Brandon Beal

Correcting people's spelling, grammar, math, etc., etc. mistakes on this board would be a full-time job.

Is the punctuation used in this sentence correct? Or is just the the middle portion of the sentence awkward?

I think he did an excellent job messing up this thread.

Back to the original question. Have the details of Beal's injury ever been released?

Goodness gracious. I graduated with honors as an English major, and under that authority I will state that 99% of the time grammar and spelling are nothing but excuses for overeducated pedants to pat themselves on the back.

Khaliq said:
No it wouldn't. A comma splice joins together two complete sentences into one. "Believe me" is not a complete sentence.

Yes it is. It is an imperative setence with (you) as an understood subject.

The kid himself says he prefers Offense because that's what he's most comfortable playing based on it's what HE feels he does best at. What's wrong with have a 6'2" 215lb running back with break away speed? Not a thing. We have a lot of young LBers coming in and it Beal gets healthy.... why need him there?

Really, how do you know Edwards himself prefers offense? From an am1500 story today.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...om_for_error_Edwards_adapts_to_new_role092111

Redshirt freshman Lamonte Edwards doesn't care what position he plays. He has only one preference.

"I just like to hit people," Edwards said. "I like physicality."

That is the task the Gophers' coaching staff is entrusting him with after asking him to switch from running back to linebacker earlier in the week.

Two practices in, Edwards is taking to his new role.

"I'm actually surprised," junior linebacker Mike Rallis said. "Even that first day out there, he was doing really well with the scheme and even some of his fundamentals, so he's a natural fit. Obviously it's not 100 percent clean, but he'll get there."

The move to defense is likely Edwards' best route to seeing an increase in playing time. In three games this season, he has carried the ball only eight times for 11 yards.

Edwards played on both sides of the ball at Woodbury high school and said his former coach has always told him he should switch to linebacker. Gifted with solid burst speed and a 6-foot-2, 210-pound frame, he has the make-up to excel at the position.

Learning the intricacies of defense coordinator Tracy Claeys' system in a hurry is a difficult task, but he's already acquainted with some of the basics.

"I jokingly asked him if he understood the whole defense after our first (position) meeting," Rallis remarked. "He said 'The one thing I understand is you hit the guy with the ball.'"

Kill would not say if it would be a long-term change, though the Gophers are trying to fill a hole at linebacker, with sophomore Brendan Beal expected to miss extensive time with a knee injury.

"I jokingly asked him if he understood the whole defense after our first (position) meeting," Rallis remarked. "He said 'The one thing I understand is you hit the guy with the ball.'"

Great quote! That's the mentality of a defensive player and I hope it works out well for both Lamonte and the Gophers.

I think he did an excellent job messing up this thread.

Back to the original question. Have the details of Beal's injury ever been released?

I'm pretty sure your not going to get an answer from anyone that really knows. Some have speculated he tore his ACL again.

Goodness gracious. I graduated with honors as an English major, and under that authority I will state that 99% of the time grammar and spelling are nothing but excuses for overeducated pedants to pat themselves on the back.

Perhaps you are correct. However, assuming that being educated is a good thing, how can anyone be overeducated?

Perhaps you are correct. However, assuming that being educated is a good thing, how can anyone be overeducated?

Well, overeducated, as it's traditionally used, doesn't necessarily mean education is bad. It is usually set up in comparison to a lack of real world experience. Things that don't really matter that much in actual experience are often raised to significance unnecessarily by the "overeducated." An overreducated person lords mistakes related to unimportant details over others. Really, if someone came up to a person and asked what was up with "Brandon Beal", all but the most perceptive listeners would not bat an eye. In this case, everyone knew the player to whom the OP referred, so while I wouldn't care about a simple spelling correction, the snark is unnecessarily pedantic.

TLDR: "Yes, we understand his name is actually spelled Brendan, who cares?"

/derail over.

If you'll notice, I harp in particular on misspellings of people's names. I think it's rude and disrespectful to get a person's name wrong.
So sue me.

Believe me, I bite my tongue tons and tons of times. Correcting people's spelling, grammar, math, etc., etc. mistakes on this board would be a full-time job.

I'm guessing you haven't read the book How to be a Gentleman...

Regardless, it is still horribly rude to misspell or mispronounce anyone's name.

To be honest with you, I thought maybe Brandon was Brendan's brother, and that this was a recruiting thread.

Regardless, it is still horribly rude to misspell or mispronounce anyone's name.

To be honest with you, I thought maybe Brandon was Brendan's brother, and that this was a recruiting thread.

Really? Let's revisit the OP. "I know he was not on the trip to USC, but is he out with an injury or what happened? I was looking forward to seeing what he could do this year."

You thought we were taking a recruit out to USC? You also thought we would play the recruit in one of our games? C'mon man.

Really? Let's revisit the OP. "I know he was not on the trip to USC, but is he out with an injury or what happened? I was looking forward to seeing what he could do this year."

You thought we were taking a recruit out to USC? You also thought we would play the recruit in one of our games? C'mon man.

Um, joke? C'mon man.

I guess you must live in a different realm. I can think of a great number of things that I would call "horribly rude", making an honest (and probably very common) spelling mistake is not one of them. In fact, I would question the judgment of a person who thought so. Therefore, I question your judgment, dude.

Top Bottom