Breaking News from the Stadium

MrGopher

The Anti-Sioux
Reaction score
I'm working parking here at Maroon and Gold lots. Many were told that Gold was reserved for shovelers, but it was lot 37. The beginning of a mess...

Now, it turns out, they have stopped letting people in to shovel. The gate is closed and several dozen people are standing out in the cold. Many have gone home. Not exactly sure on the reasoning (could be not enough people to manage the laborers). Apparently, they will let in more people when the next shift starts (noon). It's calming down now, but there were dozens of loud shouting and even chanting folks just a hundred yards from me.

It might get a bit worse when they realize that, without vouchers, they might find some difficulty getting out of their parking lot for free (as promised). Not sure if they are giving vouchers to those turned away. Just found out that many of my fellow parking staff at lot 37 will be instructed to let anyone out, free of charge, if they say they were turned away from work. However, many of those folks parked at other parking lots and ramps thinking it would be free.

Crazy over here!! I'll update if anything interesting happens.

Once word got out that people are being paid to shovel I'm sure they got all the help they needed and then some.

I'm working parking here at Maroon and Gold lots. Many were told that Gold was reserved for shovelers, but it was lot 37. The beginning of a mess...

Now, it turns out, they have stopped letting people in to shovel. The gate is closed and several dozen people are standing out in the cold. Many have gone home. Not exactly sure on the reasoning (could be not enough people to manage the laborers). Apparently, they will let in more people when the next shift starts (noon). It's calming down now, but there were dozens of loud shouting and even chanting folks just a hundred yards from me.

It might get a bit worse when they realize that, without vouchers, they might find some difficulty getting out of their parking lot for free (as promised). Not sure if they are giving vouchers to those turned away. Just found out that many of my fellow parking staff at lot 37 will be instructed to let anyone out, free of charge, if they say they were turned away from work. However, many of those folks parked at other parking lots and ramps thinking it would be free.

Crazy over here!! I'll update if anything interesting happens.

Sounds like a search for a MN head FB coach has broken out over there...

On the plus side, there is a truckful of snow leaving the bank every handful of minutes. They are getting some work done in there.

My estimate of the turnout so far from 7ish to now at 9:45..... about 800-1000 people.

They said they aren't accepting any more shovelers today for the 8am shift. Try coming back for the noon and 4pm shifts today and tomorrow.

The local liquor stores near the dome are going to have a run on MD20/20, ripple, and 40's. Hope they have enough brown paper bags for everyone.

I remember back in the 80's there was that plasma center on Washington Ave near the Arby's. Nicholas liquors would cash the $8 checks they gave you. No wonder you always wake up with a headache after surgery.

The local liquor stores near the dome are going to have a run on MD20/20, ripple, and 40's. Hope they have enough brown paper bags for everyone.

I remember back in the 80's there was that plasma center on Washington Ave near the Arby's. Nicholas liquors would cash the $8 checks they gave you. No wonder you always wake up with a headache after surgery.

The plasma place is still there. I may or may not have sold some plasma during my college years for booze money.:D

Haha, classic

I'm really starting to regret getting my "I heart MD 20/20" tattoo.

On the plus side, there is a truckful of snow leaving the bank every handful of minutes. They are getting some work done in there.

My estimate of the turnout so far from 7ish to now at 9:45..... about 800-1000 people.

Wave to us on the webcam.

The crowd had pretty much dispersed. People still hanging around the stadium though.

The plasma place is still there. I may or may not have sold some plasma during my college years for booze money.:D

I did it once my sophomore year. The doctor they had checking you out looked like he was on the run from a malpractice suit. They had 1 nurse for like 20 beds. I'm sitting there with my Physics 1281 book while they're putting the red stuff back in after spinning out the plasma. All of a sudden I see this big honking air bubble going down the tube. All I can think of are those Jacques Cousteau specials where he says "Zee air in zee blood, she if verry bad!" I start screaming for the nurse to come over before I get the bends. She eventually walks over and shows me some contraption that keeps the bubbles out. I guess they don't want to kill their suppliers, even if half of them are winos. I vowed never to go back. And yes, I did go straight to Nicholas with my check.

We used to show up there as a philanthropic venture with our fraternity. Then straight to Fowl Play because with less blood, we figured we'd get drunk cheaper.

This one just came up on the U's Facebook page:

Due to an overwhelming response from hundreds of great Minnesotans, the University of Minnesota is no longer accepting shovelers to help clear TCF Bank Stadium on Thursday. Those interested in helping on Friday can check back in at the stadium at 8 a.m. Friday.

http://www.facebook.com/UofMN

WCCO said the snow is about 50% gone already?

They said they aren't accepting any more shovelers today for the 8am shift. Try coming back for the noon and 4pm shifts today and tomorrow.

Sounds like a scene from Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle".

Poor Jurgis needs to get a job shoveling for a day so he can take care of Tete Elizabeta.

Now that noon is nearly upon us, we have the next "shift" of people coming to work. Im being told that they will only let 50 people in at noon, and turn the rest away. I realize that the U told everyone on the website to come back tomorrow, but this is coming from security staff right here.

Problem is, there is a line of at least a couple hundred people curled around the northeast corner of the stadium, waiting to be let in. They must have missed the memo.

wow sounds like they really underestimated the turnout.

What do they do with the 30 tons of water it produces? I suppose they vacuum it up, then do they have to dry off the surface to prevent it from being covered in ice?

Line now much longer and stretches from gate C (student entrance) all the way to gate B.

Top Bottom