Breaking: Iowa Favored by 2.5 Points Over Gophers at Minnesota

At least this line doesn't set a new modern nadir for the Over/Under total.

Given the two team’s body of work so far, I’m surprised they Gophers are home underdogs.

Perhaps it has to do with MN lacking the typical over-optimistic betting fan base. I don’t bet on sports but if I did this seems like a good game to bet on the rodents.

I love overall the way the team looks right now, but the OL will have to significantly get better for us to thrive in the Big Ten season. WR need to raise their game a little bit too, and then boy we should be able to kind of play with anybody; PJ game plan and game day coaching as a caveat. The OL that we are playing right but for C now are full of guys who have to be 22-23–24 years old and should be playing a lot better; or should be replaced. If we keep getting pressure the way we have been I just don’t see the Iowa QB’s holding up.

HOW ABOUT YOU BRING YOUR RAIN PONCHO!!!

HOW ABOUT THAT!!!
The Billds have the very stylish giant maroon-top and gold-bottom UM sanctioned rain ponchos.

They flatten nicely in our similarly stylish clear-plastic UM sanctioned carry bag.

So we're covered so-to-speak come rain or shine.

Would’ve expected the line to be opposite. Imagine it’ll be a pick em by kickoff unless we get some bad news on the health front

I don't know what would be breaking news about betting odds.

It's not like they're not going to come out or be accessible or ... wut?

The Billds have the very stylish giant maroon-top and gold-bottom UM sanctioned rain ponchos.

They flatten nicely in our similarly stylish clear-plastic UM sanctioned carry bag.

So we're covered so-to-speak come rain or shine.
I like to bring disposable ones along because ... yeah they're not as nice but they take up so much less space.

Recent history is we beat them last year on the road, and have outplayed them for the last few years now despite only winning the one time.
Exactly. MN has outplayed IA and has been the better team 4 out of the past 5 meetings, but has managed to only go 1-4 in those games. Things have more room to even out even if IA is better this year. Things do tend to even out.

Iowa has the leading rusher in the nation. Have to stop him or could be trouble.

He looks good. Should be a good matchup. Still not sure about the Gophers offensive line.

Iowa RB Kaleb Johnson

Rushing Yards: 479

Rushing TD: 6

Avg per: 7.9

Receiving Yards: 27

Receiving TD: 0

Minnesota RB Darius Taylor

Rushing Yards: 188 (out game 1)

Rushing TD: 3

Avg per: 7.5

Receiving Yards: 85

Receiving TD: 1

Iowa has the leading rusher in the nation. Have to stop him or could be trouble.

I agree that's the major concern. From what I've seen of him, he's fast as hell and we won't catch him if he gets any daylight. Have to hit him as quickly as possible.

Kaleb Johnson’s running is setting up Iowa’s passing game. In the Troy game, Cade McNamara was 19 - 23, with no INTs. Ten different Hawkeyes caught passes. Iowa’s offense is becoming quite efficient under the new OC. Somehow, I think our D might actually be as good as Iowa’s this year. Iowa did yield 21 points to Troy (more than the Gophs have yielded all season).

Exactly. MN has outplayed IA and has been the better team 4 out of the past 5 meetings, but has managed to only go 1-4 in those games. Things have more room to even out even if IA is better this year. Things do tend to even out.
In 2019, 2021 and 2022, Iowa’s significantly better special team play contributed to 3 Gopher losses. Special teams shouldn’t be overlooked. The good news is that Iowa’s special team advantage seems to have gone away, with the possible exception of the return game.

Only problem with the Gopher offensive line play is all the passing the Gopher offense is doing now. (Just kidding ??? Maybe yes...maybe no. ) I think that it may take a few more games at least to get it JUST right.

You don't change your entire offensive identity over night. The fact that the qb moves around the pocket more, and throws different routes to more receivers and the backs can impact all of the timing and some technique in the way the line blocks for the shorter passing game and throwing more to a key running back (****wink wink****) ;0) ha ha.

You don't switch from being a primarily running team to a big passing offense without a few hitches...

Last edited:

Top Bottom