Bowl Watch!

MrGopher

The Anti-Sioux
Reaction score
According to CBSsportsline.com, its never too early to publish bowl projections

Not sure I agree with that, but thought id pass this along and see what people think. :)

1. Rose Bowl PennSt. vs. USC (PSU is Big10 Champ)
2. Orange Bowl OhioSt. vs. VAtech (OSU is at large BCS selection)
3. Capital One Bowl Michigan vs. OleMiss
4. Outback Bowl MichSt. vs. Georgia
5. Alamo Bowl Wisconsin vs. Nebraska
6. Champs Sports Bowl Illinois vs. NoCarolina
7. Insight Bowl Iowa vs. Missouri
8. Pizza Bowl Northwestern vs. Central Michigan
9. EagleBank Bowl Minnesota vs. Boston College (we replace ineligible Army in its tie-in game)

Bowl-less: Indiana, Purdue.

One of ESPN's two guys have picked us in that Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl vs. Central Mich.

And the other has us replacing a Mountain West team in the Humanitarian Bowl vs. Fresno St.

I think bowl season is about matchups.

I know the Bowls are about money and a fun trip but as someone who cant attend the games my concern is always about the matchups. If the Gophers cant make a bigger bowl playing a BCS Conference team we can compete with for a win is important to me. The Bowl season is a big kickoff to the next season rather than the conclusion of one. The extra practice and a chance to be on a nationaly televised game is great exposure. Plus getting win against a name opponent is terrific for recruiting. I matcup with a team like Boston College would be great unless of course we can go to a bigger bowl. I ahve always thought bowl season is more about winning a game against a good or equal opponent rather than the location where its played. Some of the best games are played not on January 1st but rather a December game where the number of televised games are limited and your the only game on.

According to CBSsportsline.com, its never too early to publish bowl projections

Not sure I agree with that, but thought id pass this along and see what people think. :)

1. Rose Bowl PennSt. vs. USC (PSU is Big10 Champ)
2. Orange Bowl OhioSt. vs. VAtech (OSU is at large BCS selection)
6. Champs Sports Bowl Illinois vs. NoCarolina
7. Insight Bowl Iowa vs. Missouri
9. EagleBank Bowl Minnesota vs. Boston College (we replace ineligible Army in its tie-in game)

If you showed me this a month ago, I would've agreed with you regarding Purdue's bowl hopes. However, after 2 games I'm seeing a lot of parallels to Tiller's first season when they went 9-3 and played in the Alamo Bowl. I doubt most people stayed up to watch the Oregon game last night where Purdue pissed one away ands should've throttled the Ducks but untimely turnovers cost them 17 points. I was originally chalking up an L for the Boilers when they visit the TCF in October but after what I've seen the past 2 weeks from both teams, I've changed my tune and think Purdue may actually be favored come October 10th. Keep an eye on Ralph Bolden. He's an emerging stud RB that nobody knows about.

If you showed me this a month ago, I would've agreed with you regarding Purdue's bowl hopes.

These aren't my personal picks, they are CBSsportsline's.

I hope Purdue manages a bowl game, just not at the expense of my Gophers. ;)

purdue's offense has surprised me in its explosiveness, but they just haven't had much defense to speak of..they are giving up way too many points and when they start facing stouter defenses during the b10 sched, that will hurt them

I guess I missed the announcement, but this is the first time I'd seen that the Motor City Bowl had been renamed the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. That is simply hideous. As if we needed another reason to do whatever necessary to avoid playing in Detroit...

Don't read too much into it, but I met a guy on campus from the bowl committee on Saturday, representing the Tostito's Bowl.

If we end up in detroit, as a former resident, I can guarantee that I will be staying in Windsor. Hell, one of their big events is bowling at Thunderbowl Lanes. BUT, the bars around the stadium are good. Everything else is grade A crap!

I guess I missed the announcement, but this is the first time I'd seen that the Motor City Bowl had been renamed the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. That is simply hideous. As if we needed another reason to do whatever necessary to avoid playing in Detroit...
Hideous is what I learned last Friday. It's a great tribute when a team plays in "Veteran's Stadium". It's not so great when they play in "Movie Gallery Veteran's Stadium". For those who don't like TCF Bank Stadium, it could certainly be worse.

If we end up in detroit, as a former resident, I can guarantee that I will be staying in Windsor. Hell, one of their big events is bowling at Thunderbowl Lanes. BUT, the bars around the stadium are good. Everything else is grade A crap!

The Windsor Ballet is famous!

purdue's offense has surprised me in its explosiveness, but they just haven't had much defense to speak of..they are giving up way too many points and when they start facing stouter defenses during the b10 sched, that will hurt them

Actually, Purdue's strength coming into the season was supposed to be it's defense and despite the points Toledo and Oregon put up, those numbers are a bit misleading. In the Toledo game, they pulled the starters in the 3rd quarter when it was 45-14. Oregon scored 2 defensive TD's and had a FG that was set up by another Purdue turnover in their own territory, so really, the defense was only responsible for giving up 21 points. I'm more concerned about the offense and Joey Elliot's turnovers. He has 5 picks and a fumble in 2 games and those turnovers cost them the game at Oregon.

After the third week, this is how CBS sees the Big10 bowls.

1. Rose Bowl PennSt. vs. Cal (PSU is Big10 Champ)
2. Orange Bowl OhioSt. vs. Miami (Fl) (OSU is at large BCS selection)
6. Champs Sports Bowl Iowa vs. GeorgiaTech
7. Insight Bowl Illinois vs. TexasTech

ESPN guys picked us in the Alamo Bowl vs. Missouri---or---The Humanitarian Bowl vs. FresnoSt.

All in all, not much has changed. The one ESPN guy saying we get the Alamo Bowl is a nice improvement. Also, I thought Mich St would have slipped just a bit in people's minds.... i guess not. I hope that Cal does make it to the Rose Bowl. In a perfect world, we would get a second crack at those boys. ;)

Top Bottom