Bowling Green coach Scot Loeffler at postgame podium to a reporter: “They couldn’t throw it from me to you.”

I don't think so. Defenses can hope for errant passes, sacs, deflections, interceptions, holding penalties (more common on passes). Much can go wrong on passes. Plus, when trailing, a steady rushing attack adds anxiety because of the clock. And weather and surface conditions can make passing even more risky. I would pass more than the Gophers do, but I'd still want a dominating, reliable rushing attack to be the foundation of my offense.
I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Nothing is more demoralizing than constantly getting the opposing offense to 3rd and medium or longer, and they still find a damn way to beat whatever you're trying to do to them for a first down completion. Which can just as easily be in-bounds with the clock running.

Come on Coach Loeffler; "change your best" (1).

(1) Real Coach PJ Fleck

I get the heat of the moment and the frustration, but there are better ways to express the same sentiment. Problems are that discourse across society on just about every subject has devolved into that of professional wrestling and somehow athletes and coaches also seem to think they are comedians.

Loeffler could have said, "We knew coming into the game that their quarterback was making his first start and that we could probably shut down their passing game. We succeeded at that, but couldn't stop their running game so that's on us." Instead, he tries to get witty and craps all over himself.

The game was basically an underperforming B1G team versus a middling-MAC team, both of which were missing key players. When in doubt, bet the team from the P5 over the team from the G5.

The comment comes at the 8:50 mark of the video. In context, he's talking about the team that can run the ball and be balanced usually wins and that they were too reliant on the passing game. As with most statements, it makes more sense with context.

The comment comes at the 8:50 mark of the video. In context, he's talking about the team that can run the ball and be balanced usually wins and that they were too reliant on the passing game. As with most statements, it makes more sense with context.

Much ado about nothing. It isn't like he urinated on Goldy at midfield.

I didn’t take that as a shot. But the handshake post game did seem like he wasn’t happy about something.

I should've known better.

Of course when you actually listen to him saying the words in context, it's all but completely benign and innocuous.

Huge problem with the internet. It's just font on background. Zero emotion, zero context. There's loads of context just in how people say things that gets completely stripped out.

Fake news

Greder is usually someone who I expect to do better.

This was pure clickbaiting.

You pass-happy guys are amusing. Gophers won by doing what they needed to do even ending the game in the Victory Formation. I loved the running attack (although I'd have had Nubin carry more times). There's nothing more demoralizing to a defense than a rushing team that keeps getting first downs. The only tactical mistake we made was that inexplicable series of passes in the second half that gave BGU a spark. Kramer did a fine job -- two TD passes with one interception that was caused by a blown OL assignment. Happy for the kid. I thank him and wish him well.
Sure, the run it up their throats works against a decent MAC team but it will never position the program to beat teams that can match us or surpass us in the trenches. I'm guessing most of the folks you characterize as "pass-happy" are just hoping for a competent passing attack that will even out the offense and bring us into the current century of power five football. The fact that we seem to have a significant portion of our fan base against this is nutso.

He was actually pretty complimentary of our team and it was kind of a compliment to our running game and we went and called him a fatter version of Bielema. It's been a hard year, we're a little on edge, but this is making me think we might end up winning that Gopherhole Ham of the Year trophy.

I didn't take offense to the comment. Seems more like a shot against his run defense than a shot at us. Even if it was a shot at us, the beauty of winning is you don't need to worry about what the loser says after the game because you said what you had to on the field.

Just like I'm sure Bielemas feelings weren't hurt when Brewster had a tantrum about the 2 point conversion because he just got done boat racing us.

There were a couple of games where if our tight end got a pass like the one Kramer threw instead of a wild fast ball, we might have had a win instead of a loss.
PJ made exactly this point in his post-game remarks. "Touch" and placement on short throws like the TE TD pass (and the TD pass to Spencer) equal the execution that was missing at critical times in the 2023 season.

He was actually pretty complimentary of our team and it was kind of a compliment to our running game and we went and called him a fatter version of Bielema. It's been a hard year, we're a little on edge, but this is making me think we might end up winning that Gopherhole Ham of the Year trophy.
There is no way he's a fatter version of Bielema (despite identical clothing/color choices). He is Bielema after successful Bariatric surgery.

Kramer didn't have much of a passing game, but he delivered twice in the red zone on TD passes that required accuracy, timing and touch. Two TD passes on a total of 26 yards passing? That's actually quite amazing--and showed the coaches' confidence in Kramer's ability to deliver the shorter pass in a critical situation.

Sure, the run it up their throats works against a decent MAC team but it will never position the program to beat teams that can match us or surpass us in the trenches. I'm guessing most of the folks you characterize as "pass-happy" are just hoping for a competent passing attack that will even out the offense and bring us into the current century of power five football. The fact that we seem to have a significant portion of our fan base against this is nutso.
I haven't looked up the stats, but the pass/run ratio during the 2019 season seemed about right. The two attacks should be complementary. Success at each enriches the other. Thanks for the conversation and be well.

Agreed. Context is huge. I only listened to about a minute around that 8:50 mark, but he seems like a very reflective, honest head coach. Second guessed some of his own calls, complemented Gopher calls. Seems like a good guy.

He wasn’t wrong, easy to see why AK was never benched in favor of Kramer
Agree. For those of us at the spring practice, it really affirms that while practice is fun to watch, live game action is a different animal. As others have said, Cole looked so good on his passing in that scrimmage. Oh well, glad we got the victory!

Agree. For those of us at the spring practice, it really affirms that while practice is fun to watch, live game action is a different animal. As others have said, Cole looked so good on his passing in that scrimmage. Oh well, glad we got the victory!
Sometimes spring practice is very telling.

I remember going to one and looking for some action from this Vic guy and .... he wasn't gud and this Tanner kid looked way more decisive.

Top Bottom