BREAKING: Mark Coyle and Lindsay Whalen announced today that Whalen will step down as head coach, effective immediately.

LM21

Reaction score
https://gophersports.com/news/2023/3/2/whalen-steps-down-as-head-womens-basketball-coach

University of Minnesota Director of Athletics Mark Coyle and Head Women's Basketball Coach Lindsay Whalen announced today that Whalen will step down as head coach, effective immediately. Coyle and Whalen have agreed that she will remain with Gopher Athletics as special assistant to the athletics director through April 12, 2025.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Lindsay," said Coyle. "I want to thank Lindsay for her hard work and dedication as a player and as the head coach of our women's basketball program. She is one of the greatest alums and ambassadors this University has ever produced and her legacy of being a Minnesota icon is etched in stone."

"I want to thank Mark and the University for giving me the opportunity to lead this program five years ago," said Whalen. "It was an honor of a lifetime. I am grateful to my assistant coaches and staff and want to thank them for everything they did for our student-athletes during the last five years. We did things the right way and created a lot of memories, but now is the right time for me to step aside and return to being a proud alum. I look forward to supporting and cheering on the next head coach."

Whalen coached the Gophers from 2018-2023 and compiled an overall record of 71-76 and a Big Ten mark of 32-58 in five seasons. Whalen played for Minnesota from 2000-04. She was the program's first three-time All-American in school history and led the Gophers to their only Final Four in program history.

A national search for the 13th head women's basketball coach in the history of the Golden Gopher program will begin immediately.

Minnesota will hold a press conference at 3 pm, streamed on Minnesota's YouTube channel.

Someone posted same time as this… Don’t know how to delete this thread.

Per the U:

University of Minnesota Director of Athletics Mark Coyle and Head Women's Basketball Coach Lindsay Whalen announced today that Whalen will step down as head coach, effective immediately. Coyle and Whalen have agreed that she will remain with Gopher Athletics as special assistant to the athletics director through April 12, 2025.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Lindsay," said Coyle. "I want to thank Lindsay for her hard work and dedication as a player and as the head coach of our women's basketball program. She is one of the greatest alums and ambassadors this University has ever produced and her legacy of being a Minnesota icon is etched in stone."

"I want to thank Mark and the University for giving me the opportunity to lead this program five years ago," said Whalen. "It was an honor of a lifetime. I am grateful to my assistant coaches and staff and want to thank them for everything they did for our student-athletes during the last five years. We did things the right way and created a lot of memories, but now is the right time for me to step aside and return to being a proud alum. I look forward to supporting and cheering on the next head coach."

Whalen coached the Gophers from 2018-2023 and compiled an overall record of 71-76 and a Big Ten mark of 32-58 in five seasons. Whalen played for Minnesota from 2000-04. She was the program's first three-time All-American in school history and led the Gophers to their only Final Four in program history.

A national search for the 13th head women's basketball coach in the history of the Golden Gopher program will begin immediately.

Go Gophers!!

https://gophersports.com/news/2023/3/2/whalen-steps-down-as-head-womens-basketball-coach

Minnesota will hold a press conference at 3 pm, streamed on Minnesota's YouTube channel.
I wonder what the chances are that the freshman class and Rose stay?

The freshmen will be back and better than ever. The recent Star Tribune article said the four freshmen had signed a lease. They for sure will be back.

I am guessing this increases the chance Borowicz coming back.

I hope Rose is back. It is her team. I love watching Rose play. I do understand the good vibes with Shimmy.

I still love Whalen.

Time for even better

This will depend on who the new coach is.
I think it's a big assumption to think they'll all stick around to see who that coach is.

With the transfer portal bursting at the seams, I would imagine time is of the essence for getting your name out there.

i know somebody else noted it....but the South Dakota State coach should get an interview if he is interested!

I think it's a big assumption to think they'll all stick around to see who that coach is.

With the transfer portal bursting at the seams, I would imagine time is of the essence for getting your name out there.
If Coyle was telling us the truth, he has a list of candidates right now and he's setting up interviews. Based upon the agreement, it seems like this was something in the works for awhile now.

I worry about the freshman staying now. 😢
Yeah, of all the timing. This was the crew that WAS going to stay and not transfer out. As badly as things have been going and with the growing recognition that this might be a dead end, her leaving right now, this year, is about the worst timing it can be.

Repeat:

The Fab Four freshmen recently signed a one year lease for their apartment the four share off campus. All of them are dedicated to turning around this program. They are dedicated to Minnesota. They are locked in to coming back and signed a one year lease.

And now they get the coaching the need to soar and then want to stay again next year.

As a player under Coach Whay, this makes me sad. I know the “experiment” didn’t pan out the way we all wanted, but she is by far the best coach I ever had in terms of how she treated her players. As someone who saw the aftershock of the Pitts fiasco (which *finally* ended with last season’s mass exodus), I was hoping she’d get a little more time to mold this new team - the hardworking, bought-in one that the U deserves!

If any current players are reading this: I hope you stay and continues to represent the U - the future could be SO bright!

Yeah, of all the timing. This was the crew that WAS going to stay and not transfer out. As badly as things have been going and with the growing recognition that this might be a dead end, her leaving right now, this year, is about the worst timing it can be.
I hope they stay....seems like they want the program at the U to return to greatness.

Not so sure. I think we’re in the heart of your sunk cost fallacy. Lindsay proved this year that she is not a good coach. Amazing at a lot of other things but not coaching. She has talent that not only didn’t improve but seems to have regressed through the season.

Lindsay was worth a shot, but the experiment failed. Hopefully Coyle has his choice in place within a week or two because there is important retention recruiting to get done quickly.

Isn't it surprising that they are doing this now and not waiting until next week after the tournament has left town ? Kind of takes attention away from the event.

I like him too but I think he is a SDSU lifer.
I responded in another thread but Johnston took the job at Green Bay, was on his way to the announcement and he reneged on the job and stayed at South Dakota State. I would be thrilled if he came here but in my mind there’s a near 0% chance.

Isn't it surprising that they are doing this now and not waiting until next week after the tournament has left town ? Kind of takes attention away from the event.
They lost yesterday. Their season is over. Do it now while you might be able to talk to B1G teams assistant.

Who cares about the event. Every day we wait we fall a day behind. Coyle can't afford to get this next hire wrong.

Go Gophers!!
I don’t know much about the women’s game but it strikes me that this is a pretty good job. Excellent talent on the roster now. Great local talent and in a league seemingly on the rise. Administratraion committed to womens sports. Hopefully good candidates are available and willing.

I responded in another thread but Johnston took the job at Green Bay, was on his way to the announcement and he reneged on the job and stayed at South Dakota State. I would be thrilled if he came here but in my mind there’s a near 0% chance.
I would think Minnesota is a bit different than UWGB, which is arguably a lateral move with SDSU. Not saying he'd take it, but not sure I'd make the assumption he won't based on that.

Top Bottom