Braeden Carrington: "Before Ben came I never would have went to the Gophers."

In no way did anyone hoping he's fired or anyone supporting him have any impact on wins-losses or how long he remained the coach.
Way I see it Pitino had every opportunity to save him job by beating NW and Penn State and Nebraska on the road, at 9-11 with two road wins and the quality wins they picked up beating Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State and Sparty, he probably has enough to get a tourney bid where he more likely than not gets Gabe and Liam back in the fold. I thought that was doable down the stretch even with the injuries, they just didn't get it done. NW loss sealed it for him, than they squandered Carr's 41 point effort in Lincoln, completely layed an egg at Penn State after that. It was obvious it was over. Did not think Ben Johnson was the choice then, but I think he's going to turn out okay, big summer for him on the Recruiting trail. If he doesn't get Winter, I think Betts will be a fine alternative there, but Chatman could be the type of piece that defines the Ben Johnson era if he can land him. With Tubby, I always thought what if he'd landed Cory Joseph, with Pitino, it was what if Jarvis had been healthy or what if he took Wright instead of Jelly or what if he had landed Reid Travis. Hopefully we're not talking about Chatman in those tense

I think there is a lot hyperbole in all directions here. He said he wouldn't have gone to Minnesota before Ben recruited him hard during his AAU season. Pitino had offered him a scholarship but was fired before AAU started.
It took Ben until after the AAU season concluded to get a committment. And Carrington still wasn't/isn't completely sure he made the right choice if you listen to the first 20 some minutes.

That kid speaks like a man. MN got a great one with this kid. Confident, direct and emotion. Sounds more like a head coach than Pitino or Ben.

Yeah, but he also said it without being provoked and listening to the interview, you can be a fan of Ben, be excited to play for them but Carrington clearly went out of his way to say he wasn't interested in playing for the previous administration (Pitino). I am curious where he would have gone otherwise, probably Colorado based on what he said in that interview. Don't think the Florida offer was committable since they offered everyone at Sizzle when they were hoping to land Suggs and Chet. Maybe Seton Hall would have been a bigger player, but then what happens when Willard leaves for Maryland?
Agreed. I think a lot of folks in MN put stock into players from this state, which I think is fine, however, Braeden’s national ranking on 247 is #213. I know this is a seminal moment for the kid, but to me he’s just another 3-star/4-star wing whose going to have to work his butt off (I don’t care to follow mn high school hoops). I hope he does it, but he’s got lot to prove before he’s a difference maker on the court.

I've supported every Gopher coach and hoped for their success until the bitter end. What's your point??
That it was pretty obvious for a while he was a bad coach and bad recruiter and the GH faithful took up their pitchforks and excoriated anyone daily who dared to criticize little Richie.

That it was pretty obvious for a while he was a bad coach and bad recruiter and the GH faithful took up their pitchforks and excoriated anyone daily who dared to criticize little Richie.
True true. Another check casher In A long line of check cashers

And most of this board supported Pitino until the very end…but will now pretend they didn’t.
I sure did. And I will support Ben to the end as well. Both were put in a tough situation based on their experience and track record. I hope Ben does much better.

This is great news to hear from a local kid.

Totally false. Serious hyperbole there. Drop it with the little Richie stuff, that's foolish- he's gone.

Agreed. I think a lot of folks in MN put stock into players from this state, which I think is fine, however, Braeden’s national ranking on 247 is #213. I know this is a seminal moment for the kid, but to me he’s just another 3-star/4-star wing whose going to have to work his butt off (I don’t care to follow mn high school hoops). I hope he does it, but he’s got lot to prove before he’s a difference maker on the court.
I'll be honest, after Bossi made DJ Jefferson the number one ranked player in the State because the Tennessee coaches complained about his low ranking. I've lost of a lot of respect for him and 247 basketball rankings. I think Prep Hoops does a far better job, they have Carrington around 140, which I think is about right

I think there is a lot hyperbole in all directions here. He said he wouldn't have gone to Minnesota before Ben recruited him hard during his AAU season. Pitino had offered him a scholarship but was fired before AAU started.
It took Ben until after the AAU season concluded to get a committment. And Carrington still wasn't/isn't completely sure he made the right choice if you listen to the first 20 some minutes.
What? You are listening for something that isn't there.

