Brady Hoke

jovs

Reaction score
Michelle Tafoya on WCCO radio said she shared a flight from San Diego to Minneapolis with Joel Maturi and Dave Mona last night.

Interesting. It seems like this search is definitely starting to assume clarity, and very quickly.

Doogie's source told him Maturi was going to be doing a lot of traveling in the coming week.

So its no surprise. Hopefully he hits Denver via the way home and then takes a car to Colorado Springs and brings back Calhoun!

Doogie's source told him Maturi was going to be doing a lot of traveling in the coming week.

So its no surprise. Hopefully he hits Denver via the way home and then takes a car to Colorado Springs and brings back Calhoun!

I'd love to see him make a stop in Dekalb, Illinois too. ;)

Damn that's interesting if it's true. Bad break for Maturi if he was trying to keep the trip quiet.

Damn that's interesting if it's true. Bad break for Maturi if he was trying to keep the trip quiet.

It was interesting because she said they told her not to read anything into going to a specific location because there could be multiple candidates in a location, not in San Diego though. She also said they didn't look to excited, hard to read anything into that, tired from the traveling, taking a red eye. Sounds like they are interviewing candidates though.

The guy is 38–46 in the MAC and MWC. Don't want him!

I believe he is 45-50.

7-4 so far this year. Of those four losses three were by three points to each of BYU, Utah, and Missouri. The other loss was a five pointer to TCU.

It was interesting because she said they told her not to read anything into going to a specific location because there could be multiple candidates in a location, not in San Diego though. She also said they didn't look to excited, hard to read anything into that, tired from the traveling, taking a red eye. Sounds like they are interviewing candidates though.

Maybe they were traumatized after having to submit to a TSA screening at the airport. That would about take the steam and excitement out of anyone.

If the Gophers hire Brady Hoke I will burn Bierman to the ground*.

*Don't call the cops, it's just an exaggeration.

Well, often times in these searches, a search firm will line up 2-3 interviews in one location (usually in a private hotel conference room somewhere) and that way they can better utilize time and resources. It is possible that the firm flew in a couple of candidates to talk. I seem to recall one of the most recent football searches (not Minnesota, but can't remember) that the AD interviewed something like 3-4 candidates over 2 days in a Cleveland hotel, of all places.

The guy is 38–46 in the MAC and MWC. Don't want him!

I think the overall record is quite misleading. See the following:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing
Ball State (Mid-American Conference) (2003–2008)
2003 Ball State 4–8 3–5 T-4th◊
2004 Ball State 2–9 2–6 6th◊
2005 Ball State 4–7 4–4 5th◊
2006 Ball State 5–7 5–3 T-3rd◊
2007 Ball State 7–6 5–2 2nd◊
2008 Ball State 12–1 8–0 1st◊
Ball State: 34–38 27–20 ◊ MAC West Division

San Diego State (Mountain West Conference) (2009–present)
2009 SDSU 4–8 2–6 7th
2010 SDSU 7–2 4–1 3rd
San Diego State: 11–10 6–7

His first years in both programs, but especially at Ball State, were really rough, and that always skews an overall record downward (whereas, if you come into a power program, typically the talent is in place to win right away). He has consistently improved everywhere he's been. Furthermore, he was D-Line coach at Michigan during Michigan's last era as college football superpower. D-Line has been our biggest downfall many times over the past decade.

I think the overall record is quite misleading. See the following:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing
Ball State (Mid-American Conference) (2003–2008)
2003 Ball State 4–8 3–5 T-4th◊
2004 Ball State 2–9 2–6 6th◊
2005 Ball State 4–7 4–4 5th◊
2006 Ball State 5–7 5–3 T-3rd◊
2007 Ball State 7–6 5–2 2nd◊
2008 Ball State 12–1 8–0 1st◊
Ball State: 34–38 27–20 ◊ MAC West Division

San Diego State (Mountain West Conference) (2009–present)
2009 SDSU 4–8 2–6 7th
2010 SDSU 7–2 4–1 3rd
San Diego State: 11–10 6–7

His first years in both programs, but especially at Ball State, were really rough, and that always skews an overall record downward (whereas, if you come into a power program, typically the talent is in place to win right away). He has consistently improved everywhere he's been. Furthermore, he was D-Line coach at Michigan during Michigan's last era as college football superpower. D-Line has been our biggest downfall many times over the past decade.

Looking at his record, Hoke has parlayed his best season at each school into a new job.

His recruiting looks good at San Diego State right now, I'd like to see how good his program would be in a few more years there to get a real gauge on him as a Head Coach. But with his background it seems like it would be a solid hire no matter what.

So......if Hoke's hired, I'm assuming we'd see him installing the West Coast offense here?

Dantonio's record at Cinci - 18-17
Kirk Ferentz at Maine - 12-21
Gene Chizik at Iowa St - 5-19
...I could find some more for you.

The point? Sometimes you need to take into account the programs where these records are accumulated. For instance, Charlie Weis has relatively the same winning percentage as Jim Harbaugh at Stanford.

Actually, the majority of Mason's wins came against inferior competition.

