BREAKING: Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson has died at 86

2 personal memories of Brooks Robinson:

- Rain delays through the late 70s/early 80s whatever station showing Twins would run World Series Highlight Films. The 1970 Baltimore vs Cincinnati with their fledgling Big Red Machine was quite captivating. Robinson was unreal on that artificial turf leading the Os to the title.

- Late 80s while going to the U, sometimes post-game I would hang out at the loading dock HHH Dome exit and hound autographs. I remember catching a glimpse of Robinson who was doing color for Orioles broadcasts. I don't remember if I got one from him, but I can still picture him smiling dressed in a sharp leisure suit coming up the steps.

- Rain delays through the late 70s/early 80s whatever station showing Twins would run World Series Highlight Films. The 1970 Baltimore vs Cincinnati with their fledgling Big Red Machine was quite captivating. Robinson was unreal on that artificial turf leading the Os to the title.
Here's the referenced '70 WS Video. Narrated by the great Curt Gowdy. Lots of dudes that wound up in Cooperstown, including both skippers.

It doesn't take long to get to a Brooks Robinson highlight.

Last edited:

in 1970 I was 15 and quite possibly at the peak of my baseball fandom. A great Orioles team against the Big Red Machine. and Brooks Robinson stole the show with some of the most amazing fielding plays you will ever see.

16 consecutive Gold Gloves
AL MVP in 1964. 2nd in MVP voting in '66, 3rd in '65, 3rd in '60 and 4th in '71.

as a hitter - .267 BA w/ 482-2B, 268 HR, 1,357 RBI, .723 OPS

there have been many great 3rd basemen in MLB history. but in my lifetime, no one was a better fielder than Brooks.

1971 World Series Game 6 Brooks Robinson 1.jpg

Did anyone else ever wear the short-brimmed batting helmet like this? It's a bit before my time, but I don't recall anyone else sporting that look.

Top Bottom