I'll be honest, after Bossi made DJ Jefferson the number one ranked player in the State because the Tennessee coaches complained about his low ranking. I've lost of a lot of respect for him and 247 basketball rankings. I think Prep Hoops does a far better job, they have Carrington around 140, which I think is about right
That seems wild, what's the point of wanting your recruit ranked higher? Having a higher recruiting class means nothing if you don't win. What if he is a bust? Then it will be obvious they should have left his ranking alone.

That seems wild, what's the point of wanting your recruit ranked higher? Having a higher recruiting class means nothing if you don't win. What if he is a bust? Then it will be obvious they should have left his ranking alone.
Makes your fans and boosters happy.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but (IMO) I think you're missing some of the bigger picture here.

In 2020 - we missed out on every single player in the state ranked from 100-300 (0-5) nationally.
In 2019 - we missed out on every single player in the state ranked from 100 - 300 (0-4) nationally.
In 2018 - - we hit on both players ranked 100-300 (2-2) nationally - - and this is widely considered a good class.
In 2017 - - we missed out on every single player in the state ranked from 100-300 nationally (0-6).

I think the excitement you are seeing from this class is partially because many of us feel like we can drastically improve our roster if we can consistently recruit the mid ranked MN prospects. We don't have to land them all but landing a portion of them over a 5 year span could pay massive dividends.

For these two guys, Payne and Carrington, I personally believe they'll be better than their rankings. I don't think I'm seeing it through maroon colored glasses (I was strongly advocating for Payne while I was worried MSU would swoop in and take him).

With Payne, I just think there is more there than some of the evaluators. His style of play (IMO) is really difficult to find - - big bodied, active big with skill.

With Carrington, I just think he has a really high floor (probably limited ceiling). He does enough little things well (handle the ball, shoot, distribute, etc.) that I think he'll be a role player sooner rather than later. I actually think his ranking is more indicative of a perceived lower ceiling - - he isn't super athletic and doesn't have great size for a wing. Not every ranking comes from the same place - Omersa was ranked like 197 in his class and Gabe was ranked 198. Omersa was a high upside, low floor type. Gabe was a lower ceiling, higher floor type.

Pitino lasted longer at the U then he deserved.
I agree with that but I don’t agree with those who say Pitino has zero coaching ability. New Mexico dramatically improved in year one. He has recruited to take another step in year two.
Pitino has flaws a coach but he’s a capable DI coach.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but (IMO) I think you're missing some of the bigger picture here.

In 2020 - we missed out on every single player in the state ranked from 100-300 (0-5) nationally.
In 2019 - we missed out on every single player in the state ranked from 100 - 300 (0-4) nationally.
In 2018 - - we hit on both players ranked 100-300 (2-2) nationally - - and this is widely considered a good class.
In 2017 - - we missed out on every single player in the state ranked from 100-300 nationally (0-6).

I think the excitement you are seeing from this class is partially because many of us feel like we can drastically improve our roster if we can consistently recruit the mid ranked MN prospects. We don't have to land them all but landing a portion of them over a 5 year span could pay massive dividends.

For these two guys, Payne and Carrington, I personally believe they'll be better than their rankings. I don't think I'm seeing it through maroon colored glasses (I was strongly advocating for Payne while I was worried MSU would swoop in and take him).

With Payne, I just think there is more there than some of the evaluators. His style of play (IMO) is really difficult to find - - big bodied, active big with skill.

With Carrington, I just think he has a really high floor (probably limited ceiling). He does enough little things well (handle the ball, shoot, distribute, etc.) that I think he'll be a role player sooner rather than later. I actually think his ranking is more indicative of a perceived lower ceiling - - he isn't super athletic and doesn't have great size for a wing. Not every ranking comes from the same place - Omersa was ranked like 197 in his class and Gabe was ranked 198. Omersa was a high upside, low floor type. Gabe was a lower ceiling, higher floor type.
Yeah Payne and Carrington most likely are under ranked. Both are honestly ready to contribute next year. Payne will be able to hang physically and will be a great energy big. Him and Fox will definitely improve our rebounding. I think Carrington starts or is the first wing off the bench. He can shoot it and score and will be fine being the 5th starter. Will either be our best player in their 4 years here? Probably not, but they will be valuable and contribute. Both make good decisions as well and it's a good start for Ben's first HS class.

