BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

Can you really blame him?
He said by watching the games this year he didn't know if he would be a good fit? What? He didn't see that having a rim protector would help this team? Whatever. I was excited to see him here, but his frame and the fact he wasn't dominating in high school had me a little worried about being in big ten. We move on!

Not sure if this has been said, but Evans wanting to leave is clear evidence of tampering by 3rd parties. It reveals the entire debacle that is NIL and open portal movent. It also is a display by Dennis Evans that he is a person who reneges on his commitment. It speaks adversely to his parents who are responsible to teach their son to make choices and keep those commitments. This also speaks to this generation of young people who want an easy path in life without struggling through adversity. To say I'm disappointed in Dennis Evans is an understatement.
This is a strained attempt at blame.

According to EduRank here are the Top U of M alumni. Lets make some phone calls and get that NIL budget going. Sad, (no billionaires?) - but if the University ever made an action movie we got a star studded cast.

1. Brock Lesnar
2. Jessica Lange
3. Ron Pearlman
4. Ric Flair
5. Kris Humphries
6. TR Knight
7. Kevin Sorbo
8. Loni Anderson
9. Yani
10. James Hong

Great post! Agree with the barn, its old and out of date and been filled with mostly bad teams, but I still love it. Such a shame to be in this spot. I've said it how many times, we aren't a powerhouse, but there is no reason we can't be wi or IA level competent every year. Ups and downs so happen, that's not this. This is pathetic on so many levels.
I've been to every sports venue in town. When gopher hoops is good and the barn is rocking, there is no better ticket in town. NONE

Airball.
Stay classy.
I was never implying or meant to imply they shouldn't let him out. Just pointing to the fact that Evans was probably the primary reason for any sort of optimism for next year. Interesting that you single out my post but say nothing about the others who are actually posting "screw the kid, make him play here."

A kid pouting in the locker room with one foot out the door isn't good for anything either.

I was never implying or meant to imply they shouldn't let him out. Just pointing to the fact that Evans was probably the primary reason for any sort of optimism for next year. Interesting that you single out my post but say nothing about the others who are actually posting "screw the kid, make him play here."

A kid pouting in the locker room with one foot out the door isn't good for anything either.
Don't let him out of it means he has to pick a different league. It pisses me off that you can sign and just say I want out after signing, without even playing here.

Nothing personal- I’ve always found SGs
In the same lane as WRs - highly pretentious😎

Does Ben go in there and like, actively sabotage practice?

Thorson? Any of the other assistants?

I doubt that they don't run a practice the same as pretty much every DI bball team. I doubt Izzo figured out some way to practice basketball that no one else has ever figured out.

You put the round thing in the hoop.
Well, I mean, like anything there are people who are better at it than others and the market for the people who are better at it is pretty lucrative.

But yeah, I have no doubt Ben had practices.

According to EduRank here are the Top U of M alumni. Lets make some phone calls and get that NIL budget going. Sad, (no billionaires?) - but if the University ever made an action movie we got a star studded cast.

1. Brock Lesnar
2. Jessica Lange
3. Ron Pearlman
4. Ric Flair
5. Kris Humphries
6. TR Knight
7. Kevin Sorbo
8. Loni Anderson
9. Yani
10. James Hong
Lol Jessica Lange and Yanni are sure to donate millions to Gopher athletics

Well, I mean, like anything there are people who are better at it than others and the market for the people who are better at it is pretty lucrative.

But yeah, I have no doubt Ben had practices.
I will fully admit that my opinion on this isn't worth the bytes of data on the GH server that this post will take up.

But I'm guessing that Izzo's practices and Ben's practices are roughly the same. Like all the DI practices. Like they all lift weights. Like they all stretch.

It's all the other, considerable, stuff.

I will fully admit that my opinion on this isn't worth the bytes of data on the GH server that this post will take up.

But I'm guessing that Izzo's practices and Ben's practices are roughly the same. Like all the DI practices. Like they all lift weights. Like they all stretch.

It's all the other, considerable, stuff.
Yeah, I am sure they are probably roughly the same but I think there is more to being a good coach than what drills you are running.

People should look at minnesota and say they are rebuilding and have things going in right direction, but it started with pitino, but now people look at this program as it's the worst program around. Hard to build a program when everyone takes off. Fire Johnson and we start from scratch again. I have this feeling unless we hire some NAME coach it's gonna be a long time until we win. Aren't there players out there that believe they can help rebuild this? With the portal most kids are like screw it I'll just go somewhere else and win. With those attitudes how will we ever get players? Love to get christie here, but in this day and age of nil and the portal who can ever predict anything in college basketball. Getting tired of this. Sorry if I'm rambling and all over the board, but this is just frustrating!
I think they are at a place where the only option is a "name" coach. The up and comer route has been traveled three times since the late 90's. We had a chance last time to that right (an experienced up and comer) and blew it. The hole is deep and getting deeper.

There were plenty of reports early on that Evans was one of the rare highly ranked players that didn't really care about NIL. Now maybe he completely changed his mind about NIL, but there's absolutely the possibility that he's texting Henley and something is about to happen after the season. Maybe Henley has one foot already out the door, or there's about to be a mass exodus, or it's something as simple as Ben has lost the locker room. Regardless I think this has much more to do with on-court play and off-court pending dominos, and NIL is just the final deciding factor to leave the program.

