Bret Bielema says he won't recruit Penn State players

Ha, what a hypocrite. This is his public face on the issue. The real story is that none of the PSU players want to come to Wisconsin, so he makes it appear as though he wouldn't ask them to come anyway.

I know Penn State's players are allowed to transfer without sitting out a year, but does this mean that schools are able to actively recruit them, or does the player need to initiate contact?

I think a lot of NCAA coaches, not just B1G will not try and strip mine PS. Integrity has to find expression somewhere...it would be like kicking someone when they are already down...as the saying goes "only vultures pick at a dead man's bones." Kill and Fitz are not going to as well. Along with that they know if PS loses to much it will devastate them. I think even BB has his limits believe it or not.

I know Penn State's players are allowed to transfer without sitting out a year, but does this mean that schools are able to actively recruit them, or does the player need to initiate contact?

I think other schools, so long as they provide a list of players to PS they want to speak to, can initiate the contact. My question is if the player has to express the desire to examine transferring first or if the schools can contact regardless?

Funny thing was that Ross Douglas had scheduled a visit to Wisky prior to committing to the Wolverines. He must be alluding to players currently on the roster, riiiiiiggghhhhht.

I think a lot of NCAA coaches, not just B1G will not try and strip mine PS. Integrity has to find expression somewhere...it would be like kicking someone when they are already down...as the saying goes "only vultures pick at a dead man's bones." Kill and Fitz are not going to as well. Along with that they know if PS loses to much it will devastate them. I think even BB has his limits believe it or not.

On the other hand, the purpose of this ruling is so the PSU players(that have nothing to do with crimes) are allowed to choose another school and not have to endure the sanctions.

If other schools don't offer, the players lose their opportunity to 'get away' from the sanctions.

The other thing to remember is that there were rumors that these players would not count against the 85 scholarships this year, but I don't know if that was ever made official. But even if it did go through that was only for this year - next year they count against the 85. So you look at Minnesota, and does it make any sense to recruit any player from PSU? If it means losing one of the precious 12-13 scholarships for next year, probably not unless they are a huge improvement on the current roster.

It's sort of like signing another JuCo player, other than the level of competition. If the you have slots to fill in a Junior or Senior class, it makes sense. If not, then you probably pass.

I don't know Wisconsin's scholarship status, but I'm assuming they aren't having a tough time finding people to give them to.

Besides, Matt McGloin (sp?) is probably not a huge improvement on Wisconsin's current free agent QB... :)

The other thing to remember is that there were rumors that these players would not count against the 85 scholarships this year, but I don't know if that was ever made official.

Here's my understanding of it: you can go as high as you want with PSU transfers this year, but you must reduce your total count by an equal amount next year. In other words, say you're at the full 85 right now, but you want to sign 3 PSU transfers to play for you this year and thus would be at 88. In that case, you would be limited to a total count of 82 next year, so that you average 85 over the 2 years. I'm not sure that's 100% accurate, but that's how I have interpreted it.

Let me start by saying I hats the badgers and bb. That being said, good tot him. I read yesterday that Illinois coaches were on the Penn State campus carrying Illinois bags. That's classless!

Ha, what a hypocrite. This is his public face on the issue. The real story is that none of the PSU players want to come to Wisconsin, so he makes it appear as though he wouldn't ask them to come anyway.

+1

PSU must not have a QB wanting to transfer.

Seriously....even if I was not a Gopher fan I would think Bielema is an idiot. Such a cocky piece of dung - plus he looks like a big Oaf! Just another reason to dislike Bucky.

Yeah, he really reached out to Brewster as a brother. I'm sure he told Brewster, I will recruit Minnesota with honor.

Yeah, he really reached out to Brewster as a brother. I'm sure he told Brewster, I will recruit Minnesota with honor.

Didn't Brew start it at his first signing day social before the two had even met? (followed by his son getting off the bench to trash talk a UW kicker after a loss?)

While I buy that Kill and Bielema aren't buddy buddy, there does seem to be a public show of respect.

Didn't Brew start it at his first signing day social before the two had even met? (followed by his son getting off the bench to trash talk a UW kicker after a loss?)

While I buy that Kill and Bielema aren't buddy buddy, there does seem to be a public show of respect.

I don't recall Brewster saying anything during the social, but I could have missed it. I do think that their relating was strained by recruiting.

Just speaking in general here. If he is so buddy buddy with PSU, then why the kick-off games against PSU a few years back? I don't care so much about him being a jerk. It's the weasel like nature in which he does it.

Top Bottom