BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

Did they sign a contract?
Very few jobs involve a contract signing in the real world. And an LOI is not a binding contract.

We had a guy a couple years ago accept a job. Showed up for about two weeks, and disappeared. Took a better offer from another company and just stopped showing up. And this was a pretty high level management job.

In the modern business world, HR departments will not give recommendations or say ANYTHING about a previous employee for fear of litigation, so there is literally no reprecussions of doing this, other than word of mouth.

Last edited:

Very few jobs involve a contract signing in the real world. And an LOI is not a binding contract.
The last part you are wrong. The NIL is very much a binding contract. As someone who signed one you are definitely singing a binding document. That is also why the gophers need to release him from it.

Can you really blame him?
In our poll somewhere along the way...I selected zero conference wins, so we have won one more than I expected. Ben has over achieved. Evans and his handlers had even more information available to them than I did from only watching non conference games.

So, I'd guess you would think when he made the decision to come to Minnesota he knew we were a very bad team. You'd think his thought was he was good enough to make a difference in turning it around and that was why he was coming.

Obviously, not the case.

Or, any number of things could have changed in his available opportunities and then, no I wouldn't blame him if he chose this route.
Just the first piece demonstrating it is going to be tough to build a power in 2023 and in the near future with freshmen who can so easily just switch schools. AND, veterans with a track record are offering their services in the portal.

That simply isn't true, unless winning B1G titles is your standard for decent.

This is still a Big Ten job. One of 75 in the Power 6. In a state that produces decent talent. There are a dozen decent hires that can do better than this. And better than Pitino.
This.

And I’m personally not even asking for like a “tourney every year” type of coach- though that’d be nice.

Just some competency. Building a roster that makes sense and some semblance of a team identity.

He’s not going to make the tourney next year. So fire him and try with someone else.

You will need to stop being a Gopher fan if you want to buy your basketball players. Maybe cheer for Miami or go strictly NBA.
Once again, you seem unable to understand the reality that exists in college sports today. NIL is the reality. Very little NCAA enforcement is the reality. Big time donors determining where players go is the reality. Money. Is. The. Reality.

The last part you are wrong. The NIL is very much a binding contract. As someone who signed one you are definitely singing a binding document. That is also why the gophers need to release him from it.
True. And I assume they can stipulate some restrictions, such as that he can't go to another B1G school next year.

This.

And I’m personally not even asking for like a “tourney every year” type of coach- though that’d be nice.

Just some competency. Building a roster that makes sense and some semblance of a team identity.

He’s not going to make the tourney next year. So fire him and try with someone else.
The bar for the next coach is incredibly low. Perhaps that will work in our favor.

True. And I assume they can stipulate some restrictions, such as that he can't go to another B1G school next year.
That I don’t know. That’s more of a release of a scholarship thing when the person is already enrolled.

It binds his college rights to the U. It doesn't prevent him from doing a prep school year, or going directly to the G league or Eurobasket.

What I don't know, is how long the LOI binding exists. Is it one year? Perpetuity? I know that for baseball, if a player is drafted out of high school, and they go to college, their draft rights are limited. But I think in hockey, the draft rights are longer. I might be wrong.

It binds his college rights to the U. It doesn't prevent him from doing a prep school year, or going directly to the G league or Eurobasket.

What I don't know, is how long the LOI binding exists. Is it one year? Perpetuity? I know that for baseball, if a player is drafted out of high school, and they go to college, their draft rights are limited. But I think in hockey, the draft rights are longer. I might be wrong.
He would have to sit out one year if we didn't release him. But he can appeal and we look like jerks.

He would have to sit out one year if we didn't release him. But he can appeal and we look like jerks.
Got it. Thank you. And I agree - not releasing him would be an easy target for other coaches to use in recruiting against the Gophers.

Henley will leave. His mom has posted some stuff about the the gophers.

Henley sucks, is awkward on the court, and the only place he could even dream of getting playing time in the Big 10 is at Minnesota.

See ya Evans and Henley! Happy Trails.

Sometimes I wonder if these two are really never to be heard from. Evans is such a mystery. Many calling him a major project.
I'm not comfortable making Henley the bad guy without some evidence that I have seen. If you have..that's one log on the fire.
Evans pulling out is a very bad short term look. I don't feel he would make a significant difference in our won loss record next year,
BUT, those two scholarships given to two veteran guards in the portal and we could be dramatically better next year if 43 other things fall into place. But, Evans was not the answer to next years success.

I'm not comfortable making Henley the bad guy without some evidence that I have seen. If you have..that's one log on the fire.
Evans pulling out is a very bad short term look. I don't feel he would make a significant difference in our won loss record next year,
BUT, those two scholarships given to two veteran guards in the portal and we could be dramatically better next year if 43 other things fall into place. But, Evans was not the answer to next years success.
We needed like 5 answers for next year….he certainly would have been one of the answers….

Even the idea that a top 20 talent picked the gophers is(well was) a good look on the recruiting trail…..

We needed like 5 answers for next year….he certainly would have been one of the answers….