Assuming Hoke brings Al Borges with him, he will install an offense similar to the West Coast Offense, but they actually call it the "Gulf Coast Offense". Borges became kind of famous for it at Auburn. It's really similar (short passes, run after catch, pass catching TE, RBs who can catch....but it also goes more out of the shotgun and you'd want a more mobile QB). Here is a website that breaks it down for when Auburn installed the "Gulf Coast Offense".

http://www.wardamntailgate.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=15

And here is a much more indepth description of the GCO for when it got installed at FAMU (the website is a bit cumbersome, but good info).

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8020517/the-gulf-coast-offense-vs

A lot of that second website doesn't fit with what Borges does, but it still gives you an idea.

Assuming Hoke brings Al Borges with him, he will install an offense similar to the West Coast Offense, but they actually call it the "Gulf Coast Offense". Borges became kind of famous for it at Auburn. It's really similar (short passes, run after catch, pass catching TE, RBs who can catch....but it also goes more out of the shotgun and you'd want a more mobile QB). Here is a website that breaks it down for when Auburn installed the "Gulf Coast Offense".

http://www.wardamntailgate.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=15

And here is a much more indepth description of the GCO for when it got installed at FAMU (the website is a bit cumbersome, but good info).

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8020517/the-gulf-coast-offense-vs

A lot of that second website doesn't fit with what Borges does, but it still gives you an idea.

Very informative reply. Danke schein.

Michelle Tafoya on WCCO radio said she shared a flight from San Diego to Minneapolis with Joel Maturi and Dave Mona last night.

Maybe they were there to check out Decker's Broncos play the Chargers on MNF. We miss ya Eric.

Wouldn't it be sweet if they were connecting via San Diego from Stanford? Me likey.

I pretty much agree with this post. I also saw a little bit of the SDSU game on TV last Saturday. I might be fishing but there was a fairly sparce crowd at their home game even though they are having a very solid year. The thought crossed my mind that if Hoke wants to be the head coach of a big time program, its not going to be at San Diego State. That community just didn't seem to be very excited about a pretty good team. Thus my guess is that he might be interested in making a move. That would make me happy. On the other hand I'm about ready to adopt a "reverse psychology" attitude. Ever since Cal Stoll was brought in I have been happy and excited with the hiring of every new coach. This time I'm thinking that if I'm disappointed with the hire, then this might be just the guy to take us to heights not seen in decades. Go Gophers!

I pretty much agree with this post. I also saw a little bit of the SDSU game on TV last Saturday. I might be fishing but there was a fairly sparce crowd at their home game even though they are having a very solid year. The thought crossed my mind that if Hoke wants to be the head coach of a big time program, its not going to be at San Diego State. That community just didn't seem to be very excited about a pretty good team. Thus my guess is that he might be interested in making a move. That would make me happy. On the other hand I'm about ready to adopt a "reverse psychology" attitude. Ever since Cal Stoll was brought in I have been happy and excited with the hiring of every new coach. This time I'm thinking that if I'm disappointed with the hire, then this might be just the guy to take us to heights not seen in decades. Go Gophers!

My brother lives in San Diego. Trust me when I say they don't get too excited about any sports teams out there, esp. mid-major football. Not that they don't have their die hard fans, but the community as a whole has a lot of distractions from sports, most notably beautiful beaches and beautiful women.

Better opponents? Mr Cupcake himself?

Well maybe "Better" is a bit of a stretch but similar quality at times. Mason coached in the big 8 and big 10 though that's what I'm getting to. Hoke has not. I want leach damn it. We're gonna blow this hire too!!!!

Well, often times in these searches, a search firm will line up 2-3 interviews in one location (usually in a private hotel conference room somewhere) and that way they can better utilize time and resources. It is possible that the firm flew in a couple of candidates to talk. I seem to recall one of the most recent football searches (not Minnesota, but can't remember) that the AD interviewed something like 3-4 candidates over 2 days in a Cleveland hotel, of all places.

I completely agree with this assessment. The likelihood of going to, say, Georgia to interview Richt is not high. Not that I'm saying they talked to him out there, but the point is that both the coach and the AD would probably prefer to meet somewhere other than the coach's current home town as it would get picked up in a heartbeat.

Well maybe "Better" is a bit of a stretch but similar quality at times. Mason coached in the big 8 and big 10 though that's what I'm getting to. Hoke has not. I want leach damn it. We're gonna blow this hire too!!!!

Its not going to be Mike Leach. The earlier you realize this, the less the rest of us will have to deal with your unrealistic whining and bitching once the coach is named. Thanks in advance.

If the Gophers hire Brady Hoke I will burn Bierman to the ground*.

*Don't call the cops, it's just an exaggeration.

While I won't react like that to a Hoke hire, if they bring in Sumlin I'll bring the gas! ;)

I went to San Diego State for grad school and I attended half a dozen Aztecs games during my two years at SDSU. They have the most lethargic fan base you can imagine. They draw solid crowds for basketball (nice on campus stadium, pretty good team year in and year out, etc.) but football has consistently struggled to draw, even dating back to the Marshall Faulk years. SDSU has had put some solid players into the NFL, but trust me, it's a stepping stone for most aspiring HCs.

I always thought that they would go after Mason when we fired him, especially when Jeff Schemel was their AD. They have Steve Fisher as their hoops coach, Tony Gwynn as their baseball coach and I thought Mase/SDSU would be a nice landing spot for each to ride into the gorgeous San Diego sunset.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom