Brew to let Bryant Allen start practicing as early as Sunday

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet from the Pioneer Press:

"Bryant Allen would be allowed to play and practice with the basketball team before Brewster's 15 practices start leading up to the bowl."

With the Gophers last regular season football game on Saturday, Allen could essentially start practicing as early as Sunday. It will be interesting to see if he's able to pull this off as so few players are able to actually do it.

Go Gophers!!

Here is a bit more from Marcus' blog:

Allen could join Tubby Smith soon
By Marcus Fuller

Gophers football coach Tim Brewster said Wednesday that freshman wide receiver Bryant Allen would be able to join men's basketball coach Tubby Smith's team before practice begins for a bowl game.

Allen was a high-profile recruit as a two-sport star at Maplewood Richmond Heights High School in Missouri. The 6-foot, 165-pound Allen is expected to walk onto the basketball team as a point guard.

"If he can get over there and help Tubby's basketball team a little bit between the time off, we're going to allow him to do that," Brewster said. "Obviously, if we're practicing then he's going to be with us."

-- Allen is a great athlete. He was a great high school basketball player, but I'm not sure how much he could help Smith right now. He will help in practice. Allen's also presence provides depth if there are injuries.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/11/allen-could-join-tubby-smith-s.html

Go Gophers!!

Glad to have him. ...

to have another body, but can he play power forward?;)

That's awesome! I'm really excited that Allen was really serious about playing bball. Most kids say they want to do both, but when football season hits, they realize the demands of the two sports are just too much. Good for him, he must be really driven!

I just hope he doesn't get hurt calling for a fair catch Saturday.

That assumes Iowa will have to punt.. OHHhh.. I know. Uncalled for.

Seriously though. Hoping for an upset.

Good to hear, I hope we get to see him play sometime soon. As you will see in the youtube highlights below, he looks like he hustles more than any other player on the court, he is clearly a guy with a high motor which is exactly what you need on any team. I imagine he is going to come to the team with the expectation of competing for significant minutes once he gets his ball handing and shot back after about a month in the gym. I wonder when the last time he put in time on the court? He looks to be outragously fast with a great outside jumpshot and he clearly has no trouble pulling the trigger! Whether he gets much playing time this year will remain to be seen, but it's nice to know someone will be making Nolan a better PG by pushing him so hard in practice. Is it possible he wasn't recruited by many college basketball programs because he was a football first player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovN5JpBcKk&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvateImn4oY&feature=related

Say what you want about Brewster, and I have been critical for some of the things that have transpired within the football program, but the man does support other Gopher programs. He's supportive of his guys playing other sports (Decker in baseball, Davis with track, and now Allen with basketball) and seems to genuinely want other university teams to do well. And to me, that's always a nice thing to see.

Top Bottom