Yeah Payne and Carrington most likely are under ranked. Both are honestly ready to contribute next year. Payne will be able to hang physically and will be a great energy big. Him and Fox will definitely improve our rebounding. I think Carrington starts or is the first wing off the bench. He can shoot it and score and will be fine being the 5th starter. Will either be our best player in their 4 years here? Probably not, but they will be valuable and contribute. Both make good decisions as well and it's a good start for Ben's first HS class.
Carrington will be what we hoped Gabe would be. Payne has the highest ceiling for improvement. He’ll continue to get better and as he faces tougher competition on a consistent bases.

You may be right about Jefferson and his ranking, but overall Prep Hoops is a pretty terrible site. Many of their rankings don't make a lot of sense.

California is a good example where Dior Johnson, Vincent Iwuchukwu, Zion Cruz, and Jaxon Kohler are ranked in their national top 50 overall, but are nowhere to be found in the Southern California top 5, even though that's where they are from. They also have Henley ranked 3rd in the Southern California top 5, but nowhere in their overall top 250. That doesn't make any sense.

They also still have Lee ranked ahead of Carrington who's going to St. Thomas.

Last edited:

If Pitino had been canned two years earlier, then Ben would not have been ready. There is that.
Is that a joke? You're saying the last 2 years before being hired at MN was the experience that made worthy of a multi million annual contract and a b10 head coaching position. Is the same "last 2 years experience" applicable to everyone getting hired for a head basketball coaching position? Seems like stretch when his entire coaching career was as an assistant. As much as BJ is a superior XO's coach than Pitino, he was an assistant to Pitino and was head of recruiting for Pitino so you cannot say that BJ had no culpability in Pitino's success and failures.

Is that a joke? You're saying the last 2 years before being hired at MN was the experience that made worthy of a multi million annual contract and a b10 head coaching position. Is the same "last 2 years experience" applicable to everyone getting hired for a head basketball coaching position? Seems like stretch when his entire coaching career was as an assistant. As much as BJ is a superior XO's coach than Pitino, he was an assistant to Pitino and was head of recruiting for Pitino so you cannot say that BJ had no culpability in Pitino's success and failures.
Going to derail the thread a bit I’m sure, but I think you’re off on a couple things here.
1. The last two years he was an assistant with more offensive and defensive responsibilities than he was given with Pitino. Pitino relied on him mainly as a recruiter and for scouts.
2. Johnson isn’t superior to Pitino Xs and Os wise. That’s honestly one of Pitinos strengths. Getting guys to actually execute those things is a different conversation and where Ben will likely be far superior.

The lack of qualifications thing has been argued enough and most do believe he lacked there for sure.

Prep Hoops rankings are not much better. Their rankings are just as biased.

I appreciate this perspective, and understand how mn recruitment could be perceived as a more convenient way to build success here. However, I’m not as provincial as some and think Pitino’s problems were largely unrelated to the talent on his rosters. Anyways getting off topic…

My criticisms weren’t really meant at the board or how people here perceive him, but more about how he may perceive himself. I’m projecting a bit, but if Carrington’s words were meant to cast shade at Pitino, my reaction is to point out that he’s going to have to outperform his recruiting profile for this to qualify as an “impressive” signing for BJ. If his offers were light and his rating is 140-215, I don’t want to hear about whether he liked the last guy or not.

I agree with that but I don’t agree with those who say Pitino has zero coaching ability. New Mexico dramatically improved in year one. He has recruited to take another step in year two.
Pitino has flaws a coach but he’s a capable DI coach.
Your right, it is not as though he has zero coaching ability. Whether or not he is a capable D1 coach is debatable as his record in the Big 10 was among the worst in history for those that got 8 years. In his new job he got them from 11th to 10th in year one.

Top Bottom