Even the idea that a top 20 talent picked the gophers is(well was) a good look on the recruiting trail…..
Evans will only be ridiculed or dismissed by fans if he doesn't make a significant impact early as a 5 Star recruit.
He is very much a crap shoot for what he'd bring to a team. For us he had almost no chance to shine...we don't run and we don't have shooters. He needs an open game...in the Big Ten he'd get pushed out of bounds.
Ben needs veteran contributors from the portal...now he has a scholarship.

Evans will only be ridiculed or dismissed by fans if he doesn't make a significant impact early as a 5 Star recruit.
He is very much a crap shoot for what he'd bring to a team. For us he had almost no chance to shine...we don't run and we don't have shooters. He needs an open game...in the Big Ten he'd get pushed out of bounds.
Ben needs veteran contributors from the portal...now he has a scholarship.
Yeah another samuels will take is to where we need to go. Remember….Ben has nothing to sell to portal guys….no NIL and no track record of being a decent coach

As I said….Evans was not the guy we wanted to lose to gain a scholly

I honestly don't know what the answer is at this point. Even a month ago I was still in the wait and see camp. But this news coupled with the absolute shitshows masquerading as D1 basketball games has me wondering long and hard if it is time to cut bait on this stretch hire.

Across the street at Mariucci, the men's hockey team wasn't a train wreck by any stretch of the imagination, but it was clear the coach got stale and the program was just kind of muddling along. Attendance was meh and apathy had started to set in. So when Lucia decided to step down, the school did not eff around. They went and got a top-notch coach from an in-state rival, where it also happened to be his alma matter, to lead this program. A guy with a proven track record of building a program into a perennial contender. I'd say that worked out pretty damn well. The fans have returned, the rink is hopping again and the product is stellar. So the blueprint was there. You could also lump football into that category, too.

I hope I'm dead wrong and CBJ is a miracle worker. But this is getting really hard to watch. Can't be a lot of fun for the players, either.

The team simply is not well-coached. There is enough talent on the floor to win more than one game in conference. There are many coaches in the country if you give them this roster would carve out more wins. However, game after game, they make the same defensive mistakes, turn the ball over, dumb shots, missed free throws, etc.

I love the Gophers and like Ben as a person as I have known him for many years. I wanted him to be successful. I want him to be successful. Absent a couple wins and significantly improved play in these last few games though, there is just nothing in two years that demonstrates Ben has what it takes.

Side note: This ups the value of getting Ihnen and Fox to return and hope at least one of them is good.
Why don't we all try to walk on, then? Lots of us must have 3 to 4 years of eligibility left. 🙄

If they will not release him couldn’t Evans just come here, enroll, transfer portal immediately? I think due to transferring mid year he’d have to sit out the first half of the season but maybe it’s all of it. Or the NCAA may grant him immediate eligibility cause NCAA.

If he doesn’t want to be here let him go. Goggles stature is going to the dumpster.

Our identity is empty possessions
On the court
With recruits
In the Transfer Portal.

Keep JOJ and PP. Get 2 quick guards that can shoot and play D. Our forwards will sort themselves out. We can be pretty good next year. Looking at season tickets for next year. Would be worth the trip a couple times a month. We need better Gopher athletic supporters. We need NIL $$$. Do wish Evans would have stayed. Curious as to who bought him.

For everyone who tried to say that on court performance doesn't matter this year, it is hard for me to imagine that seeing us run out a team that looks totally uncompetitive didn't play into this. If you were a sought after prospect, can you honestly say you would have wanted to come get plugged into what we've seen on court this year?

Is there a college basketball coach who runs a halfway house for failed P5 coaches similar to what Saban does for college football? Ben Johnson should go there and rehabilitate his career because I fear this is currently a lost cause.

I don't think Johnson is a bad coach, this was just the wrong place and the wrong time for his first head coaching gig. He's lost all momentum and it's not going to come back.

With the transfer portal, NIL and Covid, Coyle picked the worst possible time to take a gamble on an unproven coach. He bet the house on even and the ball landed on odd. Time to leave the table.

Is there a college basketball coach who runs a halfway house for failed P5 coaches similar to what Saban does for college football? Ben Johnson should go there and rehabilitate his career because I fear this is currently a lost cause.

I don't think Johnson is a bad coach, this was just the wrong place and the wrong time for his first head coaching gig. He's lost all momentum and it's not going to come back.

With the transfer portal, NIL and Covid, Coyle picked the worst possible time to take a gamble on an unproven coach. He bet the house on even and the ball landed on odd. Time to leave the table.
I agree with you, but there was some sentiment that the chaos was the best time to take the risk on an ultimate long shot. Ben doesn’t need to be rehabilitated. The U administration needs that.

I agree with you, but there was some sentiment that the chaos was the best time to take the risk on an ultimate long shot. Ben doesn’t need to be rehabilitated. The U administration needs that.

It could have worked, it didn't. I think Johnson could be a good P5 coach after a stint in the MAC or the MVC where he can hone his craft.

Top Bottom