will tell you he needs a full series or two to get into the flow of the game before you're actually seeing what he can do. And that's a valid point. But on a play-by-play basis, I haven't seen it out of Gray yet, and from what I understand of the read option they're running with him, his decision-making is still suspect, imho.

The point is, Weber has made bad decision after bad decision. He scored more points today for South Dakota than he did for us. He has played poorly pretty much all year for that matter. Many Gopher fans are being turned away becuase of Brewsters inability to make a change. We have to sit through entire games watching our offense struggle against poor teams when we have an up and coming QB on the bench. I would be satisfied if Brewster at least gave Grey a little more playing time. I see the kid standing right next to Brew on the sideline all game, biting at the chance to get in. He sees little action, and is rarely allowed to throw the ball. Could his accuracy or decision making really be that much worse than Weber's? I can't see how that could be.

Anyone that says Weber has not been an anchor tied to this teams feet is in denial.

Weber isn't bad...he's garbage...and Gray looks waaaaaaaay better then Weber when he's in there & his 1 series against OSU proved it. Regardless of playing against the 2nd team defense it was how he reacted as a QB & his composure during plays that make him better then Weber. Weber is horrendous, if you think Gray could be worse then I feel sorry for you.......

The point is, Weber has made bad decision after bad decision. He scored more points today for South Dakota than he did for us. He has played poorly pretty much all year for that matter. Many Gopher fans are being turned away becuase of Brewsters inability to make a change. We have to sit through entire games watching our offense struggle against poor teams when we have an up and coming QB on the bench. I would be satisfied if Brewster at least gave Grey a little more playing time. I see the kid standing right next to Brew on the sideline all game, biting at the chance to get in. He sees little action, and is rarely allowed to throw the ball. Could his accuracy or decision making really be that much worse than Weber's? I can't see how that could be.

Anyone that says Weber has not been an anchor tied to this teams feet is in denial.

Not that it matters, after last week and today, I pretty much agree. I spent the first half of the season defending the decision to play Weber over Grey, mostly on the basis that we fans don't know what's going on in practice. Now I can't believe that Grey wouldn't do better no matter how he looks in practice.

He seems like a good guy, but Weber again today was painful to watch. Under pressure he usually either froze or panicked. There was his throw that went the other way for a TD for the second week in a row. He did have Tow-Arnett and McKnight both open in the end zone and missed them both badly with unbelievable poor mechanics. The absolute last straw for me was the play before the winning field goal. He threw it into the corner of the end zone where there was one Gopher covered by two Jackrabbits. (Geez, that last sentence looks strange) Can you imagine the fans if that throw had been picked off? You just shouldn't ever make that throw in that situation. That has nothing to do with line play, dropped passes, lack of running game, etc. That's poise and decision making.

I hope they put in a package that Grey can handle next week and just go with it from the beginning. It can't get any worse. Sometimes we Gopher fans have hope for the flimsiest reasons. The, "It can't get any worse," is a lot like hope on the basketball forum about Royce White. "He couldn't have stolen a laptop because he can't be that stupid."

Einstein once said that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity. Weber = bye-bye Brewster. Time for Gray or a new coach.

Reposting from another thread:

I am not a Weber hater, but I do not understand the stubborness the coaching staff is showing by continuing to run him out there. Do folks recall when Gray fumbled against Air Force? He did not see the field again. Was it Wisconsin when Bennett fumbled on the first drive and did not see the field again?

Why isn't Weber held to the same standard? He is in the midst of an absolutely terrible season. Has the offensive line been terrible? I don't think they have been that bad pass-protecting, but I thought today was the worst they have pass protected in a while. That's exactly why you play a dual-threat quarterback - if the protection breaks down, who poses a bigger threat to run? Gray, of course! And does a QB that is a true threat to run help slow down the pass rush (and help the offensive line)? I believe so, but somebody tell me if I am way off here.

It's not that Weber shouldn't play at all, but he should certainly be held to the same standards that others have been held to and when he is as terrible as he has been this year (with MSU the exception), then he needs to sit - not to give him a lesson, but for the sake of his teammates.

It is beyond frustrating.

I don't disagree with anyone assertions that Weber is playing horribly, or that Gray could be a lot better right now (that he couldn't be worse is idiotic, but he very well may be an improvement). My biggest thing is, the coaching staff has EVERY reason to play Gray. And not just because of what's going on on the field. The fans are calling for him, the offense is struggling, he's Brew's signature recruit, and he's a freshman, so no one would blame him (or the coaches) if he struggles out of the gate. I can see no reason why he wouldn't play (and throw) more often besides him not being ready. So, for the time being, I'm prepared to go out on a limb and believe the coaching staff.

Even with that said, I would have liked to see him come out and lead a full series in the 3rd quarter, if only because it looked like they could have run the read option the whole way and moved down the field on SDSU just on sheer strength and athletisism.

First off, when was the last time Gray threw a pass (not including the OSU game since that was mop-up time)? Can anyone remember that? You know everytime that Marqueis comes into the game that he's going to run. You can't call Gray a dual threat if the coaching staff never calls a passing play for him.

Secondly, quit using the "Weber isn't a B10 QB" argument. He proved the last two years that in the spread, he was one of the better QB's in the conference.

If anyone listened to the postgame on KFAN today, a caller stated that both Weber AND Gray are spread QBs. Neither is a pro-style offense QB. Weber usually rolled out when he was at Mounds View and he had the ability to roll out the last two years. The new offense has pulled his ability to run. Those plays aren't in the playbook (Fisch has even stated this fact). Weber has never had an internal clock for playing in the pocket. Brewer agreed with him on all of these points.

You're seeing him take sacks because the warning bells aren't sounding, his inability to run, and the inability to pass block. Throw in the change in throwing motion which has caused a bunch of things to go haywire and you've got a perfect storm.

Would I like to see Gray get some more time? Sure. Do I think he should be starting? No, it's still Adam's job. I know I'm taking the opposing view of a lot of people, but I don't think everything we're seeing is entirely Adam's fault.

Top Bottom