No matter what it is, this is a big-time gut punch.

Last edited:

There were plenty of reports early on that Evans was one of the rare highly ranked players didn't really care about NIL. Now maybe he completely changed his mind about NIL, but there's absolutely the possibility that he's texting Henley and something is about to happen after the season. Maybe Henley has one foot already out the door, or there's about to be a mass exodus, or it's something as simple as Ben has lost the locker room. Regardless I think this has much more to do with on-court play and off-court pending dominos, and NIL is just the final deciding factor to leave the program.

If he has lost the locker room, which is hard for me to believe, he needs to be done on March 9. A big selling point of his was his relationships with players and families, which is well-documented. If he can't keep that up, there is no hope.

It's poop again! Ben what in the hell are you doing? do you have any clue? Where are you going to find another 7 footer to bring in next year post end of Feb blizzard of the century?????? Dont recruit California, they dont like snow. I am outraged! fill the god damned scholarship with a big ten worthy point guard!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Iowa State was 2-22 (0-18) two years ago but then went and hired a guy who had run a program successfully. Now they are 17-10 (8-7) and ranked #23 in the country in the best conference in basketball. I guess I could live with that trajectory two years from now.

Baylor is another example in the last twenty years. Scott Drew hired after probation set in. First four years were all losing and a couple of them were as bad as this one.

USC had four losing seasons in a row (one of them with 6 wins total) before getting to their current successful period.

Wake Forest was mostly dreadful for 10 years before finding success over the last two years.

Pittsburgh had five straight losing seasons (one with 8 wins) before finding success this season.

If wins and losses are your perspective, then, who cares about this? Look, Evans is by all accounts a very good player, but - here - he would have been a very good player added to a roster that already has a very good player at the position. This news is a bummer, but, really, who cares?

Christie. Get Carrington and Henley to continue to develop. Find a PG with the same skillset as Cooper + quickness to break down a defense. All good.

The sky is not falling.
Ouch! What was that?! Something just fell on my head?!

There were plenty of reports early on that Evans was one of the rare highly ranked players didn't really care about NIL. Now maybe he completely changed his mind about NIL, but there's absolutely the possibility that he's texting Henley and something is about to happen after the season. Maybe Henley has one foot already out the door, or there's about to be a mass exodus, or it's something as simple as Ben has lost the locker room. Regardless I think this has much more to do with on-court play and off-court pending dominos, and NIL is just the final deciding factor to leave the program.

Henley will leave. His mom has posted some stuff about the the gophers.

Henley sucks, is awkward on the court, and the only place he could even dream of getting playing time in the Big 10 is at Minnesota.

See ya Evans and Henley! Happy Trails.

Sometimes I wonder if these two are really never to be heard from. Evans is such a mystery. Many calling him a major project.

I’ve always found this argument interesting. Are there examples of other D1 programs in major cities that don’t struggle with NIL stuff? If so, what’s unique to Minnesota’s situation? Is it the administration, apathy in the fanbase/locally, lack of rich alums who care about college sports, a cultural focus on pro sports even if the U is good, or what?
Miami seems to have pretty of money to throw around, but that is South Florida. Flash and cash.

Henley will leave. His mom has posted some stuff about the the gophers.

Henley sucks, is awkward on the court, and the only place he could even dream of getting playing time in the Big 10 is at Minnesota.

See ya Evans and Henley! Happy Trails.

Sometimes I wonder if these two are really never to be heard from. Evans is such a mystery. Many calling him a major project.
Exactly. College basketball will never be the same. Give a guy a million one year or whatever and he'll still look what's out there the next. You'll never be good if you're not in the game.

Both Henley and Evans will be starting at Pepperdine in 2 years!

I think you just allocate more scholarships to portal players than to HS players. We won't ever get the ones with NIL deals but we should be able to get 2 decent players per year through the portal.
You can allocate all the scholarships you want but if you can’t compete on the basketball court or in the NIL court how / why are kids going to come here. Listening to a podcast by Michael Rand today the had Marcus Fuller on it the relationship between Johnson and Evans was amazing and the gophers still lost him.

The NIL and transfer portal going to make it so tough for bad teams to improve.

You don't have to have a name or be a "name" to be good at what you do. Thinking you're limited to a certain kind of candidate because of the situation you find yourself in is equivalent to drafting for need early in the NFL draft. There's no surer way to failure. Find the best person you can find regardless of what their name is.

Perhaps but, unlike players, coaches don't have personal stats of performance, performance videos, or speed, strength, skill, and measures. They're like CEOs. You infer their quality from prior performance of their organizations, resume, personal statements, and testimonials from others. They easiest one of those to rely upon is performances by their prior teams.

This league usually has not been an entry level head coaching job. We also have to acknowledge that THIS IS A TOUGH JOB - TOUGHER THAN MOST P6 JOBS!

Exactly. College basketball will never be the same. Give a guy a million one year or whatever and he'll still look what's out there the next. You'll never be good if you're not in the game.
Henley wouldn’t be getting a minute at any other Big Ten school . He is getting a great opportunity and apparently that’s not enough? It’s getting hard to be a college basketball fan in general.

Top Bottom