Braelon Oliver (Sr LB) Into the Portal

Has never seemed to fully reach the potential he has shown in flashes but sucks to see him go. Wonder what was the driving force for him leaving since it seemed like he would be in line for a key role next season.

Has never seemed to fully reach the potential he has shown in flashes but sucks to see him go. Wonder what was the driving force for him leaving since it seemed like he would be in line for a key role next season.
makes you think we have someone lined up in the portal or below him in the depth chart that will take his spot. Hard to know for sure but him hitting the portal doesn't always indacate a bad thing for us

Looking to cash in I take it, it can’t be about playing time.

Gophers haven't had many starters transfer out. have there been any? in any season?

Bucky Irving would have likely started on the 2023 team but I can't remember the Gophers losing guys who were returning starters to the Portal.

Gophers haven't had many starters transfer out. have there been any? in any season?

Bucky Irving would have likely started on the 2023 team but I can't remember the Gophers losing guys who were returning starters to the Portal.
MJ Anderson and I guess maybe Dunlap would fit that mold. But yeah, for the most part the guys we have lost have been older guys that were passed by younger players or younger guys that had yet to see the field.

Oliver and Dixon are two that likely would have had a pretty big role in 2023 so unfortunate to see them go. But it is the reality of college football right now.

I'm getting a little discouraged with NCCA football as a whole.
Yeah, I'm always surprised when people say they love this or it's no big deal.

I'm getting a little discouraged with NCCA football as a whole.
Likewise. I get that PJ, overall, has done okay in the portal, but it sucks to be getting on GH and thinking, "I hope there's no bad news today." This isn't program changing, but it's tough to see guys go who have contributed.

Yeah, I'm always surprised when people say they love this or it's no big deal.
I just can't even imagine what it is like for the coaches. Having to go out and recruit high school players and then also having to recruit their own players and be ready for guys to just up and leave at the drop of a hat.

Makes it really hard to plan for the future. But it is the reality we are in so at this point all fans can really do is embrace it and expect the unexpected.

They will need to modify the process in the future, maybe they should allow the number of portal spots to equal the number of players allowed into the portal, so the players do not loose a spot.

I hate where college football is headed.
Yeah, one thing the leaders, if there are any, might not be realizing is that this can hurt fan engagement. I mean, when Fleck got here and he brought in players like Bateman, Dunlap & Big Dan, etc. it really got me excited, and I'm sure it did others too. You used to be able to think that you'll have this good player around for at least 3 years. Now, why bother getting excited at all? Even after the 2nd portal window closes and you're pumped about who you got, you can really only be excited for the upcoming season cuz they might be gone again.

Once die-hard interest starts waning....

I won't be able to do it, but if I had any self discipline, I wouldn't read any Gopher football news until the start of spring practice. Less pain and disappointment along the way. On the other hand, getting all the bad news in one dose could prove fatal.

Top Bottom