BREAKING NEWS: Jerry Kill retiring immediately due to health, Claeys interim HC

Gut punch no doubt, but wishing Coach all the best as he moves on with his much less stressful life. It was worth giving it a shot the first time and try to fight through, but at some point you have to call it, and I'm glad to see him doing so. He's been a great ambassador for this program and we're much better off as a program having had Jerry Kill here the last five years. That press conference tho....so emotional.

All the best Coach! You are a truly unique human being. A great leader. An inspiration. We all wish you all the best! You are beloved.

This is a man that I'd have loved to have taught or coached my own children.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Somewhat-misleading headline on ESPN's homepage:

"Gophers' Kill has more seizures, forced to retire"

Total gut punch. Hopefully Kill can get his health in order and enjoy his retirement. Best of luck coach!

This is awesome on so many levels. Best player response yet.

Go Gophers!!

Deepest sympathy and regret for this fine man - he gave it everything he had. Makes you feel small for criticizing him at times. He was building the best program since Warmath - very sad for him and for the program in mid-season. Hope his life and health improve as he moves on and can spend more time with his wife and family. A very, very warm thank you to him for his courage and endless hard work.

Very sad for Coach Kill having to give up the job he loves, I am listening to his press conference now and you just feel for the man. On the other hand I am very happy for Coach Kill that he's made this decision to focus on his health and live his life to the best of his ability. His family is probably very happy that they have their son, husband, dad back with them and away from a job that might have been forcing him to make decisions that were not best for his long term future.

I hope in time he can look back and be at peace with the football career he had and lead a long and healthy (as possible) life going forward.

Coach kill my alll time favorite coach in any sport ever! He was a all around coach.

He taught kids life lessons, prepared them for life after football. I mean we all know on every team of 90 players there might be only 3,4,5 kids that play in the NFL.

He work hard was amazing in the community, friendly , caring and great all around man! Besides my favorite football coach

Every time I listen to a his speak he is so broken. I have shed many tears for this man. I am so pissed of he couldn't finish what he started.

I still believe coach Kill had us on the path to Indianapolis, may have not been this year but he was building the program to reach long term success. Just when you think the Gopher football program is cursed with nothing but bad luck this happens to pile on even more. We were blessed and lucky to get coach Kill to come here from Northern Illinois. This program was a directionless ship without a leader and very much adrift for the last two years of the Brewster staff. Although I am a little heartbroken that coach Kill will not be able to finish what he has started, I am happy that he was our coach, will find a new calling, and will have left a large mark of dedication and passion that has left an impact on our fan base. He started to give us belief that the Gophers could rise from the ashes and build something, impacting our program in many positive ways. That building brick by brick and having belief in building a strong program is still possible, building something positive and long lasting.

I wish coach Kill and his wife Rebecca nothing but the best and hope he can somehow stay connected to the U. Ski-U-Mah always

per Marcus:

Having spent six seasons as the Gophers basketball coach, Tubby Smith developed a strong relationship with Jerry Kill. His thoughts were with the former U football coach Wednesday when Kill announced he as retiring because of epilsepsy.

"Because of his love and affection for the game, you know it had to be something (serious) for him to now retire at this stage," Smith, now the Texas Tech basketball coach, said. "He's still a young man in my eyes, with a lot to offer, but I read that it's really taking a lot out of him not being able to sleep and get the rest you need.

"This is a demanding business, this coaching profession. I wish him and his family the best."

One of Smith's best memories of Kill, 54, was when the football coach attended his 60th birthday party in 2011.

"I know he's a smooth dancer," Smith said, laughing. "He and his wife (Rebecca) are just great people. I think the university and people who know Coach Kill respect how hard he works. You know you've got to be at your tip-top shape physically and emotionally and psychologically to give it your all. I'm sure that's what Kill figured out. He just couldn't give it all he had anymore."

http://www.twincities.com/timberwol...-tubby-smith-understands-jerry-kills-decision

Go Gophers!!

Amen

The oft-read Joplin Globe: Kill: 'A great time'in life at Webb City

Jerry Kill spent only two years at Webb City High School, but his impact is still being felt today.

Kill retired as the University of Minnesota’s football coach on Wednesday due to health reasons. The 54-year-old Kill, who has epilepsy, was the head coach at Webb City in 1988 and ‘89 and also previously coached at Pittsburg State.

During Kill’s first stint at Pittsburg State (1985-87) he recruited a young man from Webb City named John Roderique.

“Coach Kill recruited me when I was in high school and then I played for him for two years at Pitt,” Roderique said. “And then he left and came here to Webb City.”

http://www.joplinglobe.com/sports/l...cle_09af26c2-cd61-5bbc-947a-480e5ef2b100.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom