Bracket Names

mchiller

Reaction score
A question for those who know how the tourney is set up.

Why do they bother with naming the brackets Midwest, West, East, and South? It seems to have nothing to do with where the games are played in the first and second rounds. For example, UCONN is in the West bracket, but they play in Phili the first two round.

A question for those who know how the tourney is set up.

Why do they bother with naming the brackets Midwest, West, East, and South? It seems to have nothing to do with where the games are played in the first and second rounds. For example, UCONN is in the West bracket, but they play in Phili the first two round.

It has to do with where the Regionals are held. Hense Boston in the east, Memphis in the south, Indianapolis in the Midwest, and Glendale/Phoenix in the West.

I think in the women's tournament they have stopped calling them the directional names and just gone to the city names, i.e the Boston region, the memphis region..etc

Having Midwest, South, East, and West sounds a lot better than the city names the NCAA tried to use a couple of years ago (East Regional sounds a lot better than East Rutherford Regional).

Chiller:

They recently added flexibility for first 2 rounds to lower costs and make it easier for fans to attend games. However, rounds 3 and 4 are locked into the regional site (West in Arizona for example) which are located in those general areas of the country. I think that's why they keep calling i by geographic direction. They have to call them something so people can refer to they when describing a bracket.

Thanks

Top Bottom