Brett McMurphy: The Case for a 16-Team College Football Playoff Grows Stronger

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Brett:

“The more playoff spots there are (in college football), the more it will encourage better scheduling because then a regular season loss or two doesn’t end a team’s championship aspirations,” a Power Five AD said.

In the College Football Playoff’s first six years, no team with two losses has ever qualified.

Perhaps realizing the inevitable playoff expansion, several of college football’s elite programs have recently improved their future non-conference schedules. Some of the upcoming home-and-home series include Alabama-Texas, Ohio State-Notre Dame, Oklahoma-Georgia, Wisconsin-Alabama, Georgia-Florida State, Washington-Ohio State, Texas-Georgia, Oklahoma-Alabama, Texas-Ohio State and Clemson-Georgia.

A Group of Five AD favors making the jump from four to 16 teams because of the better access to Group of Five programs.

“It would allow for greater television exposure, greater revenue and more access,” the AD said.

While only 3 percent of FBS teams make the College Football Playoff, 65 percent of FBS teams qualify for bowl games. While the athletic directors value the “bowl experience,” some admit the bowls resemble “exhibition-type games” as a number of high-profile NFL Draft prospects have skipped bowl games because it isn’t a playoff game and they want to avoid injuries.

“In a 16-team playoff everyone would feel like they have a chance,” a Group of Five AD said. “I also do not buy many of the reasons for not supporting it. I don’t think it takes away from the regular season as it is still very difficult to finish in the top 16.

“I don’t believe it is too difficult logistically — as every other level of sport (high school, FCS, NFL, etc.) has figured out legitimate playoffs. I love bowl games and college football tradition and (a 16-team playoff) would hurt bowl games, but the value of a legitimate playoff is worth it.”

Some athletic directors recommended that in a 16-team playoff, the eight teams that lost in the first round of the tournament could then advance to play in one of the bowl games, so the student-athletes would still get the “bowl experience.”

Also, several athletic directors said by expanding the playoff, the 12-game regular season likely would need to be reduced.

“Rather than add games to an already long season, I would play an 11-game schedule for an eight-team playoff and a 10-game schedule for a 16-team playoff,” a Power Five AD said.

“The games eliminated would be non-conference and consist mostly of games that are non-competitive, which most people don’t want to watch and most athletes don’t want to play in.”

Go Gophers!!

I'm so ready for a 16-team playoff.

That said...If it was as simple as taking the top 16 teams, we woulda just missed it last year =(

That story just makes it more likely there will be an 8 team playoff ‘cause no more will you be hearing about a six team playoff.

I think one of the worries of expanding is blowout playoff games.

I think a 4 and 6 team playoff actually has more likely chances for blowouts because the small size of the playoff means huge wait time for the games for teams to get healthy and have weeks of game planning.

a 16 team playoff probably starts one week after conference championships or at most two weeks after...7 days to play will really cut down on some of the blowouts IMO.

I would actually love to see a 16 team playoff with 10 auto bids for 10 conference champs but that’ll never happen

8 is ideal to me but definitely ok with 16. It needs to get done soon.

16 is a farce ... zero chance it happens any time soon, if ever.

McMurphy knows it's click-bait.

A realistic discussion of CFP expansion is if it will go to 6 teams or 8 teams.

Top Bottom